2009.5 center stack vs. earlier - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

2009.5 center stack vs. earlier

I would like to understand the differences between the sound & automatic HVAC controls on the 2009.5 models and earlier. (The manual HVAC doesn't look to have changed.)

I know some of the information functions moved to the gauge cluster, although I haven't been able to find a good picture of it, so I can see why some of those buttons are gone.

But I don't see balance/fade and some other sound controls on the newer one, either. But they may have gone into that big center button that's unmarked. And I see a USB connection and would like to know what it does.

I tend to assume the HVAC is just the same under a different design, but I could be wrong.

Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:28 AM

Probably under the menu button.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Professional geek

The smaller knob to the right of the radio display with the musical note is what is used for the audio settings. Push in on the knob to step through the menus, spin the knob to change the settings.

The Driver Information Center is moved from the radio to the dash. It is a two line white dot matrix display, similar to the radio in clarity and resolution. I really like the newer displays better as they show a lot more, including the XM radio information (the older radios SUCK for this). It's also a much better display for the presets on the newer system.

The automatic climate controls are pretty similar but the manual climate controls are a lot different between the two series.

For the steering wheel controls, the button on the older series that selects the radio presets (marked '1-6') is replaced by a phone button so you can use OnStar without pushing the rear view mirror buttons. There is also a radio mute button on the steering wheel that is not on the older series. Oh, and Bluetooth was an available option in the new series!

Finally something to note is that the newer series totally changed the command interface to all the electronics. The older series uses what's called '11-bit LAN' while the newer series uses '29-bit LAN' and accessories made for one are not compatible with the other - though pretty much all the aftermarket accessories (iPod adapters for example) are available in both versions.

~ MattInSoCal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

Thanks for the info Matt. IMO the upgrades almost make up for the really stupid Big Middle Button, which I've dealt with in some rental Chevrolets and exremely dislike in both in appearance and functionality.

Almost.

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Matt.

Does the USB port have any function besides audio? I read that it plays MP3's.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Turns out the manuals for the 2009.5 models are still posted on Pontiac.com. They help a lot in understanding the changed controls. Here are the convertible ones (PDF format):

Owner's Manual

Get Acquainted Guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in