Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2009.5 center stack vs. earlier

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  FutureOwner 
#1 ·
I would like to understand the differences between the sound & automatic HVAC controls on the 2009.5 models and earlier. (The manual HVAC doesn't look to have changed.)

I know some of the information functions moved to the gauge cluster, although I haven't been able to find a good picture of it, so I can see why some of those buttons are gone.

But I don't see balance/fade and some other sound controls on the newer one, either. But they may have gone into that big center button that's unmarked. And I see a USB connection and would like to know what it does.

I tend to assume the HVAC is just the same under a different design, but I could be wrong.

Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
The smaller knob to the right of the radio display with the musical note is what is used for the audio settings. Push in on the knob to step through the menus, spin the knob to change the settings.

The Driver Information Center is moved from the radio to the dash. It is a two line white dot matrix display, similar to the radio in clarity and resolution. I really like the newer displays better as they show a lot more, including the XM radio information (the older radios SUCK for this). It's also a much better display for the presets on the newer system.

The automatic climate controls are pretty similar but the manual climate controls are a lot different between the two series.

For the steering wheel controls, the button on the older series that selects the radio presets (marked '1-6') is replaced by a phone button so you can use OnStar without pushing the rear view mirror buttons. There is also a radio mute button on the steering wheel that is not on the older series. Oh, and Bluetooth was an available option in the new series!

Finally something to note is that the newer series totally changed the command interface to all the electronics. The older series uses what's called '11-bit LAN' while the newer series uses '29-bit LAN' and accessories made for one are not compatible with the other - though pretty much all the aftermarket accessories (iPod adapters for example) are available in both versions.

~ MattInSoCal

#4 ·
Thanks for the info Matt. IMO the upgrades almost make up for the really stupid Big Middle Button, which I've dealt with in some rental Chevrolets and exremely dislike in both in appearance and functionality.

Almost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.