another wsib thread - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

another wsib thread

Yep, another "what should I buy?" thread.

I think I've finally narrowed down my next vehicle to the G6, 2006-2007. I've even convinced my wife, I think, that we should buy the V6.

So I'm going to look at a lot on Saturday that has 9 sedans, 2006/2007, V6/GT, all around $10k Cdn, between 45-70k km.

As I've said, my wife was set on mpg so she wanted the 2.4, but after reading lots of posts here and trying to explain gear ratios and heavier vehicle/little engine to her I think I've got her in the 3.5 camp. We were originally looking at the Cobalt SS and I've always driven V8/RWD mid-90's Camaros and Mustangs. Now I just need to decide on 06 V6 or GT or 07 V6 or GT. As far as I can tell only the 07 GT has the VVT with 22x hp. My reading has shown one member arguing that the nonVVT, 3.5 could get better mileage than the 2.4. Is the VVT the only one with the 6 speed auto? So do I choose the 200hp 3.5 with the 4 speed auto or definitely try for the 224hp VVT with 6 speed auto? I think the nonVVT 3.5 would be a good compromise to get me extra oomph and my wife gets her mileage. Our driving will mostly be city and most highway will probably involve the car being fairly loaded up.
If I was to decide on the nonVVT 3.5 should I opt for the 2006 V6, GT or 2007 V6? Is the warranty on the 2007 (which still gives me a bit of time on the powertrain) worth considering or don't worry about it? We are in Canada so is the rust warranty transferable and worth considering? Are there options I will miss out going 2006 V6 vs GT vs 07 V6 (ones only available to GT or 07) that would make one preferable?
Finally, I think, are the mods/response to mods fairly equal between the 06/07 or VVT/non-VVT? (I'm not supposed to consider this but I want to anyway Mod plans would be fairly mild (compared to my old rides) consisting of CAI, header, chip/tune.

Sorry for the long post, I have read a lot of posts, just needs some final thoughts to tie it all together

Maciej

PS - is the VVT or non-VVT easier to work on under the hood? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 PM
MonsterG6

Id suggest the 2007 one considering the 2006 year has had the most problems out of any year with this car. someone else will have more to say about it...

15% Tint All around, Black Overlays, Headlights, System w/ Woofer, and Compstar Remote start setup.
To Come: Rims, tinted Taillights, K&N Drop-in
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klixslide View Post
Id suggest the 2007 one considering the 2006 year has had the most problems out of any year with this car. someone else will have more to say about it...
I may have got my specs on the engines messed up, the wikipedia entry on the G6 is messing with my mind. Either way, the strongest contender for me right now is an 07 V6, looks like it's well optioned other than the 8 speaker sound system, nice wheels, sunroof (for my wife) and according to what the dealer has in the description its the 224 hp VVT 3.5? It's even got the red colour she liked, although I'm partial to the blue or white. Can't see much difference with the 07 GT other than an extra $1000 and different wheels.
Were there suspension differences in the V6 vs GT? Can one swap in sway bars and such from the GTP/GXP? I've read the strut tower brace threads and that will probably be the first mod followed by CAI.

Thanks

Maciej
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 PM
MonsterG6

The 2007 G6 saw more engine changes, and standard side torso and side curtain airbags (actually introduced late in the 2006 model year) were new. The GT now featured VVT on its 3.5 L V6, raising power from 200 hp to 224 hp. The 3.9 L V6 became an option on the GT, producing 227 horsepower in automatic transmission form and 240 horsepower in manual transmission form. The GTP was given a new 3.6 L DOHC V6 with 24 valves and VVT, producing 252 horsepower. It is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Midway through the model year the six-speed was dropped with the 3.9 L, along with its 240 horsepower output. The GTP convertible was also discontinued. For 2008, the GTP became the GXP with more dramatic styling cues, and the 3.9 L engine became an exclusive convertible option, with horsepower down to 222. SAE ratings also dropped the horsepower ratings on the 2.4 L and 3.5 L models to 164 hp and 219 hp (217 hp on convertibles), respectively.
i got this from wikipedia maybe this helps?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_G6

15% Tint All around, Black Overlays, Headlights, System w/ Woofer, and Compstar Remote start setup.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that's the wiki article that was messing me up. To me it suggests that the 07 GT got VVT but the 07 V6 didn't, same 3.5 as the 06. Everything else I'm reading, however, shows that 07 switched all 3.5's to the LZ4.
I think it then comes down to LX9 vs LZ4, which engine is better for what? Is the LX9 worth the hassles you suggested for 06's in your earlier post or is the LZ4 just better?
Reminds me of trying to figure out whether the LS2 or LS6 in the CTS-V was the better choice

Thanks for the help

Maciej
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 PM
MonsterG6

i found this on g6performance.com
http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=17162&page=1

Originally Posted by snowmanG6
seriously though the LZ4 is the non VVT model. the LX9 is the same motor but with VVT.

Other way around. LZ4 = VVT, LX9 = non-VVT

those posts should explain it all

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

I think we were looking at the same pages at the same time I'm probably over-analyzing and should just go with the 3.5 that offers the most value, minimal impact from one 3.5 to the other.
Can't wait til Saturday.

Thanks

Maciej

Quote:
i found this on g6performance.com
http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=17162&page=1

Originally Posted by snowmanG6
seriously though the LZ4 is the non VVT model. the LX9 is the same motor but with VVT.

Other way around. LZ4 = VVT, LX9 = non-VVT

those posts should explain it all
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 PM
MonsterG6

well hey, post up some pics when you get her/him, any suggestions for mods just ask or look around. Good luck!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 PM

Garage
The GT offers a sport tuned suspension, chrome/stainless (not sure which one) exhaust tip, and tap shift among other things over the V6 model
If you can get VVT model, more powa with better gas mileage too
Or better yet, go for the '07 GTP...gets you the 3.6 and 6-spd trans

06 GT - black on black
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so next question, how special is the sport tuned suspension? Is it more involved than different springs/sway bars/shocks? Easily replicated from junk yard finds or aftermarket?
I'm lucky I've got the wife looking at the 3.5 so the GTP is out, and also none in my price range that I've found

Thanks

Maciej

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN2SKI View Post
The GT offers a sport tuned suspension, chrome/stainless (not sure which one) exhaust tip, and tap shift among other things over the V6 model
If you can get VVT model, more powa with better gas mileage too
Or better yet, go for the '07 GTP...gets you the 3.6 and 6-spd trans
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 PM

I seem to recall a lot of 2006s having issues as well. I believe the 2006 had a lot of issues with leaking drainage tubes in the sunroof. An easy fix though, however the '06 seemed to be more common than most other years. Also I've seen people complain about the panoramic sunroofs too, also started in 2006. They look sweet but only when they open and close properly. From my time reading the forum threads it seems as though the G6 engines, LX9 or LZ4 engines are solid. And decent mileage to comparable size cars. Although it does depend on how you drive them. City driving I get about 10L per 100KM and highway is at least 8L/100km.

Black 2005 Pontiac G6 GT: (SOLD)
Mods: uPAC-GM11B Aux Input, red painted calipers, Black Arrowhead overlays, and CRAB Intakes.
Orange 1971 Ford F-100 Sport Custom:
Completely Stock -302ci
Silver 2010 GMC Sierra GFX edition: (SOLD)
Stock
Granite 2015 Chrysler 200c
Stock
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
The 2007 G6 saw more engine changes, and standard side torso and side curtain airbags (actually introduced late in the 2006 model year) were new. The GT now featured VVT on its 3.5 L V6, raising power from 200 hp to 224 hp. The 3.9 L V6 became an option on the GT, producing 227 horsepower in automatic transmission form and 240 horsepower in manual transmission form. The GTP was given a new 3.6 L DOHC V6 with 24 valves and VVT, producing 252 horsepower. It is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Midway through the model year the six-speed was dropped with the 3.9 L, along with its 240 horsepower output. The GTP convertible was also discontinued. For 2008, the GTP became the GXP with more dramatic styling cues, and the 3.9 L engine became an exclusive convertible option, with horsepower down to 222. SAE ratings also dropped the horsepower ratings on the 2.4 L and 3.5 L models to 164 hp and 219 hp (217 hp on convertibles), respectively.
i got this from wikipedia maybe this helps?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_G6
and depending on what your thoughts of "limited" version. they only made 3500 2007 GTP's.

Had a 07 GTP coupe, traded in for my GTI....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in