E85? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

E85?

Is E85 really worth getting as far as price and gas mileage? With gas prices going up I've been considering it, but don't know anything about it so I don't know if it's a good option. Any input appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Garage
Whats the price difference?
IMO it wouldn't worth it unless E85 is at least 30-40% cheaper, which I doubt it is. The problems is that you are probably going to lose about 30% off your gas mileage because of the high ethanol content.
Can the G6 even run on E85?

06 GT - black on black
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm pretty sure it does. I know mines flexfuel. Not sure how much it cost though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 01:20 PM

I too have a FlexFuel. About a month ago, I started using E85 and I cant tell a difference, except for price. Same power is there (that I can tell) as well as fuel economy. The price here is about a $.60+ difference.

Only the G6's with FlexFuel are made to run off of E85 I believe. If your vehicle doesnt call for it, then DONT USE IT!

I have not lost any gas mileage. Still fill up once a week. Same amount of power.

In winter, the ethanol base of the gas will increase due to the cold weather. (there is a date posted on the pump where I fill up)

G6Whitie

Last edited by G6Whitie; 06-26-2011 at 01:23 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Yeah mine is flex fuel. I was under the impression that E85 is cheaper, but I'm not sure on that because we dont have any locally. I've been trying to decide if I want to try it, but if there's no difference then I think I'll wait.

2010 G6 GT Black 41,000 miles. Under GMPP Major Guard warranty until 112,000 miles.

~Regina
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:55 PM

The only difference I can tell is the price. E85 being cheaper. Now, saying that, E85 is perfectly fine to run in FlexFuel vehicles. (engine is made for it)

If you have an Android type phone, download the app called: KeenDriver (green leaf with a white gas pump picture)

You can find gas stations that sell E85 around you with that.

By the way, around me, E85 is about 30-40 cents cheaper.

G6Whitie
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

I tried looking for that app on my iPhone but it's not listed. I'm going to try looking it up online. .30-.40 is a pretty good difference I'll be trying it for sure if I can find it locally for a good price difference. The salesman told me you get about 5 miles less per gallon so I'm glad to see that isn't true. Now I know this may sound like a dumb question, but is it ok to mix it with regualr gas at first or should I run it as close to empty as possible before I switch to E85? Thanks

Edit: I found a station within 30 miles of my home. I called and the prices are 3.05 which is .44 cheaper so I'm going to go there.

2010 G6 GT Black 41,000 miles. Under GMPP Major Guard warranty until 112,000 miles.

~Regina

Last edited by reginaalear; 06-28-2011 at 10:26 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 AM

Yes, its ok to mix. You can have 7/8 tank of regular unleaded and 1/8 tank of E85 or the total opposite of 7/8 E85 and 1/8 regular unleaded. (also all the variations between)

$.44 cheaper is a plus! You will be saving almost $1.00 per 2 gallons of gas! I would make your first fill-up when you are around that area......dont waste gas to get gas. Keep up the search as well, stations are picking up E85 all the time.

I ran regular unleaded for about the first 2 weeks having my car as I was searching for an E85 equipped station. After switching, I really havent been able to tell a difference at all.

Plus, its better for the environment! (lol)

G6Whitie
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Lifetime Member

E85 lowers performance, raises emissions and IMO sucks as much as fuel can suck!
Can you tell I don't like it.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...519_225336.htm

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...hlight=ethanol

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.

Last edited by geewhiz; 06-28-2011 at 03:01 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Now, I dont know alot but here is what I read on that first link and how I can compare to what I have experienced....

-and it burns cleaner than gas (how do emissions rise?)

-drivers have to make more frequent trips to the pump (i fill up once a week and drive my car literally everyday....same when I used regular unleaded)

-Is ethanol cheaper than gas? Surprise, surprise, it isn't. (this is false)

A computer system can probably nail down everything to a t and show me power loss and so on but as I said before, I cant tell a thing running E85.

G6Whitie

Onto the 2nd link.....
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I finally got E85 today. I also got to use onstar directions for the first time so I was pretty happy about that. As far as anything else goes I can't say I'm so happy. I can smell it when I start my car, but I overfilled it so maybe that's why? My gas mileage has dropped from 23.7 to 16-17 mpg. I do notice a little more power or less hesistation. I don't think it's going to be worth the .29 cent difference. I'm glad I tried it once though.

~Regina
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Lifetime Member

If I write a review on a product I'm pushing then I hardly believe I'll give my product bad marks. Most (if not all) pros to E85 are from government run/funded organizations; E85 is a scam.
E85 is not cheaper to produce than gasoline, its not "better" for the environment and it does not produce less emissions w/o diminishing performance. These statistics that get shoved down our throats are lacking real data that matters; they play on the average Joes’ ignorance and unwillingness to research themselves.
Statistics are a fool’s proof. But hey, these are just my opinions from life experiences.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaalear View Post
Ok so I finally got E85 today. I also got to use onstar directions for the first time so I was pretty happy about that. As far as anything else goes I can't say I'm so happy. I can smell it when I start my car, but I overfilled it so maybe that's why? My gas mileage has dropped from 23.7 to 16-17 mpg. I do notice a little more power or less hesistation. I don't think it's going to be worth the .29 cent difference. I'm glad I tried it once though.
Leaving the E85 out of question, you were only getting 23.7 mpg with regular gas?

*Edit* I just asked my fiance about her mpg and she said she is getting 27-28 in town and 31-33 on the highway. She has an 07 GT. I guess alot depends on how you drive. I wont debate this issue. Just seemed a little low to me at first. *EDIT*

I just filled up tonight, a full tank from lower then "E". It cost me $42.50 at $3.28/gal. My "Fuel Range" says 369 miles. This week, or next, I will make sure to do some calculations and figure my mpg out. I run straight E85.

G6Whitie

Last edited by G6Whitie; 07-02-2011 at 11:34 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 01:08 AM

You guys really need to do more research on this stuff.

Some are real close, yet still misconstruing info. If I had more time, I'd fill in the gaps-maybe Monday I will.

Line-up:
2008 G6 GXP -Hers
2007 TBSS AWD 420AWHP-MINE!
2000 GP GTP-FOR SALE-MINE!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Whitie View Post
Leaving the E85 out of question, you were only getting 23.7 mpg with regular gas?

*Edit* I just asked my fiance about her mpg and she said she is getting 27-28 in town and 31-33 on the highway. She has an 07 GT. I guess alot depends on how you drive. I wont debate this issue. Just seemed a little low to me at first. *EDIT*

I just filled up tonight, a full tank from lower then "E". It cost me $42.50 at $3.28/gal. My "Fuel Range" says 369 miles. This week, or next, I will make sure to do some calculations and figure my mpg out. I run straight E85.

G6Whitie
Yeah I only get 23.7 that's based on what the DIC says. I've never seen anything over that, but would be nice if I ever do. I was told I would get about 3mpg less by getting a 6cyl. Compared to the 4, but I liked the GT. I've been trying to figure out how to get a little better mileage. With my 05 taurus I had up until Feb. Got 16-18mpg so I'm alot happier with 23.7 but when I had my 01 grandam I got 30-32.

~Regina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in