To Paint or not? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

To Paint or not?

I have only had my Black G6 GT Sedan for a few months, but I've noticed a lot of scratches. I didn't notice them when I bought it, but I think they had it covered up somehow or something at the dealer because they started showing up not long after I got it home and a few washes later. Is it possible for them to fill them in or something to make them not noticeble? My main question is should I just go ahead and get it painted or is there something else that can be done? If I do get it painted should I stay with black or go with something else? I'm going to try to add a picture. The scratches aren't visible in pictures but it is in real life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

here's a side view
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 11:17 PM

I personally think that the paint jobs for g6s aren't the best, there are plenty of things that can take out small scratches, Strach Doctor I heard works well haven't tried it on my car though. If money isn't a problem I would go with a higher quality paint job.

2006 Pontiac G6 Sedan 3.5 V6
Mods: Drop in K&N Air Filter, Partially debadged, Vinyl overlay on door trim and darts.
To come: Ehaust, Tint and much more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm not sure how much a paint job would be, but if it's a lot I guess I could save for it. I tried the meguairs sratch x and it looked like it worked when I first did it, but a few hours later they were back. I was wondering if buffing it might take them out. I don't much about paint or scratches so I don't know if that would actually work. Any ideas on how much a high quality paint job might cost? I was considering taking it to a detailer to see what they could do with it. Thanks for replying.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 PM

A detailer is not a bad idea to try. If any body shops in your area are willing to take on small jobs, they might be able to sand and repaint.

I've had two cars painted by Maaco, with their medium quality paint job, in the $500-$800 range. Both came out well. Mind you, that was keeping the same color. Changing is a lot more expensive if you do it right, because you have to do inside the hood, trunk, & doors. I would also suspect that covering up black with something else might be tricky.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 04:30 PM

I would try a local body shop first. most of the time they can buff out small scratches, dents. Most of them you can ask for a quote on diffrent things.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you to both of you. Would a detailer be able to do the same thing as a body shop or should I just take it on to a body shop? I was told by the detailer they would buff it for $150.00
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 PM

Well my pops always hits things and scrapes paint or dents some rental cars LOL
And he brings it back the same day with no sign of a hit (mind you there small) and he always takes it to a body shop. There a guy on this forum cant remeber his name who is a professional detailer. Wish he would chime in.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 PM

A mild buffing is all a detailer could do--might work for minor scratches. Anything more needs a body shop for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in