Newbie here...hope you can help me out - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Newbie here...hope you can help me out

Hi! After our Grand Prix was hit and totaled last year, my folks replaced it with an '06 GTP sedan. It is basically my car, but my Dad may need it from time to time. With that info here is my dilemma. I want that smooth,throaty-growly sound the Grand Prix had, so I researched and decided on the magnaflow mod for the exhaust. Finances keep me at that system. Issue? My family is concerned about getting ticketed for aftermarket exhaust. It's one thing if I get the ticket, but if my Dad gets pulled over, off goes the magnaflow and back to the quiet. I do not have any other attention getters...silver sedan, standard spoiler, no hood scoops etc. So, anyone who's modified, have you gotten a ticket? Can anyone tell me if their magnaflow sounds like the Grand Prix or louder? Mods~please move if this is in the wrong place!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:13 AM

Garage
only would be pulled over if it exceeds decibel levels in your state, county, city, etc.

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks ! Our level is 93 I *think*...but legally here in IL, if the aftermarket system is louder than the stock, you are in violation. I would love to do all kids of stuff to my GTP , LOVE the car but am trying not not draw attention of getting the exhaust (it is killing me) The good thing is it is not a moving violation if ticketed, basically $75 ...but so many here have put on aftermarket systems, if anyone can tell me a decibel range they are at? Sorry to sound like an idiot, just really don't want my parents to have to worry about it..and it took me a long time to save up for the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 09:58 AM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
the only way you'd get in trouble was if you didnt have the res in and was rumping on it through town... if you do a nice exhaust you'll get a nice rumble/roar with out the annoying head turn of people asking wtf did he do to that car.... your not going to sound like a 5.3L v8 truck with duals.. its a v6 so as long as you do a nice exhaust your not going to have any issues
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopeTHEg6 View Post
its a v6 so as long as you do a nice exhaust your not going to have any issues
x2 i'd do a little lookin around here...some members have had success with flowmaster 40 and 80 series', either leave the resonator in or replace with a glassback and you won't have to worry about getting pulled over at all

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:26 PM

I replaced mine for flowmaster 40 series and i love it. It isnt too loud and its not quiet. It sounds nice when accelerating and idling. Its not loud enough to get you in trouble..almost sounds like a stock corvette or something

I have the g6 GXP so it should sound good on yours as well.

2008 G6 Gxp Street Edition

Mods:Interior LED Neon Lighting, Debadged, 20% Tint, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, Res delete, Alteza black housing taillights, Spyder black housing headlights, CRAB O3 CAI, Airraid Throttle Body Spacer, Racingline Strut bar, 91 OCT WAMS Tune.

Audio:400.1 Kicker amp, 12" Kicker CVR Ported Box
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Question

yea thanks for the positive replies, cops in my town have a hard on for anything out of order. still gotta convince my parents that it cant be THAT loud it is as you guys say still a v6 and i agree i aint driven a mustang "yet" the guys at the exhaust shop told me its pretty much an attitude deal with the cops if their pissed off theyre gonna pull you over its just a matter of how much attention you bring to it, thanks for the replies and the flowmaster suggestion, just one more question does that exhaust you got for the gxp, volume wise, is it "louder?" or just a nice tone. compared to stock.

Last edited by Red Bull G6; 08-05-2011 at 01:08 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:45 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
get on youtube and show your parents the exhaust... if you look at the videos with resonator deletes, let them know your car wont sound anything like that because you'll be a good boy and put the glasspack in replace of it!

look for 80 series flowmaster on g6
look for 40 series flowmaster on g6
look for 44 series flowmaster on g6
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Two things:

1) tickets in Illinois are $120 now, not 75.

2) I drove around in a heads and cam (.619 lift) GTO with long tube headers and magnaflow cat backs for for YEARS (102k on the ODO when I traded it) all around northern Illinois without an issue. So a magnaflow catback on a G6 won't be an issue. But you are correct on the exhaust law.

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bull G6 View Post
yea thanks for the positive replies, cops in my town have a hard on for anything out of order. still gotta convince my parents that it cant be THAT loud it is as you guys say still a v6 and i agree i aint driven a mustang "yet" the guys at the exhaust shop told me its pretty much an attitude deal with the cops if their pissed off theyre gonna pull you over its just a matter of how much attention you bring to it, thanks for the replies and the flowmaster suggestion, just one more question does that exhaust you got for the gxp, volume wise, is it "louder?" or just a nice tone. compared to stock.

Its not loud and obnoxious like some v8 mustangs and other muscle cars are. Its really just a nice tone. A little deep tone that is just noticeable. Nothing thats gonna piss anyone off or draw too much attention..ive had people tell me that it sounds really nice..not to loud not to quiet but just noticeable

Mods:Interior LED Neon Lighting, Debadged, 20% Tint, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, Res delete, Alteza black housing taillights, Spyder black housing headlights, CRAB O3 CAI, Airraid Throttle Body Spacer, Racingline Strut bar, 91 OCT WAMS Tune.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 08:03 AM

Garage
stridex what'd you do with the res?

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

cool the vid quality is a little low on some of the videos but ill keep looking at that thanks!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverttheclown View Post
stridex what'd you do with the res?
I still have the stock res but i just ordered a 23" cherry bomb glass pack for it.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
so you still have the res and a glasspack on top of that? ive never heard of anyone doing that... thought the glasspack was to replace the res if you wanted a res delete? this is a question not a smartass comment, if you have insight please fill me in! knowledge=good for brain
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Garage
i think he will replace the stock res once the glasspack comes in...he said it was on order. how do you know how long of a glasspack to put in? and is it catback? or somewhere else back?

also, stridex, you get any rasp at all, even at higher rpms at WOT with that 40 series and stock res?

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red

Last edited by reverttheclown; 08-07-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in