GM, please bring back Pontiac - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to techdiver Send a message via Yahoo to techdiver
GM, please bring back Pontiac

Started drag racing in 1964 with a '64 Malibu SS in stock class, evolved to Modified Production. '66 Pontiac Tempest Sprint came next with Bo Laws modifications, Doug's Header's, etc. and return to stock class. Always wanted to drive a dragster so got an NHRA license via Frank Hawley's Drag Racing School. I've had my 2007 G6 for 4 years and have no plans to buy anything else, unless I hit the lottery. In which case I'll be shopping for a car to run in Super Comp that could evolve into Top Dragster. Closest friends in the drag racing world are the Kenny Lang Pro Mod team, a great group of guys. Needless to say, I love watching the Pro Stock guys with their Pontiacs. Had a chance to drive a SS/AM Pontiac, but I just couldn't afford it at the time since whatever winnings I managed wouldn't cover the team expenses and relicensing for a door car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Da.v3

o ya

Black 06 GTP Coupe

Performance: Full CRABs | RacingLine street MMIs + STB

Appearance: Tint - 35%r, 45%f | Tinted Alteza Tails | Black Halo Proj Eagle Eye Headlights |5000k HIDS in low and fogs w/ 100w hal in high | Red Leds under dash and behind grilles | White LED Interior Bulbs + Trunk, Plate | Bebadged w/ black overlays
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Professional geek

Too bad it will never happen. I fell in love with the Trans Am in 1974, WAY before I could drive, and though I've only owned two I have always had a fondness for Pontiac.

Welcome to the site! I'm a sport diver myself, and am totally OK with that.

~ MattInSoCal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:06 PM

I thought there was rumor that they would eventually bring pontiac back? I dont see why they wouldn't, it would be stupid on their part.

JT

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts08g6 View Post
I thought there was rumor that they would eventually bring pontiac back? I dont see why they wouldn't, it would be stupid on their part.

JT
That was the rumor, but it was only based in the fact that GM wouldn't sell the Pontiac brand like they tried to sells Saturn and Hummer.

This is just my guess, but we'll never see Pontiac come back unless a new CEO of GM has a hard on for Pontiac and brings it back some day.

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 PM

Pontiac had a large, loyal following, of which I am but one member. If Pontiac's fans and supporters lobbied GM to bring Pontiac back, who knows? If there's adequate demand for Pontiac, then GM--as a business--might respond.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 AM
G6's resident led guru

Garage
i say we get all the pontiac owners we can and cruise to general motors hq and see if we can't get pontiac back
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 07:46 PM
JNR

Yeah and the sad part is the total GM numbers seem to be strong without the brand (but imagine it with them) and it is all those corporate types think about anymore is dollars and not their image what the namesake means, etc. They just seem too disconnected from what the people want. I would love to see Pontiac again, but a true Pontiac, not some chinese sell-off; that would be the worst and glad that didn't happen; least not yet (selling to the chinese)...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR View Post
Yeah and the sad part is the total GM numbers seem to be strong without the brand (but imagine it with them) and it is all those corporate types think about anymore is dollars and not their image what the namesake means, etc. They just seem too disconnected from what the people want. I would love to see Pontiac again, but a true Pontiac, not some chinese sell-off; that would be the worst and glad that didn't happen; least not yet (selling to the chinese)...

I tell ya what, after owning a GTO and being in a G8, I'd gladly have GM bring over the entire Holden line re-branded as Pontiac's!

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:17 PM
JNR

I had a 2006 GTO also and agree they should use more of the Australian cars (Holden) and rebadge them as Pontiac here, like they did with those...They were getting so on track and then, boom...Same thing with Hummer...and maybe even Saturn in some ways. Guess that's what happens when you have to ask for a bailout and then at the government's mercy. I haven't followed the latest from GM and where they're at now, but want to say they repaid the loans at least?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 PM

In time, the Feds will finally be out of GM's hair, and then GM will be free to resuscitate the Pontiac brand. I'll tell you what: I want Pontiac back in any way that it can come back. If it means re-badged Holdens, so be it. As long as the vehicles carry Pontiac's name and arrowhead. Pontiac was a great brand that simply MUST return. We as consumers must DEMAND that it return. The brand was TOO iconic---and had TOO LARGE and loyal a following---for it to STAY dead.

Last edited by Moanalua; 09-26-2011 at 08:46 PM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Gpof59

I think GM dumped Pontiac so they didn't have too revitalize the plants in Pontiac Mi. With the Goverment bailout and dropping of Pontiac, Saturn,Hummer, it's no surprise they are in the black now. Anyone been to Pontiac MI. lately? It's a ghost town. It would be really great if the Pontiac brand came back. I take Pontiac over Buick anyday.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Autobot Mechanic Lycan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pof09G6 View Post
I think GM dumped Pontiac so they didn't have too revitalize the plants in Pontiac Mi. With the Goverment bailout and dropping of Pontiac, Saturn,Hummer, it's no surprise they are in the black now. Anyone been to Pontiac MI. lately? It's a ghost town. It would be really great if the Pontiac brand came back. I take Pontiac over Buick anyday.
my thoughts exactly.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pof09G6 View Post
Well, GM SHOULD renovate those Michigan factories; the people in the city of Pontiac could sure use the employment. Now that GM is profitable again, it can afford to revive the Pontiac brand. Pontiac SHOULD be brought back. It was a strong, iconic legacy brand, and it had a large, loyal following. Pontiac had been outselling Buick TWO-TO-ONE!

Last edited by Moanalua; 02-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 PM

They had to axe Pontiac because it had been losing money for years. I think only the Vibe and the Grand Am/G6 were profitable.
It's ridiculous I know. GM viewed Pontiac as a damaged brand and they were the one that damaged it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in