Just picked up my g6 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Just picked up my g6

Got a 08 g6 gt coupe. Have a few question. Do not know if they can be answered here?

1. How do u not make windows go down when opening door, then go up when closing. Only reason asking is cuz winter is gonna be here soon in NY and i know past cars windows have froze and i do not want to damage window/motor b/c of this feature.

2. I am taking that ebay is the best place to order the automatic starter/door opener key chain thing/remote. The car only came with key, n person told me they think it had remote start, n after messing with some things on the center console it came up with an option of remote start and was on, so yes this is confirmed.

And finally
3. This is my 1st real car, other ones just got me by for school and work mostly older buicks. What is the best way to keep my car in tip top shape, also for winterizing it. I want to keep up with oil changes, when ever a good time to tune up, etc. Also was thinking of getting winter tires or are the stock tires okay for the winter? I really want to keep it as clean as i can for the winter, try to make sure the upstate winters n salt do not effect it too bad so when spring comes around i can start to do w/e modding to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:25 PM
GXP

1) i dont think you would have a problem damaging the window during the winter, all coupes windows are the same.

2) online sites sell the key fob for like 60$, so yes ebay would be your best bet. Im actually buying one now from ebay with remote start then having it programmed for my gxp. Just get the factory gm key fob for the G6.

3) undercoat would be your first priority since winter is coming up, winter tires isnt a must but it would always help.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 PM

You can buy a factory key fob off ebay for $ 22. That's where I got mine and it works great. I think dealers charge $ 50 to program it also.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide App

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Garage
welcome..im also from NY, in Syracuse. for preventitive maintenance, consult your manual its got it all in there.

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for feedback... I also heard a locksmith can program the key fob for cheaper. Saw 2 on ebay yesterday gonna pick one up today.

The door thing i dont know if u can not make it go down when you open the door, i think that is to prevent the window from break or something when shutting? I am just concern cuz i had a window freeze n when i went to press the electric window down so i can see out it the motor broke
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 PM

You can't disable the window indexing on the coupes.

Mods: GT-R exhaust, CRABs O3 w/FPU, 35% tint, 5000K HID lows/fogs, upper/lower recessed grilles, Racingline strut bar, concept darts, white LEDs everywhere
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 06:35 AM

There's a seller on there who claims they can program it for you or send instruction on how to do it yourself. Does that sound feasible? Here's one I'm looking at here
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 AM

I haven't tried it yet, but in the owners manual, it states that if you disconnect the battery, you have to "re-learn" the window indexing after you reconnect the battery. I just don't know if the window defaults to always being indexed or always being up???

The pic below is what I'm talking about:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1322845680.766719.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	2610  

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Mr. Steal Your Girl

Congrats on your buy enjoy your 6
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:37 PM

to GOTZAG6, the manual says that you have to re-learn the window indexing when you remove the battery but i've removed my battery numerous times on my vert and never needed to re-learn the indexing. I guess it's saved in it's memory.

5% tint, red brake calipers, rear parking sensors,LED licens plate light, LED reverse lights.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Autobot Mechanic Lycan

Garage
i also have a g6 for my first car. #pontiacswag
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM

Hi BishopsG6.

Had my G6 GT 2008 since last year. I live north of Montreal and know what you mean about being concerned about the windows in winter. Here's a little trick I've been using that works 90% of the time. Just keep you window scaper in the trunck of your car and guess what... Before you get open the door it is best to scrape any ice or snow pilled up at the base of the window. Works great for me. I have the odd times where even doing so the window will stay jammed up. I just am careful when closing the door. Other than that. No worries for me yet.

Cheers!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscuracao View Post
to GOTZAG6, the manual says that you have to re-learn the window indexing when you remove the battery but i've removed my battery numerous times on my vert and never needed to re-learn the indexing. I guess it's saved in it's memory.
Wouldn't be the first time GM put something wrong in their owners manual! My GTO's manual had the wrong amount of oil to put into the motor and the wrong sequence of events to reset the oil life monitor, so I can totally see that window thing is wrong too.

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 05:34 PM
New Fan of the G6

To BishopG6

Congrats on your new ride! I just purchased my G6 11-05-2011 in Augusta, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in