Miss My Old Car, But.... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Miss My Old Car, But....

Hello all,

I'm a somewhat new owner of a 2007 Pontiac G6. I got it in August of last year after I got rear-ended by a Toyota Tundra on the highway going about 65mph.

For some reason, being a girl and being a huge car person is a shocker for many people that I know. I guess my friends see me as the too girly type, haha.

Now for the sappy story of how I got a G6. (You can skip over this, haha) My first car was a 1986 Ford Thunderbird Elan. I loved that car like it was a person. I mean, everything on it was electronic and functional because I took time to fix them. I had also put a new paint job on it before it was totaled. Watching that wrecker take away that car, it was like a part of me was torn apart...

Anyway, I needed a car that I liked and it fit my budget. Being a college kid, I'm broke as hell. I went to every kind of dealership possible. None of these cars were clicking for me. So, as a last resort, we stopped at the final dealership for the day and I told the guy "Need a good car that's cheap" He showed me a G6. I test drove it and loved it... but it was nothing compared to my old car. He said the asking price was $12,000. Long story short, I talked him down to $8,000.

It's taken me some time to get used to caring about this car like I did my old one and now I am starting to. I wax it; wash it and clean it regularly (not that I didn't before, I just care more nowadays, haha)

Since getting the car, I've only had a few problems with it (it had 98,000 miles). Being a used car with that many miles on it, I would have thought to have more issues.

1. Steering column/ball joints needed replacing ($300)
2. Solenoids needed replacing ($200)
3. Some fuses went out ($5)
4. Needed new tires ($600)

It will need a brake job here pretty soon, but that's to be expected. I'm a mechanic's daughter and I am no fool (: I have caught other automotive shops trying to rip me off before. I'm getting to like my G6 more and more nowadays as well (:

Well, that's my story. And if you actually read all of that, kudos to you, haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Welcome! I love my 6. (Would love to see the thunderbird if you have any pictures of it!)

Performance
CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

A few pictures of the Thunderbird: (I took the centercaps off; it had just gotten painted when these pictures were taken)
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6259/imag0103g.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4640/imag0104dv.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3751/imag0105dw.jpg

Picture that put it in the junkyard: (broke the frame)
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/426/imag0248g.jpg

The G6 after I waxed it:
http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/2858/imag0291i.jpg

I know I enjoy looking at pictures of cars (:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 PM

What do you have in mind for the 6? Any modding?

Performance

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Maybe. Just the general stuff first.

1. Get new headlamps and light bulbs
2. Upgrade the wheels
3. Get a higher grade sound system

Modding anything else seems like a stretch right now, but something I'd like to do eventually (:

I see that you need window tint for yours... I thought G6 window tint was factory. Mine is pretty dark and there's nothing in the record of having any tinting done.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 PM

From what I know, it's not stock to have tint... but I may be wrong.
The tint is my next "big money" project. As for now, I'm just doing a few inexpensive mods here and there.

Performance

Exterior

Audio
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 PM
G6's resident led guru

Garage
Ugh i am trying so hard to find my dad a 85 thunderbird elan and i have found nothing
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

That model of Thunderbird is very hard to find. Especially with the digital package like what mine had (digital dash, digital gas gauge, retractable antennae, ect) It would have cost 8K to fix. The insurance co gave me 5K for the great condition it was in. It was a great car while it lasted... If I knew where it went after it got towed away, I could direct you to some spare parts and brand new tires :/ haha
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
welcome!!

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 AM
CrAzY Moderator

I read all of it! HAHA Welcome to the club!

.~*Crazy J*~.

Appearance: Debadged, Black Overlays, LLumar 35% Windshield The Rest Are 15%, LED RL/BL, Fogs Lows and Highs are 8000K HIDS, G6 Vinyl Door Jam G6 Logo Covers, Custom Engine Bay Painting, Black Recessed Upper Grill, Red Caliper Painting, Tinted Tail Lights, Flexline Interior Lighting W/Remote.

Performance: Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, K&N CAI, Custom Strut Tower Bar.

System: Complete Kicker System (Tweeters, 6x9's, 6 1/2's, 2-12" CVX Subs, 1000 Watt Kicker Sub Amp, 350 Watt Kicker Internal Speakers Amp), JVC KW-AVX830.

Security: 5900 Series Viper Car Alarm, Custom Painted Remote
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Read it all too.......Welcome aboard.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:20 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Welcome to the site! A wealth of information here! What motor does your G6 have? Are you leaning towards more visual mods, Like improving the looks and styling, or do you plan to do some work to the motor, or handling n such?

I originally just wanted to make mine look really unique and show quality clean. But then one days the ideas started to spread thin and I just felt the need to spend more money... So I started doing work to the Engine and handling and such. But all in good fun!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Welcome to the site! A wealth of information here! What motor does your G6 have? Are you leaning towards more visual mods, Like improving the looks and styling, or do you plan to do some work to the motor, or handling n such?

I originally just wanted to make mine look really unique and show quality clean. But then one days the ideas started to spread thin and I just felt the need to spend more money... So I started doing work to the Engine and handling and such. But all in good fun!
Thanks :] I'm just working on improving the things it needs first; like new brakes and blower motor first... So, mechanical stuff is always first priority to me.

For now I just want to give it that "fresh out of the factory" feel. Take away some of that 101k wear and tear. I'd love to get a new engine in it though... right now I have a 2.4. I would love a 3.6 or higher, but money is potentially a problem due to college.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes =D
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I've got the 2.4 also, at first I didn't like it, but the motor has potential. And yea, fixing what needs fixing definitely takes priority over all the mods. I know my performance ideas are beginning to include expensive mods, But only as the money allows. haha
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Lifetime Member

Welcome aboard

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in