New member - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Howdy All. I've been lurking in the wings , reading up on the car for about a month now. Picked up one of the '06 G6 GTP models with all the extras that made it dandy. Panaramic roof, leather, the six disc in dash. Really the upper level options package.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/tijrt/g6side2.jpg

Oh, but to the sad news. I haven't seen many stastistics about the G6 and crashing, but I think it did rather well over teh weekend. Wife was doing 50mph when an SUV pulled out in front of her. The car turns out to be a wash. The wife came away with brusies, and seat belt cuts. Engine was pushed into the firewall and the entire dash pushed back. The majority of the force hit on the left center front where the battery and the electronic connectors are. Things just popped off like candy.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/tijrt/car2.jpg

Things are groovy for us. Reason I post this posthumous introduction is because I don't think anyone's yet had the chance to see the car's reaction to hitting a 4,000 pound object at 50 mph. I'm actually quite happy with the results. No major bang ups, just cuts and bruises.

One thing that has me a bit upset about is that after the wreck, the doors did not auto unlock. Wife had to press the button before she could get out. Should I be concerned that this was a result of the point of contact in the crash (electronics suite connections seemingly popped right off) or just a flaw by design? Any thoughts would be good.

As to a replacement, maybe in a few weeks I go find a remaining 06 GTP somewhere for a good price. I can't say I'm too happy with the 07's gearing and engine, but I figure gearing can be adjusted by anyone with a wrench.

Kind of a weird new member introduction, but that's the way lurkers do.

Last edited by tijrt; 07-04-2006 at 06:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:33 AM

Well sorry to hear about the bad news, glad she was ok. I've heard and read good things on the G6 crash results so that's a good thing. Probably best to wait til the 07's hit the lot in these next few months, for finding the best deals anyway.

Welcome aboard.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Figured I'd give you guys an updated set of pics. Everything from the passenger compartment back is apparently undamaged.

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/tijrt/

Sorry for the redundancy, but considering our G6 was the first one totalled in our area (NW GA USA), figured it would help folks having doubts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 08:07 PM

Welcome to the club. Glad to hear that everything worked out ok for your wife. The car may be done for but that is what insurance is for. Nice to see that te G6 holds up well during a crash like that.

Btw, it looks like you had the manual tranny? The 07' GT performance package, or something like that, comes with the same combo, however I don't know if you can get all of the features included in the GTP on that. It might be worth checking out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:44 AM

Welcome to the club! I'm glad that your wife is ok and God protected her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in