G6 or not to G6 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

G6 or not to G6

Hello,

I currently have a 99 Grand Am GT. IT has been a fun car to drive. After the 120K mile tune up, it runs just like new. I have had the LIM problem at 70k miles and now again at 120k miles (had it fixed at the time of tune up).

My gripe now is that when the dealer was trying to fix the fuel tank sensor, he damaged one of the fuel lines(my guess). The check engine light comes on at a half tank with code P0440.

The dealer Customer Service rep called me and the Service department put a note on my account that the GA is in great condition for its mileage. They want me to trade it in so they can have a 99 GA in the used car lot...it is void of GA's in that era.

I have an appointment Monday to test drive a G6. Is there anything I should pay attention to? Should I buy a 1st year model? Should I keep the old GA and wait? The G6 looks hot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 07:57 PM

The only thing I am aware of at this time is the BCM recall (door unlocks on their own/trunk pops) but I havn't seen a ton of complaints out of the few people on here. I had the problem but it was fixed under the recall and I have had zero issues other than my CD player occasionally telling me to get bent. LOL

Test drive it and make your decision.. I was pretty impresed with the over all feel and how much more room there was than in the grand am. If they offer you enough for your trade it I would definately be leaning towards 'yes'.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

As long as there is a recall and they will fix it at no charge, that is ok. How does that panoramic sunroof work? It looks like a set of blinds when it is open! I hope that is something that is not prone to breaking. My wife loves the Sunroof on the 99 GA and we have had no problems with it.

How is that radio? The OEM radio in my GA crapped out fairly quickly. I also did not like the subwoofer quicky that they pulled. Are the radio controls located on the steering wheel? I hate that since I will probally replace the radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 04:04 PM

Well the controls were not on my wheel..not sure if thats an option or not. I hate that 'feature' personally. Changing the radio out MAYBE difficult.. my factory unit is a 6 disc indash and has the drivers info console built in (clock, gas mileage, temperature, error codes, etc) They didn't really keep any audio enthusiest in mind when they designed that setup. I have the 6 speaker audio setup and it sounds decent..but could use a small set of 8" woofers IMHO.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER99
Well the controls were not on my wheel..not sure if thats an option or not. I hate that 'feature' personally. Changing the radio out MAYBE difficult.. my factory unit is a 6 disc indash and has the drivers info console built in (clock, gas mileage, temperature, error codes, etc) They didn't really keep any audio enthusiest in mind when they designed that setup. I have the 6 speaker audio setup and it sounds decent..but could use a small set of 8" woofers IMHO.
I probally would to buy new speakers at the minimum if they are the same qualityof 99 GA GT. They looked really cheap when I got them out compared with the Infinity setup I put in. Subwoofer....HA!HA! The CD player went out faily quick...skipping and etc. I am going to hate losing that stereo in the trade.

It doesn't look like the stereo supports WMA disk which is shame.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 07:17 PM

The CD changer only does CDA.. I am not sure about the quality but the stock system in my G6 is much better than the stock one in my gfs 99 GA SE. Of course Infinitys are going to be of a much higher quality.. thats a no brainer right there. I said it could use small 8s to pick up the deep bass the system seems to miss and reinforce the mids (without being overkill..like a 10 or 12).. otherwise it seems to hit the mid and high levels just fine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

My Dad told me about the sweet deal that they are offering retiree's families. Looks like we are going over to the dealer today! I guess the question is GT or not to GT? They have a staelth grey metallic GT on the lot!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Dealers

Looks like I am keeping the GA.

We test drove a black GT (that had a million swirlies in the paint) by ourselves. Seemed to be a nice car. The steering seemed a bit different than the GA. I guess that it was the electric assist. When my wife parked it, she noticed the turn radius was higher than the GA. She had difficulty parking it close quarters.

The only other G6 was in the dealer show room. The dealership went through a lot of trouble pushing the car out. We drove this with the salesman.

We sat down with the dealer. He gave us the GM employee discount which is gravy to the dealership. They get reimbursed from GM.

Everything is going ok.....they looked at our 99 GA. Kelly Blue book gave us $4150 as the trade in....that includes the high milage penalty.

The dealer offered $2200. I said that I would go down to $3500 but they stood firm. They even admitted that they can resale it at $5500.

So I walked.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 08:39 AM

Try another dealership if you're intersted in the G6. I had to go to 3 before I got a decent trade on my '99 SE2.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just walked out of a Honda dealer now. They severely low balled me. $1500 for the 99 GT. Then they went up to $2200. As we walked out they went up to $3000.

The pontiac dealer offered $2200.

Both dealers said that nobody uses Kelly Blue Book as a pricing guide. They use a auctioneer's black book.

The Pontiac dealer did call me today and left a message.

I am considering the Accord Ex or the G6. Both handled about the same. I liked the G6 's instrument panel and loved the panaramic sunroof.

I think that I am just shell shocked right now
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 12:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Krista
I am in agreement with S8ER99 on the stereo quality in the G6. While I absolutely love the car, they could have done better on the sound system. When you get in the G6 GT, you would almost expect to find an Infinity or Bose system. And yes, I have had the problem with the in-dash CD changer occasionally telling me to "get bent!" Other than that, fabulous car. I traded my 01 Grand Am GT in for this and I was quite impressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in