New guy - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

New guy

New guy checking out your forum. Thinking about getting one for my 16 year old daughter and figured I would research first before I buy. Anything I need to watch for on these vehicles while looking or suggestions on which engine is better and problems that people have experienced would be very helpful.
Thanks Sammy Hughes

Last edited by shonut91; 02-16-2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: wanted to get more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:55 AM

Location: Marine Corps Air Station New River, Jacksonville, NC

IMO it's a great car. The only huge thing I have noticed that everyone has experienced is the oil filter adapter gasket. Kinda a pain but not too bad. And cheap fix.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

I think the 2005-2006 3.5 has the least issues followed by the 3.5 in 07+ cars.
Next would be the 3.6.

I would steer clear of the 2.4 liter or the 3.9 liter.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 AM
G6 GXP

Welcome to the forum dude!

Based on my own reading and browsing, the 3.6L appears the most reliable, followed closely by the 3.5L. The 2.4L I4 and the 3.9L seem to be where the troubles arise. Being a power hog with an efficiency streak, I always steer clear of naturally aspirated (non-turbo) 4 cylinder engines, and have a mistrust for high-displacement V6s like the 3.9L.

Personally, I think the 3.6L engine gives you the most bang for your buck, being a dual-overhead cam design rather than a pushrod design. It's a more modern, energy efficient valvetrain configuration that allows for higher performance and better fuel economy (depending on other factors, of course). I just got myself a 2008 G6 GXP with that particular engine, and I really like it. Lot of power and pickup, great passing power in all speed regimes, and runs very smooth.

Last edited by C0RSA1R; 02-18-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: forgot to welcome the dude
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 01:34 PM

Garage
Welcome!

I agree with Lampoon, havent had any problems with my 06 G6 GT Coupe 3.5L. Very great car! And this is my first car and I love it

2006 G6 GT Coupe | Emerald Green | Blacked-out Emblems and Grilles | Silverstar ZXE's | CRABS Op. 3 + FPU | Eibach Lowering Springs | OBX Exhaust

COMING NEXT: 25mm Wheel Spacers | Racingline Strut Bar & MMI's | and possibly the AIT Front Bumper
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 02:32 PM

05-06 3.5Ls are boss like Lampoon said, best fuel mileage for the G6, plus the 4 speed trans in it are pretty sturdy... the 6 speed trans in the GXP has some quirks

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 PM

Hey Sammy,

Welcome to the forum! If you need any assistance with finding your desired vehicle for your daughter, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us! We will be glad to help!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in