New to me, g6 wont start - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

New to me, g6 wont start

I recently got a g6 i thought the battery was going dead, when i started it the last few times it kinda slow crank and then this morning a few slow cranks and then nothing the lock thing comes on when i turn the key but goes off in a few seconds but she just wont turn over or crank i did buy a new battery and made sure it was fully charged tried resetting the key, read everything i could on the g6 not starting was hoping for any suggestions or am i going to have to take it to a dealer to get vat checked out ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 AM
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtt View Post
I recently got a g6 i thought the battery was going dead, when i started it the last few times it kinda slow crank and then this morning a few slow cranks and then nothing the lock thing comes on when i turn the key but goes off in a few seconds but she just wont turn over or crank i did buy a new battery and made sure it was fully charged tried resetting the key, read everything i could on the g6 not starting was hoping for any suggestions or am i going to have to take it to a dealer to get vat checked out ty
The next place to look is at the cabling between the battery, ground and starter. If there's a corroded connection, that may be causing too much resistance.

Otherwise, if the battery is fully charged and it still won't crank, then I would pull the starter and have it tested (at a parts store, for example).

Doug

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

starter

that was the problem the starter failed without a prior problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtt View Post
that was the problem the starter failed without a prior problem
Thanks for the follow-up. It is appreciated !
Seems like I see this sorta stuff more nowadays than in the past. For example, in the early 80's, I had a battery going bad in my 1977 Monte Carlo...for 2 or 3 years

When I finally replaced it, it only weighed about a pound - seems it was completely used up by then (including the acid). I could usually get one good crank out of it, but if the motor didn't fire, there wasn't enough oomph left for a second crank - I'd have to get it jumped

Nowadays, when I have a battery fail, seems like it just quits without warning. No slow cranking - they go from cranking just fine to no cranking at all without any warning.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in