My first G6 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up My first G6

Recently my wife was purchased a G6 and since then it has became my tinker toy with plenty of little quirks to be fixed, it was originally red but was "murdered out" on a budget..

Things that have been fixed:
1. Turn signal/headlight combination switch.(Was snapped off and a nub was left due to what was likely baby momma drama)
2. EGR Canister Purge Valve. (Biggest eyesore EVER, line was snapped off so they attempted to bridge the connection with a drink straw with a capri sun straw inside it.. SUPPORTED with a twig between that and the electrical pigtail wrapped in duct tape..

To be fixed by order of priority:
1. Front pads and rotors, pads are probably ok however left front rotor is worn BAD and probably warped even worse.. giving the knocking sound as you start to apply brakes sometimes.....
2. Shift Solenoid 1-2, have to let off accelerator at 2.8-3k rpms to allow trans to shift from first to second, all other gears shift smoothly.
3. Rear Speakers, connector ripped on back left and back right goes in and out so possibly going out with it.
4. Correct size battery installed and mounted with retainer purchased as well.
5. Every inch of interior scrubbed vacuumed and protected, minor touch ups, scratch and dent repaired. and decision of covering shifter chrome trim with vinyl wrap or hydro-dip...

Got my weekends set for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 09:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Welcome to the club...it seems like the tinkering never ends.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Nope! no time soon at least, since i didnt mention that the front headlights need to be replaced, housing not only faded and yellow but also cracked, tail lights have that spider cracks on them i guess its called? high mount is intact but need to figure out how to remove all the rust off the terminals..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 10:08 AM

If you would like a couple thoughts advice...

Brakes, don't go with the real cheap aftermarket pads, these cars go through em like candy. Go with the slightly more expensive aftermarket - but not the cheapest "lifetime" rated pads, those are holy noisy. I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I am going to advanced auto and will have them look up my brand / grade so I can report back on that.

oddball shift / bs codes / etc... start by noting the oil change life (just caution cause I can't be sure what happened with mine), and then unhook the battery for 24 hours. This will cause the BCM to drain (idiot computer called Body Control Module) and do a clean no idiot history start. Even clearing the ODB (can be done by removing a fuse) doesn't clear all the idiocy learned mis-configurations out of the computer. I had oddball traction control, wierd shift, and even a "top not allowed" (convertible) that would come and go and be an infrequent but persistent irritation. clearing everything out with the battery disconnect has so far cleaned up all the bad behaviour. (fyi: after resetting mine, it came back with 5% oil life and I would swear I should have had more life than that.)

Do not buy an interstate battery or at least measure the battery repeatedly before buying... I love the warranty costco has on these and praise the battery in all forms except they violated the dimension standard (made the posts 3/8" extra tall) and the battery box cover will not go on. I've been a die hard costco for the warranty and my last one was a kirkland brand (made by interstate) but was just that 3/8" narrower and worked - my new interstate (by costco) caused me to leave the battery box cover in the garage.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:22 PM
2007 gt retractable

i removed my front rotors and had them turned.so far they are still true.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

any suggestions on how to remove rust from a terminal connector? the high mount stop light rusted so although the bulbs and everything is good the terminals are covered in rust and ive been unable to find a place that will sell just the rail only..

also Zenish, i would consider this, however.. my front left rotor is worn BAD i mean you can look at the front and 50% of the rotor is covered in rust because before pads were changed somewhere along the line before it was purchased the rotors were worn unevenly.. i will have to get around to taking pictures of the vehicles current state....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in