Car Illiterate - Need Guidance Please - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Car Illiterate - Need Guidance Please

Hi guys!

I drive a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT. I'm pretty car illiterate, so I'm not looking to do anything fancy with it. Just looking for some guidance on what small things I can replace/fix myself and what should be done by a professional.

The issue that brought me to this forum is my sun visor clips. Both my passenger and driver side sun visor support clips broke. I got the replacement parts online, but can't seem to figure out how to actually replace it.

I'm sure it's a simple trick, I just can't find any videos or instructions online. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:37 AM

I would think that the sun visors would be very similar on all cars, so any guide would likely be helpful to you.. Do you mean the post that goes into the roof or the clip that holds the visor in place (on the drivers side post is on the left and the clip is on the right)?

for the clip:

for the entire visor:
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-cheryl-knight

As far as what you can do, assuming you have a jack and jackstands, nearly anyone can do an oil change...

The transmission fluid isn't hard to top up either, just made difficult by GM, but its just untightening a screw and then topping it off until it starts dripping then you're done..

Tail lights are easy on the G6, the headlights are a lil harder but there are guides online..

Brakes on mostly any car are pretty simple, c clamp and some elbow grease (They also sell a tool that helps depress the caliper pistons, not sure if it works on the G6 or not though)

--------------------------------

I'd say in my not so professional opinion, that anything which shouldn't require a lift or specialized tools like rotor resurfacers or tire mounting machines, you should be fine to give a quick google search or a post on here (Thats what brought me here -- questions!) and you should be fine.. I really like my G6, bought it last month

- Russell
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellReal View Post
Do you mean the post that goes into the roof or the clip that holds the visor in place (on the drivers side post is on the left and the clip is on the right)?
Thanks Russell!

I'll check it out when I get home tonight. It's the clip, not the post. It should be a simple fix.

I've replaced the headlights, taillights, plate light, and a few other things on my own. Even got the boyfriend to help me replace the turn signal switch a few months ago. He was shocked 1) How much work the headlights are and 2) That I've been replacing my own headlights since I 1st got the car several years ago.

He had a degree in motorcycle mechanics, so he's a big help on most things, but this forum should give me the info I need for G6 specific questions.

This is actually my 2nd G6. I bought one new in 2007, but someone rear-ended me and totaled it. A few years later I was looking for replacement for my Saturn that I hated and a friend told me about the G6 he test drove the day before... Same year make & model as my old one, just a different color. I bought my current G6 that same day. Dude thought I was nuts. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 02:55 PM

Dang! Well, keep at it! I haven't done half the work you've done, but I got lots coming up on the car, gotta replace the struts and some other stuff.

Good luck! And welcome to the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in