Hello from Illinois - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Hello from Illinois

I just picked up an 09 (not the 09 and a half, but the old 09) G6. Due to the cash for clunkers program and GM incentives, I got a pretty good deal.

* Base G6 (2.4 L 4 banger) with the 4 gear auto in Quicksilver Metallic
* Sun and Sound package
* The dealer is refitting the seats with heated leather and adding a key fob.

First off, I wanted to thank this forum for existing - I first checked the G6 section on pontiacforums.com and it was practically empty of any useful knowledge. Spending an hour here, I already picked up several great things. Looking forward to leeching off of and hopefully contributing to the community.

My girlfriend has an 08 Malibu LT2 and I have been very happy with the Epsilon platform... however, her car is much nicer equipped than mine (tiptronic 6 speed, steering wheel controls, cruise control, wood grain inlay, suede and leather, and the entertainment controls are nicer). We are very competitive with each other, so please help me 1-up her

I had a few questions regarding the G6. I can read just fine, so if you don't want to type out an answer, I'm fine with linking to a discussion that handles it:

* Important question that determines the results of the rest of the questions: is there any real difference between the 08 and the 09 G6? Most of the parts I find say "05 to 08" and I can't think of why they wouldn't work on an 09 based on what I know about the model differences.
* I am not uber-technical when it comes to cars (most complicated thing I have done was replace the stock stereo which was pretty much plug and play other than rewiring the harness) but I saw colinpeddle's steering wheel replacement guide and think I could follow it... but I can't find any steering wheels. I checked ebay as colinpeddle's post suggested but could not find any. If you could find me a steering wheel with the cruise and radio controls, I would be grateful (even if it's more than the $80 colin's post claims).
* Fog lights seem like a relatively easy install (cut out a template in the bumper, shove 'em in, wire 'em up, then somehow get the controls to the driver). I couldn't find any guides or recommendations on fog lights, so I would love some help there.
* The car looks decent overall (mind you it's the base, so it doesn't have the cooler looks of the GT or GXP) but I would like to throw in some HIDs or something to increase headlight performance. I saw a few threads on projectors, but most of the posts claimed they sucked worse than the stock headlights - has anyone found some good alternative headlights?
* The back of the sedan is also kind of boring, so I was looking at adding a tasteful spoiler (not a big wing, just something to make the back look better). Any suggestions? Some people mentioned they got the work done for free by the dealer - how close do you have to be with the dealer for that to happen (I can screw it on, I just get nervous about cutting sheet metal and I lack the tools to do so)?
* Mudguards - I need to take a short gravel road to get to my driveway and I plan on heavily using the car in the winter (snow and ice means I can't take my motorcycle to work). I want mudguards, the ones from pontiacpartspeople seem to be recommended - do these scratch the pain at all? Do you recommend the molded or the flat?

Nice to meet you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Varsity Squad

Garage
Congrats on your new ride, and good luck with your mods! The only one of your questions that I have done to my 06 G6 GTP was I replaced the headlight and foglight bulbs with some Luminics Ultra White lights with a temp of 5150K, very big improvement over the stock lights and a lot cheaper then HID Kits. I have pics in the Photo Gallery of them on.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 PM

Where at in northern IL? I'm near Rockford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

I'm in Antioch, near Gurnee (Six Flags: Great America).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:29 PM

i've only been in that area once or twice, but it's cool to see someone on here that's somewhat close to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in