New member. Advice on cheap upgrades? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

New member. Advice on cheap upgrades?

First of all if this is the wrong section please let me know. I bought a g6 from my grandma this past January and it is just about to hit 89k. I know the car was well maintained over the years and it was used as my grandpas way of getting to and from work. They had very little issues as far as I know and any necessary repairs were probably made immediately. I also know they probably never went a mile past when they were to do maintenance like oil changes. It has been running very nicely and I am getting to the point where I would like to maybe work on it a little. In my title I used the word cheap but that is for lack of a better term. What I really want to know is if there is anything I can do now that will help the car perform better and possibly last longer overall (besides basic maintenance) I really don’t have a huge budget to work with and I’d like to do the upgrades myself. I’ve never really worked on cars (or anything mechanical for that matter) but I really want to get into it as a hobby. I’m about to do a whole new sound system and as soon as I have a few other things in order I’d like to try and get started but I know for a fact that I won’t be able to spend anymore than $1,000 or so on any given part/upgrade. Like I said I would really like to try and do everything myself cuz I think it will teach me to navigate an automobile when I NEED to do the repair myself. Also my grandpa was way into cars in his early years and he passed away last year so I pretty much plan on keeping this car forever. I may get a new vehicle for transportation to and from wherever later on but I will still keep this one to work on and to serve as a bit of a memorial for my grandpa. This is actually something that’s really important to me. To summarize what I want, how can I start small and work my way up when it comes to performing upgrades on a 2009 Pontiac g6. I’m not sure of the engine size but I will come back in a bit to edit the post since I’m sure that is relevant. Thanks in advance
~zac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:06 PM

For performance you can get a WAMS or VECTOR tune. They make it for the 2.4 engine, not sure about the bigger engines. I know the WAMS tune has lots of positive reviews on here.

If you get a tune you can put on a cold air/short ram intake that opens up a bit more power too. I put a cheap Ebay cold air on my 2.4 and even without a tune it helped open up the top end power a little bit.

For longevity, the only mod that I can think of would be to add a big cooler to the transmission to keep the temps down. That'll go a long way to keeping your transmission in good shape, especially if you get a tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in