Hello from Ohio - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Hello from Ohio

Hey everyone.

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. Just actually found this forum a couple days ago and have found a lot of good information.

Haven't done any mods to my car but looking into an intake upgrade to start.

Anyone know of other cab designs? Ive read all about crab intakes and the cool air box on here, but dont believe those are available anymore. Ive watched a bunch of videos of people making their own also.
Just looking to keep the intake in the engine bay, remove resonator, and box in like what ive seen on here.

Any info would be appreciated on a cab or something diy i suppose if it comes to it. All new stuff to me but looking to keep my self busy with something to do.

Thanks,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:44 AM
2007 gt retractable

it would help if you say what engine you have but i don't believe theres any worthwhile mods for the g6 engines.there are great brake mods.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

My bad. Its 3.5l v6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Have you tried getting ahold of lampoon. Go to crabs website and message him. There’s a chance he may have some left. The only other option is K&N. But the difference is night and day. The crabs is 100% better. I have pics comparing the two in my progression thread.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

I had tried contacting him but never recieved a reply. I installed a chrome intakes from ebay which turned out pretty good. Removed the resonator and made my own airbox using aluminum. When im driving highway my intake temps match the outside air. So I guess it works.

My mpg dropped quite a bit after this. Been holding steady at 20.5 mpg.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

I havent taken a picture of the air box yet. Not the prettiest but it works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190502_195509_1557569769241.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	13849  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:44 AM
08 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsley419 View Post
... When im driving highway my intake temps match the outside air. So I guess it works.
I'm confused. You guess it works? But you say your mileage dropped quite a bit? So what does it do better than the stock setup?

By the way, did you check your intake air temp before, with the stock setup? I think you'll find that at highway speed it's same as ambient.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:35 PM
2007 gt retractable

Quote:
I havent taken a picture of the air box yet. Not the prettiest but it works
that looks good to me but i already hate the mph my car gets.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxG6 View Post
I'm confused. You guess it works? But you say your mileage dropped quite a bit? So what does it do better than the stock setup?

By the way, did you check your intake air temp before, with the stock setup? I think you'll find that at highway speed it's same as ambient.

From the looks of things, intake temp in stop and go is likely much higher than ambient versus the factory setup which brings air from the outside of the underhood environment. I don't see how this is an improvement.
But, if you like it, go with it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:55 PM

Garage
Zenish,
Do you hate the mph or mpg?????

Just wondering.... More fuel, more HP,, more speed... In very simple terms???

No???
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:51 AM
08 convertible

Let's make sure we all understand the basics. Cold air is only useful for extracting max power at WOT. Yes, colder air = more air = more power. But at any part throttle condition it doesn't matter. You want more power, you push harder on the pedal. So making the intake tract less restrictive is good for engine efficiency all around, making the air cold only helps max power.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxG6 View Post
Quote:
... When im driving highway my intake temps match the outside air. So I guess it works.

Well definitely monitoring much more airflow. I dont recall the air temp with stock on. Water coolant temps stays much cooler while driving. Intake temp quickly drops to or near ambient after im idling for awhile at a light or drive thru.

What it does better than stock is it gets up and goes so much better when i get on the gas.

I dont think the intake temp ran as cool with stock, and defintly not as much airflow through the maf. As for mpg. I make a 15 minute trip every moring to work then home on highway. 70mph.

I think a longer highway trip would increase mpg data but havent gone anywhere to try. I do get on the gas quite a bit when i get onto the highway. I just think the air box i made is allowing it to have much cooler air which would make it burn more fuel. Before i removed the stock stuff my economy was reading 29.9 Mpg.

So was it worth it i dunno? Definite increase of horsepower. Sounds good hearing the air flow through the k&n filter, engine temps runs cooler.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:08 PM

Does anyone know if there is a turbo set up for super charger set up for the 08 3.5 coupe bc i want to do a sleeper build but i really dont feel like swapping the engine and trans.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:43 PM
08 convertible

Quote:
Well definitely monitoring much more airflow.
Not likely. Going steady 70mph on a level road takes the same hp no matter what you do to your intake. Same hp requires same mass airflow unless the change ruined the engine efficiency. So if you're seeing "much more" airflow for the same exact conditions, chances are something went wrong big time.

Quote:
I just think the air box i made is allowing it to have much cooler air which would make it burn more fuel.
Let's assume the air IS in fact much cooler. No, that WON'T "make it burn more fuel" for the same conditions. Only YOU can make it burn more fuel by requesting more hp, like accelerating harder or driving at higher speeds. What you may be seeing/feeling is more hp at the same throttle opening. That's not an improvement. You can accomplish that easily by making the throttle curve steeper. In fact some manufacturers do that on purpose to give you a "peppier" feel when the car is underpowered.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Today i unplugged my battery and reset the computer. Took a decent drive didnt get on the throttle to much and mpg ended up alot higher. It was stuck at 20.5 that the reset helped or i just drove it harder after the intake install. So all in all i did gain a few mpg over stock if i drive it easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_184633_1557876675337.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	13867  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in