New Member with GXP/GTP ? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Cool & Cooler

New Member with GXP/GTP ?

Hi, I'm in Indianapolis.
I have owned an Orange 2005 G6 GT for 1.5 years.
It's loaded and I like it.
It is a sedan. I no longer need a sedan though.

I plan to trade it in for a black convertible G6.
I discovered this forum as I was searching to figure out
what the difference between a GTP and GXP is, as I
noticed that the convertible is available in versions better
than the GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Lifetime Member

Hi!

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 09:39 PM

Hi and welcome!

Theres something like 5 engines that were offered in all the different levels of the G6...As Follows:
2.4L V-4
3.5L V-6
3.6L V-6 (240ish hp for the GTP models)
3.6L V-6 (252 hp for the GXP models)
and a 3.9L V-6 (A seemingly Canadian Special haha)
The GTP has 18inch rims 6 speed auto dual exhaust auto climate control etc
The GXP has styled 18 inch rims and all the features of the GTP features except with a GXP only special body kit etc

2007 G6 GT

Debadged, K&N Drop In Air Filter, Pioneer DEH-6200bt w/ Metra Kit, L.E.D. Tailights, L.E.D. 3rd Brake Light, 7500k High beam, Low Beam, and Fog Lights, L.E.D Lights Behind the Grille, L.E.D. Reverse Lamps, Ya, Basically L.E.D.s all over, And more to come....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:17 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Depends on what year. The GT on the vert was the GTP. It had the 3.9.
Nice to see someone doing their homework before purchase.

That vert is heavy so get the more powerful engine.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:28 AM

I like how he is trading his G6 for another G6! Thats awesome.

Current Mods:
07 G6 GT White, 84K, 35% Tint, 8k HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Tails, DRL Delete, DexCool Delete (is that a mod?) Eibach Springs, EBC Brakes, Orange Calipers, De-Badged, Front Tower Strut Bar, Painted Engine/Battery Covers, CRABS Opt# 3, "Tiger CRAB Ram Air", Custom Catback stepped up to 2.5" from 2.25" tubing with purforated rez and free flow muffler.

Coming Soon:
18" rollers, LED red interior lighting, LED tails, Complete Audio System Renovation as I have blown it up, Sedan HH spoiler, Custom Seatcovers, dash cover and floor mats with the G6 Embroidery, Painted body color mirrors, wiper arms, both front grills, side skirts and rear facia all body color painted.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:08 PM

In the convertible there is a 3.5 in the gt and a 3.9 in the gtp. The 3.5 is rated somewhere around 200-215 and the 3.9 is rated 220-230. But he 3.9 has quite a bit more torque. The 3.6 is rated at 252 in the gtp and the gxp for the coupe and sedan.

07 Black/Black Coupe GTP

Mods: CRAB Intake 3+4, GM STB, 35% Tint all the way around, Tinted Tails, Black Badge Overlays

Last edited by amastadon; 09-30-2009 at 09:36 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Cool & Cooler

I test drove two new 2009 convertible GTs at a dealership today. Cirumstances were not great as it was rainy and traffic was bad. I drove with the tops up.

I test drove one with a 3.9 and one with a 3.5 liter motor. Both cars were marked as GT.

I was surprised that neither car seemed to accelerate as fast as my 2005 3.5 liter G6 GT sedan. They felt heavier and the power did not come on quick or smooth like my current car. I preferred the feel of the new 3.5 engine over the 3.9, even though it had less torque. The 3.5 was around $1200 cheaper, but did not have dual exhaust.

I also noticed that my steering wheel is thicker with a better quality leather than the new cars. The interior plastic trim for the A-pillar on the new verts were very cheap. The nice illuminated visor mirrors in my car have been replaced with smaller cheaper non-illuminated mirrors. My car has power pedals that can be moved in and out and the new cars lacked this.

On the other hand, the new cars had 18" wheels vs. my 17". They also had an interior thermometer on the redesigned temperature contorls and a tire-pressure sensor system built into the radio, which my car lacks. The shift knob had chrome on it while my '05 shifter is all leather.

The convertibles have a higher door sill than my sedan and they have better looking taillights.

Bottom line, I like my old sedan better as the engine seems to perform better and the car feels lighter on its feet. I now plan to go test drive some 2006 convertibles and see if they are more like my car.

I also noticed three types of rear spoilers on the non-verts, there is a big funky one, the little one like my car has, and then one I liked best which was inbetween size.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Cool & Cooler

I just test drove a 2006 GTP vert w/21000 miles. All the things I noticed about the 2009 applies to the 2006 as well (visors, temp controls, A pillars, power pedals, heaviness) so apparently it had nothing to do with the year, but with the model. It had the 3.9. I drove it with the top down and it was good and the power seemed smoother and greater than the new ones I drove yesterday, although I did have dry conditions today. If I can work out a price with them, I'll get it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 01:09 AM

the lack of power u feel is all because the vert is a lil heavier, but it makes up for it by turning heads.

i know because i have an '06 gtp vert. and it's black as well.

2006 pontiac g6 gtp convertible - black
reflective purple overlays, airbrushed engine/fuse covers
soon to have tint, rims, dash trim airbrushed, and cai.

2008 pontiac g8 gt - liquid red
20' zinik wheels /toyo proxy 4'', airbrushed engine/fuse covers, hood vent mod, lower panel mod
20% window tint all around except windshield ,sidemarker tint mod, V8 6.0 side badges, holden rear deck badge, SS badges ,VE badge, chrome pillar side posts, custom axleback system(soon to come kooks LT headers and corsa cat-back), OBX throttlebody spacer, volant CAI, Superchips tune
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Cool & Cooler

I just checked the reported weights on Pontiac's website:

........ G6.....GT....GXP
Coupe 3415 3487 lbs
Sedan 3305 3457 3545
Vert .. 3855

Last edited by IndyF1; 09-05-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: alignment of table
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Cool & Cooler

I ended up buying the 06 with the retractable hardtop. Thought I'd mention a couple of other differences I've noticed.

Difference between this vert and my sedan:
1) The button on the door to release the trunk is in a slightly different location.
2) There are no hooks in back to hang your dry cleaning from on the vert.
3) When the window is open a little in the rain, the water gushes in - apparently the vert doesn't have a little gutter/trench to redirect rain. I smoke and since I don't have a sunroof on this retractable hardtop, I need to crack the window. I now lower the back window and use that as a vent. (note: The gap is vertical space between the front and rear window and not at the top)
4) The 06 vert doesn't have the button to move my pedals in and out like the 06 sedan had.
5) The sedan had larger rear speakers with more bass. My vert has XM radio and my sedan didn't, but I'm sure that was an option.

Differences between this 06 vert and the 09s:
1) The 06 doesn't have the tire pressure guage.

As a side note, the G6 had a solid vault-like Mercedes feel to it this week after having to drive a rental Chevy Aveo for a couple days.

Last edited by IndyF1; 09-05-2010 at 12:14 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

Interesting analysis of the engines and sorry I missed this the first time around. I only test drove the car I ended up getting (had only 54 miles on it so I figured it hadn't been ragged on tooooo much...maybe ), so I can't compare the 3.9 to the 3.5 but I was extremely impressed (and still am ) with the power and response in the 3.9, so if your 3.5 sedan was better it must have been a major BEAST.

And just in case you think I came from a 78 Chevette or something, my previous car was a moderately modded 2005 Grand Prix that dyno'ed at 291 whp/298 wtq

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 AM

thanks for the info here I'm looking at the 07's black convertible, one GTP and one GT mileage is about the same 28k to 30k. $1700 difference in price. not sure if the GTP is worth the extra (both seem to have the exact same options, leather engine ect)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in