Hi! First time car owner! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Hi! First time car owner!

Greetings from Florida!

I bought my very first car today - a used 2007 white Pontiac G6 GT with ~34k miles on it (clean title).

I wanted to ask few questions as a first time car owner:

1) Assuming it was purchased within 3 years (I'll call the bank about the original title date), would it still be covered by manufacturer warranty (3 year/36000 miles)?

2) I only got a key and no remote and am looking to purchase a remote off of ebay. If I'm not mistaken, I've read that some of the G6s' include remote engine start. Is there a way I can figure out if this has the remote engine start or not by popping the hood or something else? I have the (+) sign on my key so I know at least that thing has a transponder.

3) When I got home, I realized that the hazard lights aren't working. Left/Right blinker work, but the switch does nothing. Can that be fixed as simply as replacing a fuse or is it something more?

There's a couple of small "glitches" here and there that need to be fixed but overall a very nice car at a very good price. I hope to enjoy this ride for many years!

Thanks for looking at my questions guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
welcome...

1) correct the warranty is transferable.
2)I dont know how to see if you have remote start but the plus on the back of your remote means your car is compatible and if you dont have it you can purchase the remote start and "add it on"
3)A possibility might be that someone had that whole "panel" off and forgot to plug the hazzards back in (Ive done it before)

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 AM

Welcome

I know my G6 comes with remote start...now when I say it comes with it I mean the capability is there but you have to go to a dealer and get it programmed and get remote runs about 200 bucks here.

2008 Pontiac Sedan - 3.5 V6

Mods so far:
Sylvania Silverstars, Custom Air Intake with Heat shield , 17' Salsa Rims from FastWheels.ca, Lower Grille Chrome Accents, Windows Visors, Hood Deflector, Debadged, Silver Overlays, Eyelids, Recessed Upper Grille, Tinted Tails, GM Strut Bar

Coming Soon - In Order:
Racingline MMI
Racingline Grounding Kit

Updated: 02/22/2011

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Member

Welcome!

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to markpetersonii Send a message via MSN to markpetersonii
Welcome!

2003 Mercedes Benz E500 Sport - 2001 Ford Ranger XLT
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Look for RPO code AP8 on your glovebox decal.

Is it there? Odds are you have it on a GT.
If so then purchase a couple remotes off Ebay and take them
to the dealership to be programmed.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

yea, i called a local dealership and they asked for the last 8 digits of my VIN, from there they got that mine had the remote-start and said that it would cost $159.99 a remote (part #22733524) . i told them i would purchase one online and bring it in to program. he gave me the run around about how used/3rd party remotes sucked which is standard i guess. Then he said it would cost $35.99 per remote to be programmed. Looking on eBay it seems I can buy an OEM remote for ~$25 or less. I see almost no off brand remotes so i take it that the 07+ g6's all require official pontiac remotes as well? blah, what a ripoff
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Dealership is needed to program the remote. Did u look on your RPO sheet in ur glovebox?

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Michigan G6er

Welcome

Pontac G6 Sedan 3.5L
Exterior- 8000k HIDS lows, 8000k HIDs fog lights, 20% window tint, Tinted taillights, painted grilles (top and bottom) to match, Custom painted engine cover and battery box, Red painted calipers.
Performance- Crab Intake, Racing Line Performance strut tower brace, GT-R Custom Magnaflow exhaust.
Interior- red LED's on inside, custom painted interior trim to match outside, Memphis sub and Amp, Custom fiberglass sub enclosure.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
Dealership is needed to program the remote. Did u look on your RPO sheet in ur glovebox?
I looked at that sticker in the glovebox but it didn't have that AP8 number in there... so does that mean i don't have it? but the dealership said I did based on my remote....
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 07:24 PM

sounds like a better deal to buy online & just have the dealership program it for you.now that you mention remote start, i want one too! it would definitely come in handy in the chilly wisconsin winters.i just might have to check into that myself.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Heh, while I don't mind the option being there when buying used, i don't think i would cough up extra $$ to have a option to wirelessly start my car if I bought new. something about those "1-button starts", remote starts, and wireless accelerators bug me. Perhaps its that thing from Toyota about their new camrys where if the car unexpectantly starts to accel, press and hold the engine start button for 3 seconds >_<...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 01:48 PM

I never thought I would consider an automatic start, but when it gets cold out it would certainly become a nice feature to have. I know a few people who have the feature, and its nice to be able to get into a warm car that has already been running in the middle of winter. I havent looked into it, but if the remotes online are only $20-$30, and the programming at the dealership is a reasonable price...Im all for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in