New owner - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

New owner

Hey everyone. I just got a black 2006 g6 gtp and was thinking about doing a little cosmetic work to it. I have a couple of questions, hopefully someone can answer these. Probably not going to do anything in terms of the engine since it only has 9,000 miles. But if anybody had a nice muffler or intake suggestion I would be open to that. Here is what i was thinking anyway...

1) If I wanted to get new lights, how much of a pain is it to get into the headlamp assembly and replace those?
2) I have a monsoon system - all stock - howannoying is it to put an ipod hook up in this thing.
3) Thinking about tinting the windows, can anyone suggest a good amount, I feel like a little tint will go a long way especially with the tiny windows in the back.
4) Wondering about removing the badges on the back, but don't want to jack my paint or anything, would like to hear from someone who has done this successfully.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Welcome!

1. for the headlight assembly I've heard that the earlier model G6s were easier to get into to. Just need some heat to brake the seal and you should be good.
2. I'm pretty sure that they 08 deck has the ipod aux jack in it so you could get one of those and swap it out. Unless someone on here has put one in with an after market deck
3.Now when you say amount, do you mean how dark? or how much of the car you want tinted? ive seen people do all the windows expcept driver, comes down to personal preference if you ask me.
4. I haven't debadged mine but most people just use heat on it CAREFULLY and then use like fishing line or something to cut through the glue on the back of them. Then use goo gone to get rid of the residue.

Hope this helps. Anyone feel free to correct me!

2008 Pontiac Sedan - 3.5 V6

Mods so far:
Sylvania Silverstars, Custom Air Intake with Heat shield , 17' Salsa Rims from FastWheels.ca, Lower Grille Chrome Accents, Windows Visors, Hood Deflector, Debadged, Silver Overlays, Eyelids, Recessed Upper Grille, Tinted Tails, GM Strut Bar

Coming Soon - In Order:
Racingline MMI
Racingline Grounding Kit

Updated: 02/22/2011

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Welcome!! On the headlights you only need to take them apart if you are painting the inside or something like that.. but to change out the bulbs its easy.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 PM

sorry totally mis-read question number one waterfowler is right haha

2008 Pontiac Sedan - 3.5 V6

Mods so far:
Sylvania Silverstars, Custom Air Intake with Heat shield , 17' Salsa Rims from FastWheels.ca, Lower Grille Chrome Accents, Windows Visors, Hood Deflector, Debadged, Silver Overlays, Eyelids, Recessed Upper Grille, Tinted Tails, GM Strut Bar

Coming Soon - In Order:
Racingline MMI
Racingline Grounding Kit

Updated: 02/22/2011

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Professional geek

You got #1 answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamomac View Post
2) I have a monsoon system - all stock - howannoying is it to put an ipod hook up in this thing.
3) Thinking about tinting the windows, can anyone suggest a good amount, I feel like a little tint will go a long way especially with the tiny windows in the back.
4) Wondering about removing the badges on the back, but don't want to jack my paint or anything, would like to hear from someone who has done this successfully.
2) Essentially there are three options.
A) If you want to use an AUX input to the stereo, you could get a newer model stereo and swap it for the one in your vehicle. You will then have to go to the stealership to have it unlocked to work with your vehicle. All in cost will probably be around $150 if you swap it yourself.
B) There was someone on this or one of the other boards that was doing mods to your stereo to add a front panel AUX IN jack. I think it would be about $75 all in. The disadvantage is having a hole in your dash for several days because you have to ship your stereo off to this guy and wait for him to get it back to you.
C) For about $150 all in (if you do the installation work yourself) there are several different outfits that will sell you a plug-in interface that connects to the bottom of your iPod/Phone and allows you to control it through the deck.

Options B and C require that your head unit be Satellite Radio ready (even if you don't have XM).

3) I went 50% front and 35% rear on mine, but I already had 70% windows from the factory. I probably could have gone darker, but I didn't want to go for the limo look and overall I am pleased.

4) I used a hair dryer and debadged mine when it was about 62 and raining (I was under the garage door out of the direct rain). I used dental floss because I don't have any lighter weight monofilament. Heat the badges up for 3 - 5 minutes (bigger ones need more time of course) and slide the line/floss behind the badge. I found it fastest to wrap the floss completely around the badge (making a lasso/garrote) and puled on the end until the badge came off. For some of them you will have to keep applying heat. It would go a lot faster with two people doing it, one keeping the heat on.

DON'T use a heat gun as it is really easy to go from hot paint to bubbled paint. A hair dryer won't get your paint hot enough to bubble, but it may soften it temporarily so be careful with anything that may scratch or gouge the finish.

When the badges pop off, there will be adhesive remaining on the car. Keep warming this up, and remove the thicker portions of it by rolling it with your fingers (wear heavy gloves to avoid heat blisters). When there's just thin patches of adhesive left, you can remove it using Goo Gone or similar.

Oh, and the last word of advice/warning on this, if you plan to remove the dart (Pontiac logo), it is a real mother****er as it soaks up and dissipates a lot of the heat. You are going to want to pry it off as soon as one end starts to come loose, probably the bottom point. Be careful with this. Remember the warning above about softened paint? If you pry too much, the upper points in the dart will sink into your paint (unfortunately I know this). You can slide a piece of thin cardboard (cut up a cereal box and use two layers) behind the upper points of the dart to help protect your paint if you pry.

I thought about writing a how-to just about when the last badge was coming off, too late to get any decent pictures.

Oh, and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

~ MattInSoCal
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

Thanks for all the solid advice so far. As far as the iPod hookup goes, I figured i'd probably just get an aftermarket stereo put in there (plus i'm not very fond of the way the stock one looks) - which seems to be a pain as well.
I've gotten estimates from like 140-220 regarding installation which makes me want to do it myself sort of. Just need all the right parts and make sure I don't ruin stuff since it's a rather complicated system with tweeters and dash controls and all that fun stuff.
Anyone else installed a stereo in their G6 or had someone else do it? Pictures, cost, suggestions. Bring it on
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

You will lose your DIC display if you do that.

I recommend finding an 08 or 09 radio that has the AUX in.
You can swap them (plug & play) yourself but it will need to be
married to your car via a dealership's tech2 (costs for that can range from $0-80).

ALL that you are asking is on the site. Look around or try the search button for more.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 AM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
For #2 This is what I'm doing. Check it out http://www.electotronics.com/pacupac...tvehicles.aspx
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInSoCal View Post

4) I used a hair dryer and debadged mine when it was about 62 and raining (I was under the garage door out of the direct rain). I used dental floss because I don't have any lighter weight monofilament. Heat the badges up for 3 - 5 minutes (bigger ones need more time of course) and slide the line/floss behind the badge. I found it fastest to wrap the floss completely around the badge (making a lasso/garrote) and puled on the end until the badge came off. For some of them you will have to keep applying heat. It would go a lot faster with two people doing it, one keeping the heat on.

DON'T use a heat gun as it is really easy to go from hot paint to bubbled paint. A hair dryer won't get your paint hot enough to bubble, but it may soften it temporarily so be careful with anything that may scratch or gouge the finish.

When the badges pop off, there will be adhesive remaining on the car. Keep warming this up, and remove the thicker portions of it by rolling it with your fingers (wear heavy gloves to avoid heat blisters). When there's just thin patches of adhesive left, you can remove it using Goo Gone or similar.

Oh, and the last word of advice/warning on this, if you plan to remove the dart (Pontiac logo), it is a real mother****er as it soaks up and dissipates a lot of the heat. You are going to want to pry it off as soon as one end starts to come loose, probably the bottom point. Be careful with this. Remember the warning above about softened paint? If you pry too much, the upper points in the dart will sink into your paint (unfortunately I know this). You can slide a piece of thin cardboard (cut up a cereal box and use two layers) behind the upper points of the dart to help protect your paint if you pry.

I thought about writing a how-to just about when the last badge was coming off, too late to get any decent pictures.

Oh, and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

~ MattInSoCal
Best... description... EVER!

That's my first order of business. Thanks for the perfect walkthrough! I debadged my Cobalt SS with a friend of mine who convinced me he knew how to do it. It ended up pretty scuffed. Brutal.

The biggest thing is to TAKE YOUR TIME! A little heat at a time, a little tug, more heat, another tug, and so on. Don't rush it, and don't use a credit card or anything like that. It's a tedious job (especially the adhesive), but patience will pay off.

I can't wait to do mine!

And as for the stereo, I just realized from this thread how big a pain in the ass this will be. I thought I'd just swap in a deck like I always have, but having all those info displays/locking options/Oil change reset/etc. tied into the stereo is gonna be a problem...

As for tint, I'm probably gonna go 5-10%, as dark as the law allows (Not exactly sure). It's a personal preference of course. If you're planning to have some chrome accents, you might consider mirror tint. Browse some pics, and factor in your car's colour too.

Great post MattInSoCal!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Mine just peeled off with my fingernail and pulling. Goo Gone took care of the rest.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in