New Houston Memb. Have ? on exhaust Res - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

New Houston Memb. Have ? on exhaust Res

Hi I am new to the site. I have owned my G6 for about 7 months now and the car is great. I purchased it used for 10k with 63k miles on it. I now have almost 84k. My girlfriend currently took over the car, as I drive another Pontiac currently Trans-Am. I have been reading post on here and doing a few things to my G6. Current mods include. Cold air intake pipeing, modified stock airbox with extra hole cut in bottom, air silencer removed and K&N, completly flushed all Dexcool out and run 50/50 green coolant with a new 180deg thermostat- tep guage runs a tick below 200 mark now, new stock iridium plugs. I do the work myself on the car. The car runs strong and pulls hard and has a good throaty intake sound. The great thing about the 2005 GT's is the speed limiter is set at 137mph, I have had the car to 120mph and she still wants to pull faster. Love the Panoramic Roof also.

Anyway, I did have a question that I was trying to find an answer on. I have searched, but wanted to know if removing the exhaust resonator and putting regular pipe in place was a good idea aslong as I keept the stock rear muffler? Also heard of guys putting a straight through Magnaflow inplace of Resonator. Just want a slight more exhaust flow, but not much exhaust sound. Any help would be great. Again, glad to be a new member.

Thanks, Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

I did come across a thread about it being raspy with Resonator removed and keeping stock muffler. How much louder is using a straight through magnaflow inplace of resonator and keeping stock muffler, is it worth the hassle?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Varsity Squad

Garage
Welcome to the site, sounds like you have a garage of some nice pontiacs! First off I want to reccomend removing your Green Antifreeze as that stuff does not react well with aluminum engine componets and becomes extremely corosive over time. Second, I would not remove the resonator and leave the stock muffler, several people have complained of the resulting sound. I have a custom dual system on my car with no resonator and twin magnaflow mufflers and a guy by the name of JetMech has an awesome sounding dual system with no resonator but has only one muffler that works like an x-pipe. Check out the Exhaust thread on here and I am sure you will find the answer you are looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Actually I was wrong on the coolant. I went with the Prestone mix with any make and model coolant in the G6. I did a full system flush and ran distilled water with Prestone mix with any make and model yellowish coolant. Its good for aluminum components, same as ford uses. Thanks for the info on the exhaust, I have seen the Magnaflow muffler with internal x pipe.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Hey welcome to the site!
I went with a magnaflow muffler and resonator and im happy with it.
No drone while putting around but makes nice deep tone at idle and sounds like a different exhaust at open throttle. If you want to get dual exhaust i would deffinitley do what
CalsGTP said. Im cheap LOL so i stuck with the single exit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in