Hey! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

Thumbs up Jimmy's 2006 G6 GT

Hey,
I'm Jimmy and I'm new here. My fiancee and I just got a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT coupe and we're very happy with our purchase! She was skeptical at first because she wanted something maybe a little more practical and she wasn't so sure about the Pontiac brand, but after the first day of driving she fell in love too! I've heard nothing but good things about this car and I hope to add some mods to improve the performance also. I'm not very knowledgeable about cars, I just wasn't raised that way unfortunately (been driving a 1995 Volvo 850 up to this point), but I would say that I'm "mechanically minded" and I'm also very open minded and I'm trying to learn the most I can.
Anyway, I've been browsing the site for a few days and I thought I would join in and say hey!
Jimmy

Last edited by jpbales; 07-22-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
welcome!! what color did you get?

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Varsity Squad

Garage
Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the site. You should post up some pics in the gallery so we can check out the coupe. I have a granite metalic 06 gtp coupe six speed and love it. I have almost 90K on it and have had to replace an oxygen sensor and an upper strut mount, along with the normal wear and tear of tires, brakes (rotors warp very easy on these cars), and the maintenance of oil changes (Mobil 1 Full Synthetic) and coolant flush (I hate dexcool and had it flushed at 60K). There are some easy mods of an intake and bolt on exhaust system from magnaflow or the GT-R system, i went with a custom system that I had a shop do for less and its a dual exhaust with twin magnaflow mufflers, not just a dual outlet muffler that was cheaper than buying a bolt on. You can also send away for a tune or buy a tuned ecu out right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

Talking

I'll work on posting pictures soon, and the color is "electric blue metallic." At first we were a little iffy on this car because of the color, but we've both have grown to love it : ) . Besides, I couldn't turn this car down. It was a good, sporty, V6 with all of the trimmings of the GT (upgraded monsoon sound system, remote start, pretty cool wheels, and all of those other things that spoil us : ) ) and it came at a good price with a 1 year bumper-bumper warranty and 3 years left on the power train warranty. All for just of 11,000 after taxes and fees. It's hard to find any cars that cheap at Carmax, which only has a 3 month warranty too. I've already taken advantage of that warranty a few times to get a few little things fixed. Plus, the car looks almost like it's brand new. It's a 2006 model but it wasn't bought until December 2007, so it's really not even 3 years old.
Anyway, it's easy for me to ramble on about this wonderful car : ) I like it when people turn to look at it driving by!
It's funny how at first my fiancee was opposed to the coupe, due to it being less practical than a sedan, but when she saw a G6 sedan she said that she didn't like it as much and that "it just looks like a regular old car" and that it just isn't sporty enough : ) I like it when things like this work out!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

Here ya go

I only have a few pics so far and most of them aren't on this computer (I'm on my laptop sitting in class... boring...). Anyway, here's one my mom took of me and Courtney (my fiancee) the day we got the car:

Last edited by jpbales; 07-20-2010 at 07:34 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
looks good!....I always liked that blue. any plans for mods yet?

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

The Value

I'm still amazed by the value of this car and all that I got at such a good price! It has only 43,000 miles, a nice engine (not some little 2.0L or anything), remote start, upgraded sound system, power seats, mirrors, and windows, an awesome, sporty interior, it drives very well, has a great warranty, it is upgradeable, has a manual shift option, and of course bragging rights- and all for under 12,000! So many fancy features at a reasonable price. Plus, it's an American made car that I can be proud of and a new (for me) car that I can depend on.
When I was shopping for cars, I was surprised at how so many features that I figured in this day and age would be pretty much standard in all cars, like power windows, power locks, abs breaks, air bags, etc., weren't! I drove a 1995 Volvo 850 and it had all of those features and it seemed like a low-end car to me. I figured that 15 years later those features would be almost completely standard in newer cars- but nope. I looked at Focuses and Cobalts, 2008 and 2009 models, and they were sometimes around 10,000$ but had puny engines, tons of miles, and often were missing those "standard to me" features. Boy I love the G6 lol.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Looks awesome!!!

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM
his 07 vert/her 07 coupe

Nice car my wife had a 4dr grand prix when we sold it she wanted a nother one so we looked at some i gave an offer on a grand prix the dealer said they wanted $200.00 more so i refused and walked out we went to a nother dealer i was driving through the lot and there it was an 07 GT COUPE i liked it my wife was skeptical but she said it was my choice since I do that maintence and she does not want to hearing any complaining when it needs fixed lol, so we bought the coupe , they only they we felt it needed was the hammerhead wing so I installed it and it looks great. When I was looking for her car I totaled my bike , so 3 weeks after buying the coupe I bought myself an 07 G6 GT Convertible so we now we have two !!! lol good luck with yours here , how do you apply pictures to the post , I can't figure it out ?

Last edited by milk man; 07-21-2010 at 04:09 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

Mods

I'm pretty tight on money right now, but one of the first mods I plan on is improving the intake so I can get a mile per gallon or so more out of the car. I posted my ideas in another thread:
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7259

To post the picture, I first uploaded it to the gallery here on the website. Trying to use the IMG code on the picture didn't work, so I clicked the picture (which made it so the picture was full size and took up the browser window by itself) and then I copied the URL address from my browser. Then, when you go to make a post you click the little icon at the top (right above where you type) for "Insert Image" (it looks like a mountain with a sun over it) and paste the URL which you copied into the box and it generates the correct IMG code and inserts it into your post. You can test it out by clicking "Preview Post." You can surely do the same thing with facebook pics by right clicking them (from FaceBook) and selecting "Copy Image URL" and pasting it into the "Insert Image" menu. I hope that was a thorough enough explaination lol I get type happy sometimes...
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:08 PM
his 07 vert/her 07 coupe

Thanks For The Info
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

"Custom" Air Intake

Today I made a "custom" (I.E. home made : ) ) air intake for my G6. I did like others had done before and I took out the air resonator and I used flexible aluminum air duct to make a ram air intake that goes through the grill of the car. I followed the instructions form this link:
http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/...=ram+air+grill

The only difference is that I used the aluminum air duct instead of the flex-connector. The aluminum seemed to be sturdy and more aerodynamic. Also, it can stretch out to 8' (not that I was needing it lol). It took me a LONG time to get it all finished, and to those guys who said they did it in 30 minutes- I just don't know how! It took me about 20 mins alone just to get all of that plastic off from around the wheel well and under the car! Good thing I got that "clip remover" (actually some kind of upholstery tool) from the auto parts store too.

Whenever I removed the spash cover from the bottom of the car, this fell out:

It's a big ol, dirty, rusty screwdriver and it was the funniest thing!

Anyway, after using a scroll saw (or some such similar sawing device) to try to cut off the parts of the plastic that were necessary to remove, I realized that "snippers" means "scissor" and just cut off the rest quite easily lol.

Anyway, here are the parts I used:
-4" x 8' aluminum, flexible duct (for the main intake tube)
-4" start collar (it has metal tabs on one side that attached to intake hole under the air box and the other side attached to the tube)
-4" metal clamp (clamped the tube to the start collar)
-2"x3"x4" PVC downspout adapter (this is where the air intakes- it is rectangular on one side and round on the other)
-Metal repair tape (I used it around the joints at the start collar and the downspout adapter)

All of that stuff cost me about $28

I also used a little bit of door sealing strip because the aluminum tubing didn't fit snugly inside of the PVC adapter. I used it to fill in the gap and make it snug, and then I wrapped a couple layers of that metal tape around it.

I also used zip ties to attach the intake (the PVC peice) to the plastic hole I cut in the grill so air could get through.

I was too lazy to bring my camera and take pictures every step of the way (since there are other threds that show how to do it anyway) but I did take a phone pic of the end product through the grill:

As you can see from the pic, there is only a very little area where the intake peeks through the grill (probaly about 1.5" at the widest point) but it's a whole lot better than before! Before, the air resonator/intake led to absolutely no where! You think the designers could have just made one little piece that ran somewhere to get some air

Performance wise, there seems to be a minimal difference in terms of increased acceleration or sound- then again I've only had the car for like a week so I probably can't tell anyway. The engine perhaps sounds a little more aggressive. But, hopefully I'll see an efficiency boost over time in the miles per gallon. I reset the mpg counter before I left my moms house, which is where I did all of the work at since I don't have many tools, and it's already a little better than before (and that's just a 30 minute city drive). I'll keep you posted as to how much of a mpg difference I notice over time.

One last thing, I've ordered a K&N drop in filter as well which I will pick up and install tomorrow. It was $60 but hopefully it will help a) boost performance a little, b) save me some mpgs, and c) last a lot longer than the stock filter.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

I got the K&N filter this morning and drove to work (about 30 mins or so drive) and I've already seen a good improvement in the miles per gallon reading. It's been stable at 20 for the past couple weeks since I got the car and it read 23.3 when I got to work! I'm very happy with the improvement.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Im guessing you have allot of stop & go traffic...?
I average 27-31 in my GT.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

yeah, i haven't really done much highway driving with it yet and when I have it's been the busling traffic of I-75 and I-285 in Atlanta. I'm sure all of your performance mods probably help with your mpg too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in