Today I made a "custom" (I.E. home made : ) ) air intake for my G6. I did like others had done before and I took out the air resonator and I used flexible aluminum air duct to make a ram air intake that goes through the grill of the car. I followed the instructions form this link:
The only difference is that I used the aluminum air duct instead of the flex-connector. The aluminum seemed to be sturdy and more aerodynamic. Also, it can stretch out to 8' (not that I was needing it lol). It took me a LONG time to get it all finished, and to those guys who said they did it in 30 minutes- I just don't know how! It took me about 20 mins alone just to get all of that plastic off from around the wheel well and under the car! Good thing I got that "clip remover" (actually some kind of upholstery tool) from the auto parts store too.
Whenever I removed the spash cover from the bottom of the car, this fell out:
It's a big ol, dirty, rusty screwdriver and it was the funniest thing!
Anyway, after using a scroll saw (or some such similar sawing device) to try to cut off the parts of the plastic that were necessary to remove, I realized that "snippers" means "scissor" and just cut off the rest quite easily lol.
Anyway, here are the parts I used:
-4" x 8' aluminum, flexible duct (for the main intake tube)
-4" start collar (it has metal tabs on one side that attached to intake hole under the air box and the other side attached to the tube)
-4" metal clamp (clamped the tube to the start collar)
-2"x3"x4" PVC downspout adapter (this is where the air intakes- it is rectangular on one side and round on the other)
-Metal repair tape (I used it around the joints at the start collar and the downspout adapter)
All of that stuff cost me about $28
I also used a little bit of door sealing strip because the aluminum tubing didn't fit snugly inside of the PVC adapter. I used it to fill in the gap and make it snug, and then I wrapped a couple layers of that metal tape around it.
I also used zip ties to attach the intake (the PVC peice) to the plastic hole I cut in the grill so air could get through.
I was too lazy to bring my camera and take pictures every step of the way (since there are other threds that show how to do it anyway) but I did take a phone pic of the end product through the grill:
As you can see from the pic, there is only a very little area where the intake peeks through the grill (probaly about 1.5" at the widest point) but it's a whole lot better than before! Before, the air resonator/intake led to absolutely no where! You think the designers could have just made one little piece that ran somewhere to get some air
Performance wise, there seems to be a minimal difference in terms of increased acceleration or sound- then again I've only had the car for like a week so I probably can't tell anyway. The engine perhaps sounds a little more aggressive. But, hopefully I'll see an efficiency boost over time in the miles per gallon. I reset the mpg counter before I left my moms house, which is where I did all of the work at since I don't have many tools, and it's already a little better than before (and that's just a 30 minute city drive). I'll keep you posted as to how much of a mpg difference I notice over time.
One last thing, I've ordered a K&N drop in filter as well which I will pick up and install tomorrow. It was $60 but hopefully it will help a) boost performance a little, b) save me some mpgs, and c) last a lot longer than the stock filter.