Another Noob - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Another Noob

We just traded our 2006 Passat 2.0T for a 2009.5 G6 GT. First thing I always do when I get a new car is find a good owner's forum. Looks like this is the one. We won't be doing too much in the way of performance mods, but we'd like to upgrade the audio a bit and do a few things here and there.

The G6 is silver with black cloth interior. Pretty regular stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:01 PM
07 Black GT Vert ♥

Welcome, you'll find some great tips and good reading on everything Pontiac G6.
Jump in and take a ride, you're going to love the G6 Owners Club!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:24 PM

Welcome to the Forum

2008 Pontiac Sedan - 3.5 V6

Mods so far:
Sylvania Silverstars, Custom Air Intake with Heat shield , 17' Salsa Rims from FastWheels.ca, Lower Grille Chrome Accents, Windows Visors, Hood Deflector, Debadged, Silver Overlays, Eyelids, Recessed Upper Grille, Tinted Tails, GM Strut Bar

Coming Soon - In Order:
Racingline MMI
Racingline Grounding Kit

Updated: 02/22/2011

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Welcome, how does the g6 do compared to the passat?

2006 G6 GTP: 4speed auto, intake resonater delete, mild weight reduction, some custom work, lol.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 PM

welcome aboard

Joe aka Lead_Foot
2008 G6 GT, Silver on Black
CAI - Done, Crabs AirBox - Done,
Magnaflow Exhaust - Done,
Racing Line Strut Bar, MMI, Grounding - Done,
WAMs - Done, Wheels - Done (Spare Pair),
Tires - Done, Fuzion UHP 225-50-17 98W

OBDCom.com - OBD II Software Interface
DashHawk.com - OBD II Hardware Interface
GtechPro SS - Performance Meter
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 03:42 AM
Lifetime Member

Welcome

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
welcome!!

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

Was talking to a guy on Friday who just last week got a 2009 Jetta 2.0t Wolfsburg Edition and it's pretty much the greatest car ever built, according to him anyway. So x2 on how the G6 compares to the Passat 2.0t

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 10:52 AM
08 Black GT Vert

Cool

Welcome,

The Jetta is nice but it cant be as much fun as the G6 convertible...What about your G6???

We are still waiting to hear your opinion.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Here's how I would compare the Passat to the G6 GT. I really wish I had the 6 speed transmission in the G6. I really miss the 6 speed in the VW. The Passat also feels faster to me and it handles better in my opinion. The G6 holds the road fine, but the VW feels better when cornering hard. The variable ratio steering in the VW is really nice compared to the G6 as is the road crown and crosswind correction. Finally the Passat's suspension feels more refined.

Now, before you ask, "Then why the hell did you lose the VW for the G6," we had the Passat for 5 years and put 128,000 miles on it. It was fun to drive and generally was pretty reliable. However, it was getting to the point where the AC, ignition system, and the computer were acting up and the repair costs were just way too much. Parts and labor on the VW are crazy expensive. We were also ready for something different.

The G6 is a bit roomier in the back seat, a bit wider, and is a more relaxed freeway cruiser. It handles nice and looks amazing. While the fit and finish isn't as nice as the VW, it's more interesting inside. The stock stereo is nicer too. Hopefully the G6 will also prove to be more reasonable to maintain.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

welcome aboard Tom!!

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Passat/G6GT comparison update

Well, after having the G6 for awhile, I'd like to re-evaluate my comparison of our Passat vs our G6. The Passat's gas pedal has more aggressive tip-in and shorter travel so the G6 initially felt slower because it requires more throttle to get it moving. Now that I've re-calibrated my foot, the G6 feels every bit as quick as the Passat. I also generally like the G6's sportier attitude and look. The biggest niggles I have with the G6 is that its chassis gets out of shape on bad roads where the VW maintains its composure very well. The G6 also suffers from less refinement and fit and finish issues. Having said that, I am very happy with the G6 and can certainly overlook its few small shortcomings for the significant price savings and the more aggressive attitude.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

Interesting - the VW pedal must really be jumpy as I've found you can "get into it" pretty early on in the G6, at least to me

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Jimmy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomowski View Post
Well, after having the G6 for awhile, I'd like to re-evaluate my comparison of our Passat vs our G6. The Passat's gas pedal has more aggressive tip-in and shorter travel so the G6 initially felt slower because it requires more throttle to get it moving. Now that I've re-calibrated my foot, the G6 feels every bit as quick as the Passat. I also generally like the G6's sportier attitude and look. The biggest niggles I have with the G6 is that its chassis gets out of shape on bad roads where the VW maintains its composure very well. The G6 also suffers from less refinement and fit and finish issues. Having said that, I am very happy with the G6 and can certainly overlook its few small shortcomings for the significant price savings and the more aggressive attitude.
I kind of know what you mean by the aggressiveness of your other car's gas pedal. It's like full throttle or nothing as opposed to a long, steady pedal/throttle that's easier to control but may seem slow at first. I drove a 2009 Hundai Elantra (a rental car) and even though it has a tiny little engine it seems to have a lot of acceleration because it's like all or nothing on the throttle. I found it to be "jumpy" and difficult to control when I drove it with quick, jumpy starts as opposed to smooth starts and smooth acceleration. I think car companies do that to make it seem like it's faster than it is. Your G6 can do the same thing, except you have to really put your foot down and "recalibrate" it like you said.

Jimmy

Back in BLUE
Mods: custom grill ram-air intake, stock airbox w/ K&N drop-in filter, and custom engine paint

Last edited by jpbales; 09-22-2010 at 03:29 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbales View Post
I kind of know what you mean by the aggressiveness of your other car's gas pedal. It's like full throttle or nothing as opposed to a long, steady pedal/throttle that's easier to control but may seem slow at first. I drove a 2009 Hundai Elantra (a rental car) and even though it has a tiny little engine it seems to have a lot of acceleration because it's like all or nothing on the throttle. I found it to be "jumpy" and difficult to control when I drove it with quick, jumpy starts as opposed to smooth starts and smooth acceleration. I think car companies do that to make it seem like it's faster than it is. Your G6 can do the same thing, except you have to really put your foot down and "recalibrate" it like you said.
The Passat isn't really on or off, just more aggressive and it actually backs up the quick feeling. It would pull strong all the way to its 130 mph speed limiter. I love the G6 though. I just wish it was more composed over rough roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in