New Owner-Birmingham AL - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

New Owner-Birmingham AL

Hi all, just traded in my '98 Monte I've had since high school and got a 2007 3.5L G6, Sport trim, but not the GT, metallic gray, 50K miles. Had a G6 as a rental a couple years ago and knew it would be on my short list when it came time to buy.

No mods yet, as I have a couple minor issues to clear up first, maybe some of you would have some insight:

-I'm the 3rd owner, and the place I bought it from (car lot, not a GM dealer) had only 1 key and no remotes. Need to get at least 1 new transponder key (can I get this at any GM dealer?) and I'm just going to install a Viper alarm, so that should take care of the remotes.

-Steering wheel squeak: The rest of the car rides perfect, except for a squeak when I turn the wheel. Sounds like it's coming from right behind the wheel and not deep in the steering system. Still under warranty (again, any GM dealer?) so I'll let them take a look at it, but I hear this has been a common problem? My steering iss all hydraulic, not the electric.

-Aftermarket brakes? When I bought it, the calipers were red. Was this a stock option, b/c I can't tell if they were stock and a prev owner painted them or if they are aftermarket (no stamps or labels). Going to pick up a haynes manual anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
welcome!! calipers are most likely stock just painted red. the only upgrade is Brembos off the Cobalt SS.

and any GM dealer should be able to cut you another key.

how about posting some pics.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 PM

waterfowler got it all!

The steering I hear a lot of people have the same sound/issue - I'd assume you can take it to any GM dealer and have them take care of it.

oh yeah - and pics!

David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 AM

hey man i live in birmingham as well, about to try to grab my moms gt convertible.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 10:46 AM

Might want to try lubing the intermediate steering shaft yourself before you take it to the dealer ship. You might find out that it does the trick. You just lube the joint by the firewall under the dash.

Andrew

08 G6 GT

Modifications: Spyders, HID's Lows/Fogs
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Member

Hi, welcome.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Lead Foot

You bought it from Donohoo didnt you. If so, Ive got a key and fob for you lol.

And care9012 has it right, shoot some heavy lube (thicker than wd40) on the joints in the steering column under the dash and in the engine compartment and the noise should quit.

The Auto: Graphite G6 Sedan
Engine: 3.5L V6
Mods: Red Caliper Paint, Window Tint (more to come, but on a college kid's budget)

Last edited by luckyedboy66; 05-20-2011 at 11:37 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

lol, wow, that's crazy. Yes Luckyed looks like I bought your car. I would really appreciate it if I could get those keys. You can send me a message or just email me at akaregdunlop at gmail. Anything else I should know about in the maintenance history?

2007 G6 3.5L, Metallic Gray, 17", Spoiler, 35% tint all around, sunroof, stock (for now)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Lead Foot

It was a good car and I sort of miss it. It still looks really nice. Mechanically, I never had an issue for the two years I owned it, aside from the annoying steering wheel squeak which I believe needs to have some grease put on it (the spray lube is just a quick fix). No wrecks or anything that I know of. If youre thinking about adding a sub, I have a wiring harness that utilizes the stock headunit.

The Auto: Graphite G6 Sedan
Engine: 3.5L V6
Mods: Red Caliper Paint, Window Tint (more to come, but on a college kid's budget)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in