engine block heater - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

engine block heater

I just moved to North Dakota and I've noticed a lot of people have them. How neccessary are they? I think pontiac offered them as an option. How would I get my hand on one that was specfic for this engine? it's the 3.5 liter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM

if you live in north dakota then you ought to have one weather below 0 tends to be very bad for engines, especially seeing how it can get to -40 in ND in a lot of places, when it gets down that cold and your car is outside your engine block can crack meaning you will need the engine replaced..... radiator and hoses can burst etc......like pipes freezing in ur house, also the oil can get so thick that the engine will barely turn over and oil that is that cold has little to no lubrication properties until it is warmed up.......

so a block heater will keep your engine from freezing, will make it start easier and will save a LOT on the wear and tear on your engine internals at startup the one for the 3.5 and 3.9 VVT was only like $30 at the autoparts store when i got one for my GT when i worked in WY, MT and ND

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Dark Gray Metalic
Bought Feb 28 2009 with 24k miles now has 130k miles RIP Baby death snowplow 1-30-11
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4757

Carbon Black Metalic 2009 G6 GXP Coupe
Bought Oct 8 2010 with 35 miles

Mods so far: every single performance mod and a whole lot more, fastest NA G6
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7974

1/4 mile: [email protected] 109.23

Performance Red Metalic 2009 G6 GXP coupe
bought june 29 2012 with 3400 miles

Mods: RACE CAR- full race fuel setup and in the process of converting to RWD with a 6spd manual trans
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13140
1/4 mile: [email protected] 101.95
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 AM

Most domestic vehicles depending on trim and geographical area come with a block heater from the factory. When I go to northern Ontario hotels don't offer me the option to get a smoking/non smoking room, they ask if I want a cord to plug in my cars block heater.

If you park in an area that is COLD, as mentioned above, it's best to plug the vehicle in right away. Most block heaters are around 400watts and they keep the engine oil from congealing.

Engine blocks have freeze plugs. Once the coolant freezes these plugs will expand when the coolant freezes and push out of the block, in which case the block is saved, but you cannot drive it. Earlier block heaters meant lighting a fire under the oil pan.

You can also check a local salvage yard. Someone I know bought one there for $5 brand new for his truck. My GT came with a block heater from the factory. I normally take my Durango up north on trips and its block heater is used nearly each night I park.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 06:48 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I saw somewhere online an aftermarket heater that goes in place of your oil dipstick.
There's also a few universal ones I found.

Last edited by CruisinG6; 12-17-2012 at 06:51 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Engine blocks have freeze plugs. Once the coolant freezes these plugs will expand when the coolant freezes and push out of the block, in which case the block is saved, but you cannot drive it. Earlier block heaters meant lighting a fire under the oil pan.
GM has NOT be using freeze plugs in its newer vehicles, the 3.6 in my GXP does not have any, and neither did my 08 GT so the 3.5/3.9 do not have them either, now to cap off the bored for the oil and coolant channels they use big threaded plugs instead of freeze plugs so once the coolant freezes it can crack the block, this happend to a GXP i was looking at buying in MT when my GT got wreck from the best i could gather, as there was coolant in the oil, looked around and the block was cracked, and the block heater was still tucked away as if itd never been used and it regularly gets -40F there in the winter.....

when i put on in my GT i had to have a HUGE allen head socket and breaker bar to get the plug out and the new heater threaded into the block it cost about $30, when i put one in my GXP it just slides into a hole in the block and clips in with no coolant contact, the one for my GXP comes with a built in thermostat in the cord and the whole thing for it cost $280 from GM parts direct as its a dealer only item at the time i got mine....

im not sure how they install into the old 3.5 or 4cyl

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Dark Gray Metalic
Bought Feb 28 2009 with 24k miles now has 130k miles RIP Baby death snowplow 1-30-11
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4757

Carbon Black Metalic 2009 G6 GXP Coupe
Bought Oct 8 2010 with 35 miles

Mods so far: every single performance mod and a whole lot more, fastest NA G6
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7974

1/4 mile: [email protected] 109.23

Performance Red Metalic 2009 G6 GXP coupe
bought june 29 2012 with 3400 miles

Mods: RACE CAR- full race fuel setup and in the process of converting to RWD with a 6spd manual trans
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13140
1/4 mile: [email protected] 101.95
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyG6 View Post
GM has NOT be using freeze plugs in its newer vehicles, the 3.6 in my GXP does not have any, and neither did my 08 GT so the 3.5/3.9 do not have them either, now to cap off the bored for the oil and coolant channels they use big threaded plugs instead of freeze plugs so once the coolant freezes it can crack the block, this happend to a GXP i was looking at buying in MT when my GT got wreck from the best i could gather, as there was coolant in the oil, looked around and the block was cracked, and the block heater was still tucked away as if itd never been used and it regularly gets -40F there in the winter.....

when i put on in my GT i had to have a HUGE allen head socket and breaker bar to get the plug out and the new heater threaded into the block it cost about $30, when i put one in my GXP it just slides into a hole in the block and clips in with no coolant contact, the one for my GXP comes with a built in thermostat in the cord and the whole thing for it cost $280 from GM parts direct as its a dealer only item at the time i got mine....

im not sure how they install into the old 3.5 or 4cyl
That's good to know as it gives me another reason not to buy another GM vehicle. My '99 Taurus will outlive my GT... dealer service during the warranty period was horrid. I generally take my Durango up to northern Ontario where -40C is easily attainable overnight.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in