*Review* OBX Catback Exhaust - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
*Review* OBX Catback Exhaust

Brand: OBX Racing
Price: $285.00 + Free Shipping
Purchased From: Amazon.com

Installation: Very easy install, just jack the car up and get going. The exhaust had the wrong sized hangers so I just used duct tape to increase the size to fit properly. Also the mid pipe kept slipping and coming loose to where it would hit the ground, so I used a metal wire clamp thing and bolted it to the subframe. EASY FIX and not a pain. It didn't come with a new exhaust gasket but others did receive one. Oh well, didn't mine getting a new one, it was only $6. Other than that, bolts right up!

Installation Time: Less than 45 minutes, plus a trip to Autozone for a gasket =)

Any Installation Tips You Have: It would have taken less than 30 minutes if you have a lift LOL

Quality of Part: 10
Product Performance: 10
Would you Recommend to Others: YES! People! Just because this exhaust is $285 does not mean its crap. It does not have any rasp at all and is very quality material. Great sound and great price, wouldn't have done it any differently.

Any Other Comments: When you take your stock exhaust off, turn the car on! It sounds so mean!!!! Haha

I WILL HAVE PICS SOON! And I will upload a quality video soon also.

2006 G6 GT Coupe | Emerald Green | Blacked-out Emblems and Grilles | Silverstar ZXE's | CRABS Op. 3 + FPU | Eibach Lowering Springs | OBX Exhaust

COMING NEXT: 25mm Wheel Spacers | Racingline Strut Bar & MMI's | and possibly the AIT Front Bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:58 PM

I'll second everything said in here. I have the exhaust as well, and its great for the price. I had no issues with fitment, might be hit or miss, but sounds minor anyways...

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Very minor, easy fix

2006 G6 GT Coupe | Emerald Green | Blacked-out Emblems and Grilles | Silverstar ZXE's | CRABS Op. 3 + FPU | Eibach Lowering Springs | OBX Exhaust

COMING NEXT: 25mm Wheel Spacers | Racingline Strut Bar & MMI's | and possibly the AIT Front Bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 AM

Location: Marine Corps Air Station New River, Jacksonville, NC

Maybe i should take my sidepipe off and put this on there with an electric cutout right after the cat of course. lol

2008 Pontiac G6 Base Sedan 3.5L VVT White Diamond Tricoat
Mods: Window tint 20% all around besides front, 2009.5 spoiler, Eagle Eyes, OPT7 55W 5000K Low beam, OPT7 35W 3000K Fogs, Recessed grills dipped black, Interior trim pieces red to match lights, Wheels primed and painted flat black (powdercoat soon), custom side exit exhaust with magnaflow performance tip, Roof Spoiler, Racingline STB, Chevy Caprice Push Bumper Custom Mounted, Plasti dipped door handles, door trim, and fuel door.
Mods to come: OPT7 55W 5000K High beam, OBX Cat-back with electric cutout, Pedders Lowering Springs, Powdercoat Rims (Gloss Black), 2009.5 spoiler color matched, MPD hood, GM Ground Effects
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 AM

I'd like to see some pics. Sounds like a fun project.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 04:05 PM

I have pics in my progression IIRC

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am going on vacation for 2 weeks starting tomorrow so I can't get pics, but when I get back I'll upload them and have videos. Until then shibby can upload some pics

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well guys. Exciting news! I finally got a decent video of a startup and some revs. Im going to be making more videos of flybys, accelerations and in car driving with pulls. Stay tuned.

Enjoy! (Taken with Galaxy s5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B627-qw9CSk

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 06:35 PM

I just ordered one of these bad boys off amazon for 300with free shipping, I'm pretty pumped. anyone use it with crabs installed?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yup. I have it with crabs. Sounds amazing, you won't be disappointed. And when you install it and take off your stock exhaust, turn the car on and rev it a little, it sound so mean and loud without an exhaust

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:35 PM

my box will be here any day now I'm pretty excited! ill run her open headers and take a video for sure. did your cutback come with the bolts or did you use your old ones? mine are pretty rusted ill probably have to cut them off.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Installed it late last night without a lift, wasn't too bad but id definitely recommend having a buddy help.

Didn't come with a gasket or bolts, my old bolts were still perfect though after 86k miles.

Bolts on real nice but the hanger mounts on the catback are skinny as opposed to the fat ones so i literally have zip ties holding the hangers in place until i can get new ones.

The clamps it came with are terrible and you physically can't get a wrench on the bolt to tighten the clamp to how tight it needs to be to restrain the mid pipe so tomorrow i will be taking it to an exhaust shop to have them weld the mid pipe in place.

Since the mid pipe isn't restrained it can actually rotate right now if theres about 20lbs of force on it so i lock wired it into place so i don't risk dragging it when i drive.

The construction of the exhaust is solid and i have full faith in its quality. Even after the lack of gasket, bolts, and clamps don't work right i cannot believe i got this for 300$ off amazon with free shipping.

Exhaust sounds great even with the guaranteed leaks it has from the shitty clamps. Im excited to hear it after the shop welds it! I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to upgrade the exhaust on their g6.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Are these single or dual out?

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 05:11 PM

single out 3.5" tip

CRABs w/ FPU | OBX Catback | RacingLine STB & MMIs
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yeah, the clamps are literally crap... but just think, if they would have put better ones on or welding, it would have cost a ton more. So its easier just to get it welded from a shop

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in