XM Radio question - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pr0cl1v1ty
XM Radio question

Does anyone here have any experience with their XM radio? I just decided to mess with it and called the XM company, they gave me 3 months free without having to give any credit card information. So far it is pretty good, the sound output is sometimes lower then regular radio. When I bought my car it was missing the top black antenna piece, it looks like it was slide off. I don't know if this is the receiver for the XM radio or the OnStar or both? Anyways what have your experiences been?

2008 Pontiac G6 GT

Current Mods
-------------
G6 Black on Red Mats
Tint: Front 20%/Rear 15%
Raptor H.I.D. kit 5000k Lows
Crabs Option 3

Upcoming Mods
---------------
Interior red L.E.D.
G6 Custom Tail light
Remote Start
OEM Spoiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Its expensive for what you get. When it came out it was commercial free radio. Its not commercial free anymore. Well...80% of it isnt.

I was paying like $30 a month and finally said screw that and I called em and dumped em. Then they said I could have a full year of the service (same service) for $77. I was like"how long has that been available"....turns out for quite awhile. They were letting me pay $30 a month knowing I could have it cheaper. Azzholes. So I paid the $77. had it for a full year and now its time to reup and they sent me a bill. now they want $45 a quarter. Screw that.

I cant decide weather to call em and ask for a years worth for the $77 or just drop em. Im kinda sick of the DJ's they now have. The point of XM was commercial free. I couldnt give a rats azz what M&M is doing in Cincinatti or some such other crap they spew between songs. And why is it they advertise for XM on XM if the only people who can hear it are subscribers?

Anyway.....was a fan.....not anymore because they are all over the map on the rules. You dont now what costs what (can change daily or depending on who you talk to) and its getting to be more and more like FM radio.

I now have local FM stations that play 1.5 hrs of commercial free music then like 5 min of commercials then it cycles again. Thats better than most of XM.

-End rant

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
Its expensive for what you get. When it came out it was commercial free radio. Its not commercial free anymore. Well...80% of it isnt.

I was paying like $30 a month and finally said screw that and I called em and dumped em. Then they said I could have a full year of the service (same service) for $77. I was like"how long has that been available"....turns out for quite awhile. They were letting me pay $30 a month knowing I could have it cheaper. Azzholes. So I paid the $77. had it for a full year and now its time to reup and they sent me a bill. now they want $45 a quarter. Screw that.

I cant decide weather to call em and ask for a years worth for the $77 or just drop em. Im kinda sick of the DJ's they now have. The point of XM was commercial free. I couldnt give a rats azz what M&M is doing in Cincinatti or some such other crap they spew between songs. And why is it they advertise for XM on XM if the only people who can hear it are subscribers?

Anyway.....was a fan.....not anymore because they are all over the map on the rules. You dont now what costs what (can change daily or depending on who you talk to) and its getting to be more and more like FM radio.

I now have local FM stations that play 1.5 hrs of commercial free music then like 5 min of commercials then it cycles again. Thats better than most of XM.

-End rant
Haha Lampoon, I <3 u. Thanks for that detailed answer btw. I so far like it but none of the stations even utilize my bass in my car except for one lol.

2008 Pontiac G6 GT

Current Mods
-------------
G6 Black on Red Mats
Crabs Option 3

Upcoming Mods
---------------
Interior red L.E.D.
G6 Custom Tail light
Remote Start
OEM Spoiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:53 PM

$77 a year is what I have been paying.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Ok...so I call em and ask them if they have the $77 deal for a year still.
She says no. Its $166. I say forget it and cancel my account. She says "WAIT"
and asks why I would want to do that. I explain ITS TOO MUCH MONEY. She says they have a half off special right now so if I buy 6 months worth I get a year. Ok...how much is that. She says $77. Im like WTF man. So I say ok.....then she says it will auto renue. I say in one year it will auto renue and I will owe $166? She says yes. I say Forget it and to cancel my account. She says "WAIT" and asks me why I would do that. I said I dont want an auto renue. I want to get it for $77 a year. She then says "ok, we can put you on invoice billing so it will bill you then you can call us when it expires". SIgh..... Ok......

Why cant they just be up front with you??????

So they are now invoicing me for $77 for another year.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:09 PM

It's all a scam, my sister had to go through the same thing. She was actually billed and not informed about it. I enjoy XM for a few stations 90's on 9 being one of my favorites lol. But you have to be smarter then them. It's almost like buying a car you have to negotiate

09 Ford Mustang Pony Edition
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Professional geek

I called them up when I bought the car and signed up for the lifetime plan. I know I'm going to keep the car for a while, and if I do get rid of it I can transfer the subscription to another radio for not too awfully much.

I am getting annoyed by some of the DJs, thankfully not all channels have them and those that don't don't have them blabbering 24/7.

~ MattInSoCal
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInSoCal View Post
I called them up when I bought the car and signed up for the lifetime plan. I know I'm going to keep the car for a while, and if I do get rid of it I can transfer the subscription to another radio for not too awfully much.

I am getting annoyed by some of the DJs, thankfully not all channels have them and those that don't don't have them blabbering 24/7.

~ MattInSoCal
How much was it?

2008 Pontiac G6 GT

Current Mods
-------------
G6 Black on Red Mats
Crabs Option 3

Upcoming Mods
---------------
Interior red L.E.D.
G6 Custom Tail light
Remote Start
OEM Spoiler
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
i got my lifetime in 05 when howard announced he was going over to sirius and i think it cost 399 or 499..... but i think ive heard that if you buy it now your not able to transfer it.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 01:27 PM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
you can do like I did and tell them your going to florida for the winter for 4 months leaving your car at home and you want to stop your service.. They will then not bill you for 4 months but your service will still work.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0cl1v1ty View Post
How much was it?
I paid $461.49 last March for the standard package, about 5 years' worth. Transfer fee is $50, you can do so up to 3 times. Or at least those were the terms then.

I've been a subscriber for about 6 years already. The cool thing with my last receiver was that it was an add-on to my Kenwood head unit, so when I bought another vehicle I moved the accessories over (had to buy a new head unit since I lost the stock radio on the trade-in vehicle). I wasn't a lifer then, so when I got the G6 I decided to go ahead and do it.

~ MattInSoCal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in