"HOW TO" remove shift plate/nob/shift collar
small flat head
Section 1 (removing shifter nob and chrome collar)
1. Pull your "E" brake up as high as you can, then roll your car over to ACC mode and put your shifter in "drive". (dont start the car, just move the key over so that you can move the shifter) once car is in drive you can roll the car back to off.
2. Take your flat head and pry GENTLY in between the nob and the collar, the collar will slide done the rod out of the way. There is a small phillip's head screw underneath the shifter button. Remove that screw and the nob and collar will come off the rod.
DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR OUT OF DRIVE OR RELEASE THE "E" BRAKE.
Section 2 (removing shifter plate)
1. Push driver and passenger seats all the way back. Disconnect the plastic piece by the pedals of the driver side, and the plastic piece on the passenger side that run with the consolel.
2. Once you've removed both pieces, look for what looks to be a "cap". Take your flat head and gently pry the cap out, there will be a 10MM bolt behind the cap. There is 4 total. 2 on each side. once you have the driver/passengers done, move the seats all the forward, there will be the other 2 caps on the back of the console, remove them the same way and get the 10MM bolts.
3. With the bolts gone, the console will lift up freely. grab the console at the back where the handle is to pull down the cup holders and lift up, and keep lifting up till you see the plate, dont be rough but you dont need to baby it either. ( i realize now that it'd been easier to get to from the back seat so do it from the back seat.)
4. You will see the shifter sitting on a white plastic piece, i popped the white plastic piece off, then took my flat head and popped off the shift plate.. connect the white piece back to the part it butts up to and there ya go!! paint away!
when you reinstall your shifter plate, hold your console up stick your shifter back on the white piece you took it off of and it will snap back on, then guide the console down gently to make sure you dont beat it off of the shifter plate and scratch it.
then to reassemble everything just repeat all the steps of taking it apart!
im sorry there isn't pictures, i was bugging Pooners about how to do it because I could find a legit "how to" so I thought i'd make it sense it was fresh on my mind. please edit if you see something that could be added or delete this post all together
Last edited by penelopeTHEg6; 11-16-2011 at 07:29 PM.