HOW-TO Run Seafoam through the vacuum on your 2.4l 4cyl - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

HOW-TO Run Seafoam through the vacuum on your 2.4l 4cyl

Here's a great and easy way to run seafoam or any other cleaner into your motor through the vacuum line.
This is made using the 2.4L l4 LE5 engine. It may be similar on the V6 motors.

I like this method because I don't have to screw around with my brake booster line.

Now I've already removed the large black plastic cover that was over the engine and looking at the motor you'll see this.

To the left of this photo you will see the Throttle Body, on top of it you will see a PCV valve looking thing (Left Red Arrow) with a somewhat shiny tube leading from it to the right side of the picture into a little block (Right Red Arrow)

Here's a close of up that:

Look closely at the end of that connector, You'll see a little tab sticking out. The arrow points directly to the tab. Simply press that down as you try to pull it out and...

...It'll come apart!
At this point when the engine is running it'll start to run pretty rough and you can hear that tube making a ton of hissing.

Here's a close up of the connector removed so you can see tab and the way it works.

So do this while the engine is running, and have a friend sitting in the drivers seat to feather the throttle. As he's giving it a little gas to keep the RPM up you just start pouring the seafoam in. It'll suck it right up!

After the engine sucks up the last bit of seafoam you decided to pour in, turn the car off and reconnect the tube, simply push it back on and it'll snap right into place. Let it sit for about 5 or 10 minutes, then fire it back up and let it run for a few minutes to complete the process.

You'll see alot of white smoke/steam coming from the exhaust, that's normal. Just be sure to do it outside.

Last edited by waterfowler76; 03-31-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 PM

Seafoam

...thanks for the great post...do you worry about the Seafoam causing cylinder wear because doesn't it remove the oil from the cylinder walls? Just asking because I have heard people say that it is a great thing to do and other folks say that it isn't. Thank you - been thinking of doing this on my Toyota Truck because it's starting to get up there in miles...thanks again!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I've heard seafoam can dry seals, but they say you can add it to the oil to help clean internals. But I'm sure running it through a vac line won't cause any problems with cylinder wear. The way I see it is running it once every so often will do more good than harm.
But if your pouring a can in every week then you may experience issues. Another general consensus is that its really more useful on older dirtier engines. I probably jumped the gun on my G6 a bit lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Good Write Up

06 G6
00 C5 Z51
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > HOW-TO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in