how to change transmission fluid - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

how to change transmission fluid

I have a 2008 pontiac g6 automatic. I've never changed the fluid inside the transmission so I would like to do that. Is there a drain nut and fill nut? Or is it just one nut that you drain and fill? Also how many quarts of oil does it take? And what kind of transmission oil do I use? Can I use regular oil? I'm sure theres a how to instructional guide on how to do it but I can't find it. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Sadly this is in the wrong section... but to do that you'll have to remove the entire transmission pan. Then you can get to the filter and replace it and you can replace the pan. This will require about 7 quarts of dexron VI fluid

Last edited by CruisinG6; 08-20-2012 at 03:15 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Sadly this is in the wrong section... but to do that you'll have to remove the entire transmission pan. Then you can get to the filter and replace it and you can replace the pan. This will require about 7 quarts of dexron VI fluid
sorry ill try to figure out how to move it. IS there a thread that says how to do it...like a DIY post, and where do i get that kind of oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

It's alright, it happens. I think only an admin can move it, I don't think there's a thread on the G6 forums but I did find this on the malibu forums: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=7641
They post an entire run through.

Dexron is available at any auto parts store, walmart even carries the cheap brand of that stuff. Older GM transmissions use Dexron III 2006 and newer G6's use Dexron VI (6)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 PM

A trans fluid change is in my future shortly. OEM fluid has been in for 6 years and I've only put on 43K miles or so, but it's mostly city driving. I'm going to run the Amsoil ATF.

It's quite a pain that all GM has is a small hole to fill the ATF through.

Cruisin thanks for the Malibu link.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

No problem! It does suck the fill hole is so small, but a long thin funnel fits right in. Just gotta pour slow and give the air a chance to escape.

I'm actually planning a fluid change soon myself. But I'm going to stick to Dexron VI
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 AM

I wanted to comment on the Malibu forum too, saying changing the fluid on ramps is no good. BAH to that. I do all my fluid changes on ramps. $200 for trans service at the dealer - no thanks.

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 02:09 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I think the main reason is because you may not drain all the trans fluid possible when the car is up on an angle like that. For oil it makes sense but for the trans I would suggest jacking up the rear end so the car is level. Its also integral for making sure its filled to the right level. When you open the bleeder screw its supposed to drain until the trans fluid is at the right level. Having the car on an angle could result in over filling or under filling. And I'm pretty sure its key to have just the right amount of fluid...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 AM

That's correct. It was more of a safety aspect on the other forums hence the reason I wanted to comment. I always drop the pan to drain the fluid anyway, but to fill it correctly is another story.

I have my own solid wood ramps that are 9" tall, 9" wide and 5' long. Depending on the service it's easier to lift the rear on stands while utilizing the ramps. Interesting how folks on the Malibu forum don't seem to know how to operate a parking brake, let alone it's function on a vehicle. Such is the way of the world when automatics take over...

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Makes sense, I mean a total pan drop on an angle shouldn't create any issues, it's that darn fill procedure that I dislike. Sounds like you have a nice set of ramps, ones that even a lowered car can get up on!

As for the E-brake I use mine religiously. Every time I park the car I pull that brake, sometimes If i'm waiting in a line or something I'll just pop it into neutral and pull the brake. I figure if you keep using it, it won't get destroyed by rust, and the one time you need it, it won't work or will stick, plus I'm fairly certain that when parked on a hill, letting the transmission lock in park puts some extra stress on the parking pawl in the trans, as well as on the motor/trans mounts.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM

Garage
I was going to replace mine over the summer. Just didn't have the extra cash. I think a new transmission pan was going to cost like $28 or something. Plus the fluid. Does Royal Purple make the fluid we need? I have heard wonderful things about it

2009.1 PSM GT Sport Package.
OBX 1 7/8" Headers, X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth, 6k HID's, VCM OTR Intake, Rick C Intake and Throttle Body, MM Carbon Fiber Hood
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 AM

just tossing in my two cents. when you drop the pan regardless of what angle the car is at you will never drain out all the fluid, but i do agree that the car needs to be level to fill. the fluid left in the TQ converter will not drain. on these GM 4 speed transmissions it has been my experience that you will only get about 5 to 6 qt out when dropping the pan (I always measure old fluid to get an idea on how much to put back in). a full flush is usually 7 to 9 qt depending on year model and vin.

When the dealer does a trans fluid flush they hook up the trans cooling lines to a machine and inject a cleaner into the system and then pumps out all old fluid (TQ converter included) and fills it with new. they never drop the pan or change filter unless there is a leak. that is the only way in my understanding to get a complete fluid flush. The amsol and royal purple is great stuff but unless you are doing a complete flush i would just stick with the Dexron VI. Just had the fluid changed out in my 07 Malibu the other day. dealer said that there is a synthetic and non-synthetic version of Dexron VI. non-synthetic was 140 for a change and the synthetic was 180. they said that the fluid type is dictated by vin. i usually say that doing the fluid once ever 60k will keep her running good. again this is just my opinion.

hopes that this helps. I have done plenty of changes on these transmissions and i love dropping the pan. the garage floor looks like you just butchered some animals for dinner because of all the red fluid.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM

With the synthetic fluids out there, GM can eat me if it wants to install reg trans oil thinking I'll be back for another service in half the time. For the extra $40 it's worth it. I can safely assume that a transmission service in Canada will run $250. I can get Amsoil ATF for $10 quart, if that, and do it myself over a couple hours knowing it was in fact changed for 1/3 the price of the stealership.

I got a quote from a Dodge dealer on a 4x4 service (axles and transfer case). They said $542. I purchased the fluids, spend half a day at it (I like to let the RTV sealant dry before I throw in fresh fluid) with taxes, oil and parts, came to ~$130. That was three years ago. No leaks or top ups have been required since.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 04:59 PM

I wanted to change the filter and fluid in my wife's 2006 G6 with a 4cyl and 123,680.
Jiffy Lube change the fluid at 60,000 miles.
Not wanting to only change half the fluid with just a filter change. I found this post and thought I would add my experience.
I removed the fluid level check plug and the transmission cooler lines after draining and changing the filter along with adding 4 qts of new fluid. I used my air compressor with air presser limited to 20 psi to blow out the fluid from the cooler. To not make a big mess I turned a piece of 1/2" stainless tube down to .465" O.D. x 1" and bent it 90 degrees. This with a short section of rubber hose for added length. The turned down area fit into the top hole of the removed oil cooler line. I then had the wife start the car while I watched the fluid being pumped out of the stall converter in to a large pan. With about four quarts emptied I had the wife stop the motor. I then added four more quarts. Restarting the engine the transmissions pumped out the rest of the old fluid that was in the stall converter. I was able to tell when all the old fluid was removed due to foaming and air coming out of the line. This is when I had the wife turn off the car. Seven quarts is what was pumped out of the converter for a total of 14 quarts and a few ounces. Then I added 4 more quarts and ran the car thru all the gears. Then added some more the rest of the fluid until it started running out the fluid level check hole. I then plugged the hole and took the car for a test drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > HOW-TO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in