Pontiac G6 Forum banner

HOW TO - Replace the Turn Signal Switch

107K views 55 replies 26 participants last post by  stacienicolestory 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems to be pretty common for the Turn Signal switch to stop canceling after a turn. Nowadays the turn signal switch can be replaced without having to pull the steering wheel. The switch itself isn't fairly expensive and can be purchased from amazon for less than $30

The Part Number is: 20940369

First I'll outline removing the old switch, Replacing the new one is just the same steps in reverse.
Then I'll point out the weakness in these switches.

Tools Needed:

- 7mm Socket/Nut Driver

- Flathead Screwdriver

To make it easier, tilt the steering wheel as far down as possible, and pull it as far out as possible:

Now to pop off the top cover. It just snaps on, I found it easy to grab it by the edges from each stalk hole and just pop it up:

Once open you'll see all the wires and switches, Amazing how much crud settles down in there:

Next you'll need to remove the lower cover. It is held in place with 3 7mm bolts.

Once the bolts are removed you can either just let it hang, or wiggle it out. It's not too difficult to get it passed the tilt lever:

It's also worth noting those bolts are screwed into plastic, When it comes time to replace everything you don't need to tighten these down very much. It's just a plastic cover after all.

Now the switch is held in with two clips only. One on top, one on the bottom:

You can just take a screwdriver to each little opening and push them inward to release the clips:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
On mine, when I pushed the clip down it clicked in place and stayed down:

Once the clips are released you can just pull it straight out, there's enough slack in the wires to get it all the way out:

I found when replacing the new switch I had to pop each clip up again to lock it in place.

There are two connectors to unplug.
The left one you need to pull the black clip outwards as you unplug the connector, and the right one you just simply push the locking clip in as you pull it out:

And now the old switch is removed and you are ready for the new switch.
Next I'll describe how these work and where the obvious flaw is.

#3 · (Edited)
So here is the entire turn signal switch:

If we look on the business end that sits inside the column we see a little white tab just inside the opening:

--For the next few photos I flicked the switch to signal a RIGHT turn--
When you move the lever to signal a turn that little white tab sticks out:

Now, when you make a turn there is an extra bit of plastic that sits on the steering column that moves with the steering wheel:

Here's a quick video showing that in motion to give you a better idea:

It's this plastic piece that catches the white tab on the switch to cancel the signal

With the signal set to show a right turn the tab can be pushed upwards (during the right turn) and it simply just hides away into the switch housing:

But when the steering wheel comes back to the left, It'll hit that plastic tab and catch and then cancel the signal.

If I push a little harder on the tab, it would cancel the signal and then pop back into the housing.

It is this little white plastic tab and what it connects to inside the switch that breaks. Usually I found what breaks the tab is holding the switch through a turn, Say if you're going through a double turn and you want to signal for both, instead of letting it cancel some people will hold it down as the steering wheel comes back. If you do this you'll hear a louder click, and that can break the tab or something inside it connects to.

#6 ·
Nice writeup. Looks just like how I swapped mine when it crapped out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
#9 ·
Man this is right on time. Mine just went out. I thought all my bass vibrations did it but evidently it's a common problem. Thanks Crusin!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#12 ·
Every G6 I've seen has been set up this way. But I can't say 100% that your 2006 is the same. You can always pop off the top cover for the steering column and see how it looks. If its the same from up top then it should all be the same when replacing.

#13 ·
Used this on my 07 GTP after my turn signal switch stopped auto canceling and felt like crap when going to the left.

Took me 10 minutes, most the time i was laughing at Nascar radio and that includes the test drive.

Cost me 22$ to buy the part off Amazon.

Great write up cruisin

#15 ·
Great article and with these instructions it was the easiest switch to put in I've ever done. The dealer told me the steering wheel needed to be removed and a sensor for the air bag would have to be replaced, I called another one and was told the same thing but the price went from 400.00 to possibly 500.00. The dealers really hurt themselves when they stretch a job out like this, I would have felt better if they told me it was a fairly easy job and they could do it for the cost of the part and minimum of 1/2 hour labor or even 1 hr labor. There are times when I do not have the time or part and would pay if I felt they were treating me fairly. I took less than 10 minutes to do this and that was with getting a couple of tools out of my garage.

#17 ·
400$?!?! What a scam, bunch of rip off artists. Took me 15 minutes myself and that was while listening to the radio and cleaning out all the dust i saw in the steering wheel area.

Cost me 25$ for the part. I am almost thinking about buying another just in case it goes up in price for some reason, and due to the fact i here these are commonly broken.....

#22 ·
Nice detail, I also was quoted around $350 at the dealership. Amazon prime delivered for free in 2 days for $21.00. I looked at your instructions the night before so I had an idea on what to do. Turned on my radio in the garage and started a song. Got the tools and started the repair. The SECOND song started and I was putting in the last 7mm screw. Total time about 4 minutes, total cost $21. I saved over $300 and less time than it would take to check in at the dealership.

#24 ·