How to: Change Inner tire rod end - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Talking How to: Change Inner tire rod end

I was wondering if anyone could walk me through how to replace a inner tire rod end. Also post a picture of what the part looks like and is called that i need use to replace it.

Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 09:55 AM
G6 GXP

You can search for a YouTube video. I did the same thing last night, because Firestone advised me that I'd need my driver's side tie-rod end replaced in a few months.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

ya I was quoted $450 and I really cant afford it that. Is the part expensive to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

that video was for a gtp i have a g6 v6 not same and mine is sedan.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 08:22 PM
G6 GXP

That procedure shouldn't be too far off what you have to do. Tie-rods are tie-rods, all over the world, and the cars are structurally not that different. Search YouTube for your own make/model/year and you should find something very easily. The part itself is not that expensive, but you can search on RockAuto.com and Autozone.com. Ebay is a good place to buy parts too. My local Advance Auto Parts quoted me about $30, and showed me the part - it's small and easy to replace, just jack up the car, use jackstands, and don't forget to chock your wheels.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 AM

Location: Marine Corps Air Station New River, Jacksonville, NC

1. Put the entire front in the air
2. Remove wheel
3. Remove tie rod end. (I just cut mind off with a cutting wheel cause they were replaced as well)
4. There is a little house attached to the top of the rubber boot that needs to be released from its hold.
5. Using a long skinny flat head, pry off the metal clamp holding the rubber boot on.
6. Undo the smaller clamp with needle nose pliers.
7. Pull entire boot off the tie rod.
8. Push the white plastic sleeve away from the inner tie rod (remove completely after tie rod is out)
9. Using an inner tie rod tool, unscrew the inner tie rod.
10. Repeat steps backward for installation. And use a long zip tie in place of the rear metal clamp. You will have to break it off during removal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G6 Base Sedan 3.5L VVT White Diamond Tricoat
Mods: Window tint 20% all around besides front, 2009.5 spoiler, Eagle Eyes, OPT7 55W 5000K Low beam, OPT7 35W 3000K Fogs, Recessed grills dipped black, Interior trim pieces red to match lights, Wheels primed and painted flat black (powdercoat soon), custom side exit exhaust with magnaflow performance tip, Roof Spoiler, Racingline STB, Chevy Caprice Push Bumper Custom Mounted, Plasti dipped door handles, door trim, and fuel door.
Mods to come: OPT7 55W 5000K High beam, OBX Cat-back with electric cutout, Pedders Lowering Springs, Powdercoat Rims (Gloss Black), 2009.5 spoiler color matched, MPD hood, GM Ground Effects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > HOW-TO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in