Oil pan gasket replacement, 2007 G6 LZ4 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Oil pan gasket replacement, 2007 G6 LZ4

My G6 is a 2007 model with the 3.5 liter V6 (LZ4). I am in the process of putting a new oil pan gasket on it, and have some questions about the procedures. The shop manual calls for three steps I'm wondering about:

1. Raising the motor
2. Separating the transmission from the block a little bit
3. Removing both catalytic converters

Raising the motor is not a big thing, but it almost looks like there is enough clearance to get the pan out without needing to do that. Is raising it really necessary?

I've seen on other models where separating the transmission was called for, but folks were able to avoid doing that. Again, is this step really necessary on the G6?

Lastly, removing both catalytic converters is definitely not necessary the rear one is clearly not in the way, but the front one may be. Here again, it almost looks like the pan can be removed without removing the front cat. Is it mandatory to do that?

Thanks for your inputs on this.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 05:45 PM

I just did my 3.9 and I didnt raise the engine but removed the front cat. I loosened the left side cradle bolts and removed the right side ones . I wedged and pried the cradle down about 2 inches to get the pan out. A lot less hassle than raising the engine.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistech View Post
I just did my 3.9 and I didnt raise the engine but removed the front cat. I loosened the left side cradle bolts and removed the right side ones . I wedged and pried the cradle down about 2 inches to get the pan out. A lot less hassle than raising the engine.
Thanks for your reply.

I just got the front cat out a little while ago, and am calling it a night. (Also hoping the forecasted rain doesn't happen so I can finish this thing.)

I need to replace the bolts between the cat and the manifold. They were galled pretty good.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > HOW-TO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in