low beam not working (pt. 1 of 2) - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

low beam not working (pt. 1 of 2)

Intro. Left side (driver side) low beam burned out. Pulled light it out, looked at it. Yup, thatís burned out. Replaced it. Still out. What? Went to the internet. Found many issues regarding the wire harness burning out around the low beam connector. Mine looked fine, and the high beam and hazards work. Now itís time to troubleshoot. (disclaimer: I still didnít get the main issued resolved. I simply did a quick fix until I have more time to find the underlying issue.) I do apologize for the lack of photos.
I removed the whole light unit (assembly) and started to inspect the wires going into the low beam for any corrosion or burned wires, however, everything looked fine.
Then I decided, well if the wires look fine, lets test this WHOLE LIGHT UNIT and see if it works on the OPPOSITE SIDE (passenger side). The whole light unit works! Low beams, high beams, and hazards. Hmmmm, if the whole light unit works, then there shouldnít be problem with the light unit.
Since I already had removed the passenger side light unit, I thought I would connect it to the driver side (bad side) to verify if the low beam would not illuminate. I was right. The ďknown goodĒ (passenger side), low beam did not work on the driver side. Now I know, I have a problem with power getting to my light unit.
I inspected the pigtail wire harness for any corrosion/burned wires. Nothing out of the normal. Wires were tightly in place, and nothing looked damaged.
I followed the wires back into the fuse box. Hmmm, maybe itís a burned fuse? Well, its not a fuse. Itís a relay. So I have noticed that the low beam relay and the horn relay are exactly alike. So, I removed the horn relay and put it in the low beam relay slot. Still didnít fix the issue (I figured as much since, I was still able to get power to the high beam, and hazards on both side, driver and passenger).
(due to limited photos i was able to upload, please follow the link to my next post)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left side low beam light connector.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	13621   Click image for larger version

Name:	left light unit on right 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	13623   Click image for larger version

Name:	left light unit on right.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	13625   Click image for larger version

Name:	left side low beam male 2.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	13627   Click image for larger version

Name:	left side low beam male.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	13629  

Wear your seat belts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

here is part 2
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/2...tml#post270239

Wear your seat belts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > HOW-TO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in