How do I install new trunk shocks? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

How do I install new trunk shocks?

Well, I ordered two new trunk shocks and went to put them on my 2008 GT convertible, but it’s not obvious how to replace them, and accessing the bottom end of them seems difficult. I have a service manual (whether it’s complete or not is beyond me) but couldn’t seem to find directions.

Do I just take a pry bar and pop them off, then squeeze the new ones on? I gently pried (with a trim popper, see photo), but I didn’t want to put that much pressure on the hardtop’s trunk arms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9545F0A8-8A86-4DBA-82EA-7F8C870B2D17_1565045439062.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	14047  

2008 Pontiac G6 GT convertible, 3.5L V6, 130K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 PM

There is a black clip that you can just see to the right of the pry bar you are holding. It is semi-circular and has a small gap that you can get a screwdriver in. You can either pull it out enough to release the ball joint where you have the pry bar or you can push / shimmy it up and out of the way and the support will just lift off. Same clip is on the bottom and you are right that it is hard to get to. Personally I found it easier to slowly lift / shimmy them towards the end of the strut. It is sitting in a slot that is open to the top and bottom. Hope that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunksupport.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	14049  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! I did notice the clip on the current shocks. I'll try working at that clip tomorrow.

The new parts (listed as compatible with the old part number) don't have a clip or a place to put one, though. Hopefully they just push into place.

2008 Pontiac G6 GT convertible, 3.5L V6, 130K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:23 PM

My replacements had a pin combined with a small clip that held the pin in place. Not as robust as the originals but unlikely the strut will come off.
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/1...tml#post200481

Last edited by boomer; 08-06-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added link to pictures
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:53 AM
2007 G6 GT conv

Garage
The struts I bought on eBay had the clips and installed just fine about four years ago. Seem to be a bit stronger than the originals.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:50 PM
08 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
... but it’s not obvious how to replace them, and accessing the bottom end of them seems difficult...
Correct on both counts. The lower attachment point requires a fair amount of fiddling to figure out. Be very, very careful not to get your fingers into places where they can be damaged. Someone should make a video, once you know how to do it it's not hard. I don't remember how it's done except I do remember it didn't take any unusual tools.

Edit: And make sure the new struts are the same length (center to center) as the originals. See my other thread:
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/1...djustment.html

Last edited by dxG6; 08-08-2019 at 04:53 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 03:56 PM
2008 G6 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Well, I ordered two new trunk shocks and went to put them on my 2008 GT convertible, but it’s not obvious how to replace them, and accessing the bottom end of them seems difficult. I have a service manual (whether it’s complete or not is beyond me) but couldn’t seem to find directions.

Do I just take a pry bar and pop them off, then squeeze the new ones on? I gently pried (with a trim popper, see photo), but I didn’t want to put that much pressure on the hardtop’s trunk arms.
Where did you order the shocks from? I put an order in last month (forget where) and they were out of stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > HOW-TO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in