Pontiac G6 Forum banner

How do I install new trunk shocks?

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Convertme 
#1 ·
Well, I ordered two new trunk shocks and went to put them on my 2008 GT convertible, but it’s not obvious how to replace them, and accessing the bottom end of them seems difficult. I have a service manual (whether it’s complete or not is beyond me) but couldn’t seem to find directions.

Do I just take a pry bar and pop them off, then squeeze the new ones on? I gently pried (with a trim popper, see photo), but I didn’t want to put that much pressure on the hardtop’s trunk arms.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a black clip that you can just see to the right of the pry bar you are holding. It is semi-circular and has a small gap that you can get a screwdriver in. You can either pull it out enough to release the ball joint where you have the pry bar or you can push / shimmy it up and out of the way and the support will just lift off. Same clip is on the bottom and you are right that it is hard to get to. Personally I found it easier to slowly lift / shimmy them towards the end of the strut. It is sitting in a slot that is open to the top and bottom. Hope that makes sense.

Attachments

#3 ·
Thank you! I did notice the clip on the current shocks. I'll try working at that clip tomorrow.

The new parts (listed as compatible with the old part number) don't have a clip or a place to put one, though. Hopefully they just push into place.

#6 · (Edited)
... but it’s not obvious how to replace them, and accessing the bottom end of them seems difficult...
Correct on both counts. The lower attachment point requires a fair amount of fiddling to figure out. Be very, very careful not to get your fingers into places where they can be damaged. Someone should make a video, once you know how to do it it's not hard. I don't remember how it's done except I do remember it didn't take any unusual tools.

Edit: And make sure the new struts are the same length (center to center) as the originals. See my other thread:
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/12-problems-solutions/50637-convertible-trunk-lid-adjustment.html

#11 ·
Just finished the trunk shock install. Went well. About 1/2 hour. Lost both bottom clips on the old shocks (L and R) during removal, so hope they don’t rattle. The replacement shocks seemed to be the exact length of the OEMS. Top still works. Trunk is now harder to open so it stays in the up position much better, in 70 degree F weather. Hope it works as well in 20 degrees F.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.