Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Running 12v to Courtesy light

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  hamptonbeach 
#1 ·
Hello!

I received a new Echo Auto for my car and it looks like the perfect spot for it is up by my courtesy lights in the front. I thought I'd could pull 12v from the panel with the lights as they are 12v and hook up my 5v adapter behind it as there is plenty of room.

I can't tell what wires are what. I probed the plug for the lights which are 12v (orange and black), but they obviously turn off when I shut the doors.

Here's a picture behind it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Get your 12v from behind the light switch, not the lights.
But unless you've changed the factory radio to one that supports bluetooth (as I'm pretty sure none the OEM radios do), you'll need to use an aux cable to connect it to the speakers, so wouldn't you rather mount it near the cigar lighter so the aux cable will be mostly out of sight?

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. With the Echo Dot, I don't need any wires other than a standard 5v microusb cord. I have a Bluetooth to RF adapter that I connect with. It came with a vent mount but it doesn't work with the round style vents. I've tried it for a few days in this spot, and just plugged it into the 12v down by the console and let the wire hang. The device works best for everyone in the car if it's mounted high and in the center. where I'm mounting it. Otherwise there aren't any flat surfaces to convenience spots for it to work. There's a spot in the center on the dash, but with Minnesota's new hands free law my phone is there the whole time I'm driving.

I'd hide the 12v to 5v adapter up inside and just have the end of the cord stick out from between the light assembly and the headliner, there would only be 2" of cord and it would always be plugged in.

I've fit the 12v to 5v adapter and usb wire up there so I guess my only problem now is I don't know the best way to run more wires up to this area? Does the headliner pop loose or do I need to fish wires in from one side of the other? I would assume the wires are tucked behind the trim on one side of the windshield.

#4 ·
I have a convertible and the power top switch is up there with the dome lights. I think its a silly place for the switch holding your hand up in the air while you are operating the top, so I was going to relocate it. Couldn't figure where the wires end up behind the dash and it looked impossible to feed something up without lot of effort.
Sorry I wasn't more help, good luck to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.