Pontiac G6 Forum banner

"Service Position" for the convertible top...

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  1of4885 
#1 · (Edited)
A common question asked by convertible owners is how to access and repair the “bat wings” and their operating cables (among other things). Beyond this, pretty much all top maintenance on the convertibles is complicated by the limited access of most of the componentry as it’s difficult to reach with the top either fully up or down. Add to this the fact that the hydraulic system won’t hold the top mid-cycle for more than few minutes with the ignition off and you’ve identified a significant frustration in servicing the convertibles.

Early on in my ownership, I bought a DVD with the GM technician service documentation for the G6. It contains procedures and information convertible owners (especially) will find nowhere else. For example, when searching for a way to access the “bat wings” (or “closeout panels” per GM) the first step I found was a procedure for putting the top in the “Service Position”. This basically involves opening the top just past mid-cycle (where the trunk is fully open and the “closeout panels” are up) and installing a “special tool” to hold the top in that position so it won’t fall once the hydraulic pressure is gone.

The tool specified is “BO-48120 Top Restraining Strap”. I read the procedure and thought it was something I could do. I searched eBay and found a few of these available. (A couple were allegedly sourced from closed dealerships. I’m sure every dealer had one at one time.) I bought one and when it arrived, the package had some “toolbox wear” but the straps themselves appeared unused. What it consists of is a pair of web-fabric straps with loops sewn on each end.

Per the procedure, the top is first opened until it’s just over center and the “closeout panels” are up. Then, the straps are wrapped over the upper rails on the rear of the top (both sides) and brought around the side rail which connects just aft of the top center. Here the loops are brought around the rail and are hooked on the striker. Once secured, you can turn off the ignition and perform the service you need. I tried this with the straps I bought and it does work. Though the straps don’t seem terribly robust, they did hold the top securely. So for what it’s worth, this appears to be a viable method to hold the top mid-cycle up for a length of time for service. (Someone once asked if he could hold the top half-open when putting his car on display and I and others advised him not to. But, It looks like this could be done with the top in the “Service Position”. I'd advise extreme care, however.)

There are a few of this tool (BO-48120) on eBay (today) if anyone is interested, but there’s nothing magical about them and they could be easily fabricated with a little sturdy material and some sewing know how. I can measure and be more detailed about them if requested.

I’ve attached pics of the package I bought and the straps. There are also a couple of pics of the straps in position and pics of the procedure from the GM documentation DVD.

Good luck and take care. - Mark

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
A common question asked by convertible owners is how to access and repair the “bat wings” and their operating cables (among other things). Beyond this, pretty much all top maintenance on the convertibles is complicated by the limited access of most of the componentry as it’s difficult to reach with the top either fully up or down. Add to this the fact that the hydraulic system won’t hold the top mid-cycle for more than few minutes with the ignition off and you’ve identified a significant frustration in servicing the convertibles.

Early on in my ownership, I bought a DVD with the GM technician service documentation for the G6. It contains procedures and information convertible owners (especially) will find nowhere else. For example, when searching for a way to access the “bat wings” (or “closeout panels” per GM) the first step I found was a procedure for putting the top in the “Service Position”. This basically involves opening the top just past mid-cycle (where the trunk is fully open and the “closeout panels” are up) and installing a “special tool” to hold the top in that position so it won’t fall once the hydraulic pressure is gone.

The tool specified is “BO-48120 Top Restraining Strap”. I read the procedure and thought it was something I could do. I searched eBay and found a few of these available. (A couple were allegedly sourced from closed dealerships. I’m sure every dealer had one at one time.) I bought one and when it arrived, the package had some “toolbox wear” but the straps themselves appeared unused. What it consists of is a pair of web-fabric straps with loops sewn on each end.

Per the procedure, the top is first opened until it’s just over center and the “closeout panels” are up. Then, the straps are wrapped over the upper rails on the rear of the top (both sides) and brought around the side rail which connects just aft of the top center. Here the loops are brought around the rail and are hooked on the striker. Once secured, you can turn off the ignition and perform the service you need. I tried this with the straps I bought and it does work. Though the straps don’t seem terribly robust, they did hold the top securely. So for what it’s worth, this appears to be a viable method to hold the top mid-cycle up for a length of time for service. (Someone once asked if he could hold the top half-open when putting his car on display and I and others advised him not to. But, It looks like this could be done with the top in the “Service Position”. I'd advise extreme care, however.)

There are a few of this tool (BO-48120) on eBay (today) if anyone is interested, but there’s nothing magical about them and they could be easily fabricated with a little sturdy material and some sewing know how. I can measure and be more detailed about them if requested.

I’ve attached pics of the package I bought and the straps. There are also a couple of pics of the straps in position and pics of the procedure from the GM documentation DVD.

Great Info Mark..
Thank You..

#5 ·

Thanks for that info. Would you be able to send exact specific strap lengths & hoop lengths.. Please? Id much rather make a heavier duty set myself

#8 ·
Sorry for the terrible misspelling of "town". Can't imagine why I didn't proofread it better...

The OEM straps I bought are made from a piece of webbing 39 1/2" long, with 3" folded over at each end for the "loop" (leaving the finished length at 33 1/2"). The loops are each sewn for 1 1/2", leaving the actual useable loop at 1 1/2".

I did a quick search of eBay and didn't find any of these listed. Guess they've all been bought up. Good luck and take care. - Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.