Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Front Door Panel Removal

70K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Wavephaze 
#1 ·
Ok. So i posted this exact How-To on G6Performance, but i decided to post it here as well, as i've see it been asked a few times on here so i thought i'd make it easier for people to find. Especially if they are a member of G6P.

Tools Needed:

Flathead screwdriver (the pointier the end the better)
T30 torx wrench

Removing the panel:

Before the panel can be removed you must start by removing the bolts holding it on.

Begin by locating the black rubber square in the pocket on the arm rest

To remove it wedge a flathead screwdriver under it and pop it up

Undo the 2 T30 Torx bolts holding the control panel down.

Next is to remove the control panel. To do so, pry it up with a flathead.

Once its up, undo the 3 connections and put it somewhere.

Next pry open the cap in the door handle cubby (if someone can post a way to not break it that would be great)

Remove the T30 torx bolt behind it.

Next remove the button thing on the side of the door panel.

To remove it, push inward on the inner circle and pry it off with a flathead

See less See more
#2 ·
To undo the bottom portion of the panel, start by pushing the flathead behind the panel

Pull the screwdriver away from the door to release the pin. Do this along the bottom of the whole panel until all nine pins have been released.

Finally before you can remove the panel. Stick the flathead behind the piece holding the tweeter and pop the pressure clip loose.

To lift the panel off put your hands on the side off the panel and pull the bottom away from the door. Then lift up, releasing the panel from the channel at the top of the door. Lift it over the top of the lock pole thing.

The latch cable will need to be removed next. It is simply held on by a clip.

Once the cable is released the final thing to do is disconnect the final remaining connections.

Once the connections are disconnected the panel can be completely removed.

Doing the passenger side door is basically the same. The only difference is that the bolts are in different locations and there are only 2 connections

One of the bolts is in the door handle pocket, just like the drivers side

Once again i managed to snap the little cover off again:|

To locate the other 2 bolts, you need to remove the metallic grey trim. Begin by sticking the flathead in the side of it

Pry along the edges until you can pull it off

#3 ·
The 2 bolts will be located under neath. Remove each of the 2 T30 torx bolts.

Just like the driver side, you next need to undo all the clips along the bottom of the panel as well as the little button thing on the side and the pressure clip by the tweeter. Lift it up to release it from the channel and disconnect the cable and the connections.

When putting it all back together, just reverse what you did and it should go back together no problem. Just make sure (this took me awhile to figure out) that when you put the button thing in that you make sure the inner circle is popped out

Insert it with it popped out and then push the inner circle in.

If there is anything i missed or anything i should add, let me know and i will do so. As well if something should be worded differently let me know.

#4 ·
Some great info! Thank's a lot for this How-To!

#5 ·
hey, in your driver door what is that black box? amp? and also, thanks for the how 2 ill need to remember this. a tutorial on how to do door speakers would be cool also.

#7 ·
Well right now they are the stock setup but id probably do the rear 6x9s first...but ive looked and they dont come out through the top or the bottom so i assume i need to pull something up... (the right speaker is blown...ive just been avoiding it...Also, do you know if the bass from my trunk has anything to do with my blown 6x9 (like the vibration or the air in the trunk?
sorry for all this But i do appreciate the how 2 i was wonderin about it

#8 ·
for the door handle cubby cover if you pry it with a small screwdriver on the flat endge of faceing towards the front end of the car then you can pry the tab open and move it out of the way this is not intended to come off but will swing out of the way. if you pry from the oppisite side then you end up breaking the plastic swing arm

#9 ·
Could you guys confirm that the plastic tab is supposed to fold open towards the flat edge? (as shown with the arrow in the pic)

I'm going to try very hard not to break these suckers when I open the doors up very soon ;)

Thanks!!

Attachments

#11 ·
need help i changed my passenger side door speaker on 05 g6 i followed ur steps it went will but wen i had to put the pannel back on i did every thing exactly the same i made sure every thing was lined up but the part where the pin is http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/4954879011_917a7556b9_b.jpg / the pannel is still sticking out a lil even tho the pin is in i don't kno if any thing is keeping it from closeing firmly i checked like 5times. if any body knos wat the problem let me kno plzz

#17 ·
it looks like the top part of your door panel and not aligned along the window part. You would have to remove the panel and start from the top, it kinda hooks on the top and then your can push the rest of the panel more closer to the door. Once that is done that pin will push in properly.

Look at your first pic posted, there is a gap on the top part near the window.

#19 ·
Pull the panel right off, but leave the electrical connections plugged in.

Look at the top where the panel goes in and you will see the groove it hooks into.

Put the lock antenna in its hole. Then, push the top of the panel, against the window and slide it down onto the groove beside the window, you should be able to tell when its in the groove. Once its in, the door will go back together properly.

#20 · (Edited)
Do what Dmanj said..Have the lock antenna in the door panel hole already. Dont let the door panel hang on the lock antenna, make sure your holding it. Start from the top, push it against the door. You might have to push quite hard, and then push it downwards. It should be seated properly after that. I have attached a pic of it.

#22 ·
Any experience exposing the window. It seems like whatever contact point in the front portion of the window has either dislodged or broken so the window does not seat correctly because the window is "leaning" forward. I'm thinking once I get past the sound barrier I will see window? Correct?

#25 ·
Seems like a pretty easy fix to me, is it fixed yet? lol As everybody else said- the top isn't seated correctly. Also, your pin on this side doesn't look like it's in correctly either, it's pushed in, it should be flush. Make sure that pin is correctly aligned in the hole it's supposed to go in and not before the bracket. Also, make sure the screws that go in the center of the door handles are attached correctly, don't put any screws or pins into place until the door is seated correctly and flush with the door. if it's not flush, screwing it won't correct it. Just look at your other doors- shouldn't be to hard to fix.

#27 ·
took it too the audio shop i bougth the spekers from they took it off and were in the same postion i was in they said the panel is bent (its winter rite now in canada ) they were able to get it in a little better than it was before they could not find any otther problems that was keeping it from sitting flush im just going to wait till it gets warmer too do the other side

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.