Steering wheel radio controls - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Steering wheel radio controls

I currently have 4 sets of steering wheel controls. $45/set shipped for 07-09's, $55/set shipped for 09.5-10

Will add the part numbers for each group later. I believe at least 1 set is out of a Malibu, so it won't have red backlighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Because the question was asked, I'll explain a bit more.

If you have a 3 spoke steering wheel with cruise, these buttons *may* allow you to have partial or full steering wheel radio controls.

- They should physically fit into the steering wheel.
- The Volume button should work out of the box.
- The other button should work, and provide a function, but it might not be the intended function of the button. (this is what mine do)
- There is an article on this or another G6 site that takes about adding these in using the Tech 2 at a dealer to make it work correctly. (I asked a dealer to try it, but I don't think they understood, so it never happened. going to try again soon.)

Background: The steering wheel controls work by sending a specific resistance value on the line for each button, which gets interpreted as the function by the receiver (radio in this case.) Unfortunately, GM only kept the resistance values of the Volume buttons the same when they switched from the 4 spoke to 3 spoke steering wheel. I believe this was in 2006. However, some components, such as the radio, did not get updated if they did not have to for things like the radio controls if it was not chosen as an option. In my case, I have an 07, but it seems the radio believes the values are those of a 4 spoke wheel. So this is why your mileage may vary.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Trading Post > Items for Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in