GP carbon fiber hood - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
ultimate lurker

GP carbon fiber hood

Hello all.

I am talking with two companies right now about carbon fiber hoods. The rest is in standstill until I can get some info from the rest of us. The two companies are seibon and carbon creations

carbon creations has not gotten back to me about a custom hood yet. I have only mentioned reverse cowl hoods so far. If anyone has any suggestions now is the time. I do need 20 people who are def. going to buy one the more the merry. Both companies are world renowned when it comes to carbon and they are not knock offs.

I have seen GPs for this sort of product range from $275 to $500 depending on the type of carbon fiber requested. such as wet and dry and all that. all these questions for you can be answered on seibons site which is www.seibon.com and www.carbon-creations.com
im going to start a list now so we can see whos in and whos not and keep in mind it may take sometime depending on how many ppl we get to request it. so reply here or PM me to add u to the list.

The list is for seibon, carbon creations has not replied with a GP standard yet, im sure its the same...99% of them are atleast 20-25.

I know all of us do not check the site too often neither so if you wish to be contacted VIA email when things are rolling and close to purchase time you will be contacted to give time for $$$ saving, not everyone is rich.

1 Spoolinturbo

Jeff

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...725_2_full.jpg
2005 G6 GT
1990 BMW 535i

USAF F/A-22 raptor crewchief
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Weller
I'm not interested, but I'm curious why you'd want a carbon fiber hood on a front wheel drive car? If you're just looking for a different style of hood, MPD, Inc. makes one. http://www.mpd-inc.net/PontiacG6.htm It's a company here in Indiana. They've used at least two of my friend's cars to make the prototypes. The Regal and Impala hoods are very nicely done.

2006 G6 GTP Coupe
6-speed Crimson Red
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
ultimate lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weller
I'm not interested, but I'm curious why you'd want a carbon fiber hood on a front wheel drive car? If you're just looking for a different style of hood, MPD, Inc. makes one. http://www.mpd-inc.net/PontiacG6.htm It's a company here in Indiana. They've used at least two of my friend's cars to make the prototypes. The Regal and Impala hoods are very nicely done.
yea but thats ugly in my opinion. And reduced weight is always a benefit regaurdless of which wheels are receiving power, and can assist in giving it a better weight distribution after future weight savings for track events. That and just a better look. I like carbon fiber look. Im not going to go crazy with it but the hood is generally the best part to do.
jeff

2005 G6 GT
1990 BMW 535i

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 06:44 AM

Carbon fiber hood? UGLY!!! The ram air hood would look the best!!! Just my .02
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Old Fart, Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explr1
Carbon fiber hood? UGLY!!! The ram air hood would look the best!!! Just my .02
yep! i'm with you on that one. Ram Air is the way to go for ME!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:14 AM

and given the fact the ram air hood costs around $700, I can only imagine what the CF one will cost if not bought in a group buy.

Mike
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 03:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Weller
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinturbo
yea but thats ugly in my opinion. And reduced weight is always a benefit regaurdless of which wheels are receiving power, and can assist in giving it a better weight distribution after future weight savings for track events. That and just a better look. I like carbon fiber look. Im not going to go crazy with it but the hood is generally the best part to do.
jeff
I don't care for that hood either, but I thought I'd make sure you knew there were options out there. I'm not knocking the look of carbon fiber. There's a MR2 I walk by every day that looks like it was in the Fast and Furious movie. I wouldn't own it, but I think it looks cool.
I disagree that reduced weight is always a benefit, although, I guess it depends on what kind of racing you're into. Street racing and 1/4 mile strip, you'd want as much of the car's weight over the drive wheels as possible. Think of a pickup truck with an empty bed. They have a hard time jumping off a line. Now AutoX is another story, but I'm not convinced the G6 was designed for that kind of performance. That's all I was trying to say.

2006 G6 GTP Coupe
6-speed Crimson Red
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
ultimate lurker

blah GP cancelled then. Dual scoops arent my cup of tea. I am planning on autoX this car. I will have a custom one made eventually then.
jeff

2005 G6 GT
1990 BMW 535i

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:04 PM

a lighter car has a better power to weight ratio. taking weight off the front wheels won't make a huge difference when the engine is over them anyways.

and you guys do realize that CF can be painted...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to SimplyRed
A fiberglass hood is going to weight at most 3-5 lbs more than a carbon fiber one, so does it make that much of a difference... nope! Second, this G6 as sporty as it looks to me was not meant to be a "race" car, sure it might be quick but it's not going to run 10's. The number one mistake I saw people do during my "import scene" time were these people who took seemingly beautiful cars and made them ugly. Shopping cart handle spoilers, coffee can mufflers, racing stripes and countless other worthless addons! Carbon fiber while surving a purpose in weight reduction to me is useless and a waste of probably a grand, think of what that grand could do to really help you down the track, as in lowerin springs, coilovers and a kick ass set of tires are going to help you more than dropping 12lbs of weight! If you want to drop some real weight and gain power, loose leather (weighs more than cloth), A/C even if its not on drains power, as well as power steering (the 2 brackets for those prolly weight in at 10+ lbs)... I would be willing to bet that your backseats weight in heavier than 25lbs! This is all IMO though!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyRed
A fiberglass hood is going to weight at most 3-5 lbs more than a carbon fiber one, so does it make that much of a difference... nope! Second, this G6 as sporty as it looks to me was not meant to be a "race" car, sure it might be quick but it's not going to run 10's. The number one mistake I saw people do during my "import scene" time were these people who took seemingly beautiful cars and made them ugly. Shopping cart handle spoilers, coffee can mufflers, racing stripes and countless other worthless addons! Carbon fiber while surving a purpose in weight reduction to me is useless and a waste of probably a grand, think of what that grand could do to really help you down the track, as in lowerin springs, coilovers and a kick ass set of tires are going to help you more than dropping 12lbs of weight! If you want to drop some real weight and gain power, loose leather (weighs more than cloth), A/C even if its not on drains power, as well as power steering (the 2 brackets for those prolly weight in at 10+ lbs)... I would be willing to bet that your backseats weight in heavier than 25lbs! This is all IMO though!
all true, but a C/F hood will also help with gas mileage, and some people like the looks. granted a fiberglass hood will drop some weight as well to help with gas mileage, but again, it's preference for some.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:43 PM

Oh yeah, definatly goes by preference... I thought about a c/f hood when the post was first made, but I just didnt really see it going good with the car. Maybe if it was painted to not inturrupt the fluidness of the car, but who knows LOL! When I look at the G6 it all just flows together (minus the body molding haha) but when I thought about a c/f hood going on the material just didnt seem to mesh with the car in my eyes would have stood out a little to much...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
ultimate lurker

thats why its all by personal preference I think it would look good which is the number one reason why I would buy it. and of course the performance benefits are very minimal, fractional at best.
And you cannot remove P/S on this vehicle sorry.
removing A/C is like 1HP and not worth sweating a$$ in the car. interior now-a-days do not weigh that much, be lucky to save 75lbs with all of it.
if you want weight savings your going to have to take out all your sound deadening material that alone is probably 100lbs. throughout the whole vehicle. replacing your glass for plexiglass.

so your best bang for buck is the southbeach diet
jeff

2005 G6 GT
1990 BMW 535i

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:11 PM

definatly all true on the dampening materials!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Sam_Adams

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...d&N=0&uts=true

At this website they offer 2 carbon hoods, they dont have pics up, i bought the one that is offered for 873. I talked them down to 700 since they dont have a pic up and i told them if i dont like it im sending it back, they said it wasnt a problem since they didnt have a pic up. if u would like i will post the pics of the hood when i get it in. i ordered today, and they said 4-7 business days. I just joined today, and prolly wont get on much if u want email me at [email protected], and just put title as carbon hood, and ill send u a pic when i get it in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Trading Post > G6OC Group Buys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in