Truth can be stranger than fiction - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Truth can be stranger than fiction

Whilst away on business my wife let me know there had been a problem with my car. During a heavy hail storm my car had been damaged. Nothing unusual so far you may think, but the car was in the garage at the time! Coincidence or not, a fluorescent light fixture fell on my car. At first it appeared that there was little damage and a huge sigh of relief was let out by all. The next morning my daughter informs my wife that she thinks the rear windscreen is broken. Sure enough I return home and yes, I have a spiderweb where the rear glass should be, held together by window tint...

I own a hard top convertible so I know that sourcing glass, like many other parts, is going to be a problem. I call the dealership, and as expected, no glass available anywhere. They give me a glass company that has been known to hold stock, for a day they say they have it but will not fit it (they do not touch convertibles). Later they call back and say that they were mistaken about having the glass. They in turn recommend calling breaker's yards. So as of today I am hopeful that I have found a place with the correct glass. The breaker still needs to remove said piece of glass without damaging it. So I am waiting to hear on the glass and have found someone who believes they can fit it. Their shop howto states it is a 4 - 4.5 hour job to replace.

Fingers crossed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearGlass001.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	11122   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearGlass002.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	11130  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 08:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
That sucks..

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Indeed. Well the breaker managed to get the glass out in one piece. Having used clear gaffer tape with abandon, the remnants seem secure. The top has gone down and up without the window falling out. With that I am off to Virginia tomorrow to see if the glass company can fit it. Hope to have a whole car again tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 08:57 AM
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
Coincidence or not, a fluorescent light fixture fell on my car.
It looks like the light fixture was not securely fixed to the ceiling. I'd be wanting a piece of that electrician !! But it's probably way too late now - how old is your house?

Doug

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

I have owned the house for 3 years and the house itself is closer to 20. Rest assured that the replacement will much stronger.

Glass replaced now. All seems ok. To be fair the breaker + fitter costs were less than the new glass that they quoted for but could not find. Got to leave it a day before I drive with the windows or top down, but I am hopefull that it is all good.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:29 PM
08 convertible

Since we re-opened an old thread, question for boomer: What is it about the rear window in the convertible that's different from other fixed glass installations? It would seem to me it's no different than a windshield replacement.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

I would say it is similar. Being in the rear, air pressure could blow the glass out rather than push it in at speed. Same with the top down, the weight of the glass could pull it out. Other than that I would guess the top and sides secure in the same way. Only the lower portion of the fitment seemed somewhat different as the rubber like trim pushes onto the glass and seals against the trunk.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:48 AM

Garage
Will add just another story to the cars provenance!
What what!!!
Jat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Off-Topic > Off-Topics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in