Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Looking for help identifying a part

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jayram1408 
#1 ·
Hello G6 owners! Long time no post. I've got a bunch of projects I need to do on my G6, but one has become a problem and i need to take care of it sooner than later.

The plastic backing on my drivers side seat (the part on the back with the mesh storage that my kids kick all day) has come loose. Initially i thought that I simply needed to pull that panel off and replace the white clips (which one is visibly broken), but on further investigation it may be more than that. I can't take it off right now because I still take the kids in the car, but it seems that the lower part of that entire panel may be busted. On the bottom of the seat I can see a hole for a clip, but no clip or mounting point for a clip on the panel. I'm guessing that it came loose at some point, got knocked around a bunch and the part where the clip would be broke off.

Also, I noticed that if I am going to try to take that panel off myself at some point, I'm getting dangerously close to a side impact airbag area and that worries my very inexperienced hands. I've taken my front door panels off to do speakers in the past, but that is about the extent of my interior panel work.

-Does anyone know what the part # for those clips are?
-Does anyone know a part # or how/where I could get the entire back piece (assuming mine is broken).
-Should I be concerned doing this so close to an airbag and let a dealer do it?

My baby is a 2009, VIN 1G2ZG57NX941591. Anyone have experience with this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Get your part #s and parts from your local dealer, or one of the online GM dealer websites. They have the same catalogue I use to use. You should be able to see more of the part there, sometimes you can Google the part # as a help too.
I thought that the bottom of the back covers had a moulded hook, but I could be wrong.
Airbag: don't fret. Don't work around that system with the ignition on, let it sit 5 minutes after turn off before working on it, or if you want to be super careful, you can disconnect the yellow harness beneath the seat. Yellow harnesses are SRS. In all reality, the airbags aren't that flaky, your big concern is to not push power across that harness in a short situation, which won't happen with key off.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
That is how mine started as well, just the upper inside corner. Depending how far gone the clip is, it can stay in for 10 minutes or 10 seconds I'm guessing.

I would take the panel off and dive right in, but I do need to pickup my kids everyday and I dont want my 2 year old kicking whatever is behind that panel, so I'm trying to see if I can find someone who's done this before.

Maybe its only 2 clips and hooks on bottom? I'm unsure what I'm looking at :/

#7 ·
OK...i just needed to keep searching with different various of 'back' and 'seat' and 'cover' and I finally found a pic to exactly illustrate (and added some red dots to illustrate the clip areas?)

See the attached pic. That plastic mold piece with the netting is the culprit. As I said, the upper inside clip is completely destroyed, and the lower inside area is loose (missing clip? hook? no idea?). The upper left side clip is still attached, and lower left side seems attached but I didn't pull too hard.

NOTE: The picture shown does not have a side impact airbag on the side of the chair, while mine does.

You can see behind that panel when you pull it back a bunch of foam, fabric, and metal mesh that as I previously said I dont want my 2YR old kicking.

I have to imagine that this is a common thing to happen, and I'm hoping someone here has done this and can give me some suggestions! Trying very hard to not just go to the dealer and say "fix it" for $500.

#9 · (Edited)
Just needs a little research to find a picture.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163040962633

Flip through the pictures to get to the backside.
The top clips wear out from leaning over the corner of the seat, the back flexing and the thin leaves of the clip wear out.
The bottom hooks, brittle plastic over time, unintentional abuse, ?
Salvage, eBay or even I hate to say it, a well placed sheet metal screw can be the answer to broken hooks.
The top clip is something you can match up or go Dealer, whichever.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Good call, can clearly see from that picture it has hooks on the bottom. My hook is clearly busted then, as the bottom parts is just as loose as the top where it clips.

So now i get to try to find that part from a scraper, in the right color.....or go with machine screws as you suggested.......hmmm

#11 ·
Disconnect the negative battery cable for at least 10 minutes. The airbag module has capacitors that store energy for up to 10 minutes, and the air bags can be set off with the key out and ignition off. If one air bag goes off, multiple airbags will. Do not risk it, just disconnect the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.