Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Wipers broke!!! uhgggg

51K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  VanBillSing 
#1 ·
my wife got up this morning to start her 05 g6 and it was a little frosty on the windshield. She turned them on and nothing happend so she figured wiper frose. They werent and still wouldnt work. I told her to not use them untill car was hot. Still no go. I looked at it tonight and the motor is running so i took the whole assembly out and found that there are ball joint like things that attach the motor to the assembly. The rod has a plastic insert in in that goes over metal ball joint on gear box to motor. It was broken and wouldnt stay on. Does anyone know where I can get the assembly rod or maybe you just change the insert out. I even thought of just drilling it out and putting a bolt in it to hold it together. Would last longer than that stupic ball joint set up. Let me know what you all think.

#3 ·
ok i figured out what its called and had to order it from dealer. its the wiper transmission and you have to buy the whole assembly. not just the linkage i need. Now can anyone tell me how to get the wiper arms off. I pried and pried on them and no luck. i removed the retaining nut. Im thinking of trying a small gear puller.

#5 ·
they are a since to get off with a gear puller. I used a 3" gear puller i beleive. they popped right off. they make a tool to get them off which is called a wiper arm removal tool, but it cost like 30 dollars and all it is is a small gear puller. I hope this helps. I got it fixed.

#7 ·
Same problem just happened to me... '06, 62k. Took it in and they showed me a diagram of the part. The guy explained to me that the plastic joint was worn. Then explained that the whole assembly needs to be purchased. Quote including labor, parts, diagnostic: $268. Wish I had the ability to do it myself as I priced the part online and it ranges between $35-$55

#10 · (Edited)
ughh same thing happen to me took it all apart and that little plastic part that slips over the ball joint on the wiper motor was worn to the point where i would put it on and it would pop right back off. So where did you guys get the replacement part? did you get the whole assembly from GM? Really bugging me that i would need to buy the whole assembly for one little worn plastic part!

#16 ·
That is the wiper assembly. I guess i need to buy all of the Transmission (number 8, in picture) It cost $73.65. Seems like a lot for a piece of plastic!
Do you have a part # for that? I called GM and they said it was like $136.00 and that was with no motor not that i need a motor but they made it seem like that was the only option and it was $136.00 for the same part you guys seem to be talking about.

#13 ·
Wipers went out!!

So, here I am, driving to work in this wonderful T-Storm on Interstate 64, and what happens...the wipers go out. I nearly caused a 50-car pileup because of my lack-o-vision so now I am wondering if it is easy to fix myself or how much it would cost to fix this on my 05' G6. I hear the motor running but no movement...seems like the arms have detached or something. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#14 ·
I have an 05, 70k, and it just happened to me yesterday...during a T-storm...on the Interstate...I nearly caused a 50 car pileup! So, if you know someone who knows how to install them then I would just take $50 and buy a new one and install it. Trust me, it is a pretty frighting experience going 70mph during a bad storm and your wipers go out.

#22 ·
Wiper Transmission replaced

Got my used wiper transmission replacement yesterday. Replaced the broken one this morning in about 45 minutes. Here are the steps I took:

1 Remove wiper arms.
2 Open hood and prop it open.
3 Prop up plastic covering windshield wiper mechanism.
4 Unhook electrical connector from wiper motor.
5 Remove 3 bolts holding wiper mechanism and pull out the whole thing.
6 Unscrew the 2 bolt that hold the transmission to the motor.
7 Bolt the replacement transmission to the motor.
8 Push the bushing end of the transmission onto the knob on the motor until it snaps in place.
8 Slide the whole mechanism back into place.
9 Screw the 3 bolts holding the mechanism to the body back in.
10 Reattach the electrical connector.
11 Turn on the car and turn on the wipers to see that the mechanism works.
12 Put the plastic covering back down.
13 Close hood.
14 Reattach the wipers and you are good to go.

Have to replace the passenger side front hub bearing tomorrow!

Good luck!

#25 ·
Got my used wiper transmission replacement yesterday. Replaced the broken one this morning in about 45 minutes. Here are the steps I took:

1 Remove wiper arms.
2 Open hood and prop it open.
3 Prop up plastic covering windshield wiper mechanism.
4 Unhook electrical connector from wiper motor.
5 Remove 3 bolts holding wiper mechanism and pull out the whole thing.
6 Unscrew the 2 bolt that hold the transmission to the motor.
7 Bolt the replacement transmission to the motor.
8 Push the bushing end of the transmission onto the knob on the motor until it snaps in place.
8 Slide the whole mechanism back into place.
9 Screw the 3 bolts holding the mechanism to the body back in.
10 Reattach the electrical connector.
11 Turn on the car and turn on the wipers to see that the mechanism works.
12 Put the plastic covering back down.
13 Close hood.
14 Reattach the wipers and you are good to go.

Have to replace the passenger side front hub bearing tomorrow!

Good luck!
You definitely have all the steps well documented there for the wiper trans. replacement.

I just changed my passenger side front hub bearing last week. You might want to check out your tie-rod end while you have it all apart. Mine is starting to go so I picked a new one at AutoZone yesterday for $35.

The hub bearing is not too bad. Separating the hub was the hardest part. Had to use an air hammer for that. A steel hub bolted onto an aluminum spindle was very poor engineering. They tend to corrode themselves together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.