Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Ignition Key Programing

20K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  BJ Deal 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any luck programming an ignition key themselves?

Here's my current dilemma:
- 2008 G6
- No visible chip in key
- Bought with only 1 original key & FOB
- Made a copy of original key at home depot, with a plain, metal key.
- Lost original key (&FOB)
- Copied key opens the door and turns aux power on, but does not start ignition, the 'security' symbol shows on the dash
- Tried to 'program' the copied, plain metal key a few different times (i.e: 10 min turned on 3Xs), with no luck. The security light never goes off even if i leave it in for more than 10 min
- Ordered a 'Pontiac' key (&FOB) off of Amazon (has good reviews that it has worked)

So now my question is - can I get the new blank 'Pontiac' key cut at a regular locksmith using the plain, metal, un-programmed key, then program the Pontiac Key myself?

I found a service (KeyMe) that says they will come to my house and do everything for $100-$200, but I would really like to save that money if I can! Please HELP! :crying:

See less See more
#6 ·
Oh you can take your old sensor or even another one from say the junkyard and cut that black plastic in half, the same direction as the key being careful not to damage the chip. It's in there in the middle. Take off your column cover and super glue it (the chip) right below as close as possible to the lock tumbler assembly. Your car can now have 3 dollar keys without chips, the drawback, your car can now be stolen. They will tell you at home depot you need it programmed, tell then no, just match it up to a GM blank without a chip and cut it. They will with some reluctance. But it works. All that chip is a RFID device. The antenna loops around the Ignition switch, as long as the chip is close enough for the antenna to pick it up, it will start.

Attachments

#8 ·
Walmart now has "chip" keys and can cut the blank to fit the locks. They do this by a pattern making device from a good key, NOT just the old style "follower" of hardware store and such key machines. There is a youtube video of how to program a replacement key..IF you have 1 working original key. I've posted of this in my threads, and doesn't even take 5 minutes effort to do.
The fob does take a CAN capable scanner to program the remote fob.

#9 ·
They do this by a pattern making device from a good key, NOT just the old style "follower" of hardware store and such key machines.
I had keys cut 40+ years ago using a device which cut the intended pattern rather than tracing the old, worn key. For each tooth, there are only a few possible depths they can be cut, with an integer assigned for the depth, in the range 1-5 (or maybe 1-6 or 1-7). The locksmith would enter a number into his machine for each of the teeth to be cut, and then step it thru the process.

The result was a fresh cut key with all the teeth of correct size and position. It had a much better chance of working properly when inserted into the keyhole.

In recent years, I've had keys cut that barely worked, and wondered why such a better technique, having been around for decades, had not become more common. But reading this post, it sounds like the industry may finally be coming around.

Doug

#10 ·
Open door, insert new key. Turn to the run position (do not attempt to start) turn the radio, climate control, ect.. all off. set a timer for 10 minutes. After ten minutes, turn off the ignition, do not remove the key, wait at least 5 seconds but less then 10 seconds in the off position. Turn to run position again for 10 minutes. repeat this 3 times total. On the 3rd time wait the 5 seconds, then start it. Programmed. For key fobs get in car. Close door. Insert key, do NOT turn it. hold down the electric lock/unlock button, hold it in the unlock position, continue holding it. Cycle your key while holding the door button to unlock two times to run and back to off. Do NOT start it. Only to run. You will hear the horn honk, the doors lock and unlock, then you can stop pushing unlock. Car is now in Program mode. Get your key FOB and hold simultaneously lock and unlock on the key fob. Keep pressing both for about 30 seconds you will hear the locks lock and then unlock. If you have more than one key FOB repeat for each one the holding of the lock and unlock buttons on the FOB being programmed for the 30 seconds. You can have up to 6 fobs. When done, turn key on, DO NOT START. then off. OPEN door. Close door. DONE!

#12 ·
YUP, I saw a You Tube video for this procedure the night before I got my blank cut at Walmart...Not sure just how in exact steps I programmed the key as I was doing it from memory that day, and the FOBS waited till my friend was back as I wasn't sure about this process not having any fob when we got the car. But just HAPPY all works as it should and more than mad at the rip off 2 dealers tried to give me! Trouble was NOT with my rides electronics it was their own gear!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.