Steering problems in 2008 G6 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Angry Steering problems in 2008 G6

I have a 2008 G6 that I bought brand new from the dealership. It has 70,000 miles on it and warranty until 36,000. Had steering shaft replaced at some point since I bought it. Problems I have had were brakes/rotors, steering, noise (squeaking in the front end) I still have that noise, rear locks both broke ($600 to fix), misfiring cylinders (they cleaned the injectors and put some cleaner in, said I had sediment in my gas). Now for the steering problems. Steering wheel starting locking up and moving on its own left and right and vibrating. Moving when I was in park and sitting in the car. Making noises in the steering column, while its moving on its own. Would drive fine some of the time and then bam steering would go nuts and start moving and pulling left and right. Freaked me out, after that I held on tight to the steering wheel. After a week became so bad couldnt drive it safely. My husband thought it was rack and pinion. Not under warranty and dealer wanted $300 to replace part (not including labor). Brought it to a local garage and had the rack changed. No change. Had all the sensors recalibrated. No change. Called GM, told me there is a bulletin for electronic control module covered up to 100,000 miles. Decided to bring it back to the dealership. They said my mechanic was on the right track, but did not calibrate the sensors correctly in the torque sensor and steering shaft. They did it and charged me $95.00. Drove it home. About 15-20 miles after wheel starting turning on its own, making noises, pulling me all over the road and power steering came up on radio. Called GM again and complained. Drove it (had to pull over once it was so bad) back to dealership. Called them in the morning and they told me they drove it 4 times and it was fine. Told me my mechanic was a idiot and may have not put the rack in right. Refused to give me a loaner unless I paid because they lost money on giving me a loaner for my cylinder issue, and/or I could call Enterprise and get a rental from them with a credit card, that I dont have. Tried to explain to him the bulletin, didnt want to hear about it. Said they have to "diagnosis" it first. PS I thought they already did that. Told him about the Changed Park message I had on my radio. Said he never heard of that. I figured out how to fix it on here...thanks! This is on a Saturday, so he cant look at the car until Monday. They have had the car since Wednesday. Gen Manager wasnt in and his head mechanic had the day off. I pretty much hung up on him. He called my husband an hour later. Told him that he called his Gen Man on his day off and they had to offer me a loaner car because they have to stand by their diagnosis they charged me for. Also said they fixing some elses work and problem and we have cost the company over $300...not sure for what. I would have to be in by 12pm with a credit card (I dont have one), and they couldnt offer me a company loaner car. We tried to call another gm dealership so we could bring the car somewhere else, but since it is a Saturday we couldnt get a hold of anyone. So its still there...seriously I was going to leave it there. From posts on here I will call the BBB and file a complaint. This car was so unsafe to drive, the dealership has no desire to figure it out, and they have the poorest customer service I have ever dealt with. THis issue came on suddenly with no warning. Be safe G6 drivers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 AM

I have the 2006 GT Coupe. It has a little over 90,000 miles on it & has been by far the WORST Pontiac I have ever bought since the day I took it off the lot! My laundry list of items are:

5 leaks inside the car: 1 leak at each front seatbelt causing such a stench due to the fact that the seatbelt cannot possibly dry out. I imagine this will create a mold issue since it already smells like mildew. 1 leak at each back panel along the doorframe coming down by the rear window & 1 leak in the dome light. - I found out through this forum that the sunroof drainage tubing had come off & was causing the leaks. Cost me about $125 to repair it.

1 Front Headlight leak - condensation

2 broken mirror covers on the visor. Driver side has broken 4 times, passenger side has broken 3 times. Both broke within a month of owning this car.

1 broken passenger seat handle: this has broken completely off 4 times now. All were covered within the original warranty of the car & now Pontiac refuses to cover it & wants to charge me about $75 just for the part. Why?? It's only going to break off again! Needless to say I feel its a safety hazard to have anyone in the rear passenger seat since they can't quickly exit in an emergency. - I just got this fixed for about $50 including the part but I'm sure it will break again.

Panel attached to the dash at the passenger feet side is coming off.

Steering recall for the G4 & G5 should have escalated to the G6 as well. I had the same exact issue as the recall & GM/Pontiac refused to cover it. Instead they offered me $2000 towards a new Pontiac. In their dreams!! Last year I had to spend $1000 to replace the power steering motor & module because the steering was extremely loose. A slight turn & you'd be off in another direction! Last week my power steering went completely out & I couldn't turn the wheel at all. If my 16 year old had been driving she would have gotten into an accident. I turned the car off & back on all was fine. The steering is even tight now like it should be but it's down at the dealer anyway because I don't trust it.

Starting problem since week 1 of owning the car: I'd turn the key, it would sound like it's starting & then die right away. Dealer of course could not replicate the problem & doesn't have any records of me bringing the car in numerous times for this issue & now the problem has escalated to several times a day instead of maybe once a week. They think it's a dirty or defective throttle body. I can either replace it for $500 or do my 100,000 mile maintenance for $750 which covers cleaning it only. If it needs to be replaced it will cost me an extra $500 to do so.

The driver door handle failed & had to be replaced within a year after I bought the car.

I've even replaced the battery on this car twice..first time was within the first year that I owned it.

It kills me to think of all the money I wasted on this car & now have to put all this money into fixing what I think should be a GM issue!! I'm in the process of pulling all of my service records on it & writing letters to both Pontiac & GM. Not sure it will do me any good but I intend to scream about this car all the way up the chain to the president at GM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in