Steering assist motor replacement...lessons learned? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Hockey Goalie

Steering assist motor replacement...lessons learned?

Ok, so before I go all-in on this project, I've seen a little information about replacing the electric steering assist motor yourself, and I'm just looking to find out who has actually done this and what I should look out for. I bought a 2007 G6 base model in Feb this year and have been having the steering wheel shake on its own for about a month, and the Power Steering flash on the DIC a couple times. GM at least cut me a break on the diagnostic, and they told me there was an internal short in the steering assist motor, and their cost to replace was between $550-600. I have seen the motors on Ebay for anywhere from $45 - $190 from parted-out cars. I'm looking to purchase one and change it myself.
I've seen people say 2 bolts and 3 plugs, easy as cake. Then, I've seen you need the programming tool. My issue is, where was the steering wheel positioned when power was cut for the last time? Will the motor automatically center itself, or will it cut to the left like I have seen some people say it does? I have a friend who has a programming tool, what would I need him to do? I have a Haynes manual, but there isn't any information about changing the motor at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'll probably make a step-by-step tutorial with pics after I do this, unless there is one already and I just haven't found it. Trust me, I have searched! Then, it'll be sit down and grab a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in