2005 V6 G6 hard to steer but not error message. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

2005 V6 G6 hard to steer but not error message.

Hey guys, I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I have a steering issue with my car and have had trouble finding a related issue in the threads. I recently bought this car not knowing it had this stupid set up. If I had I would not have bought it. Anyway, to my point. It it extremely hard to steer the car when going slow speeds or stopped. I have tried on the gravel and it is easy. I have not had an error for the steering or a CEL (check engine light). Why is it so hard to steer and is there a way to fix it besides having to bring it to the dealership? I have contacted gm asking if there was a recall and they told me there was not. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

What year is your G6, I noticed the steering in general is heavier than most cars.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

it's an 05, I have noticed it is stiffer but it shouldn't be to the point that I can't even parallel park with it, it is too hard to turn the wheel. I am not a small man and it is even hard for me let alone my wife whom I originally bought the car for, and now she doesn't even want to drive it. If I had my time back I wouldn't have even bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

If it's so hard that parallel parking is difficult then it does sound like there's a problem, Even with it being harder it's not that hard to where you can't park.

I wonder if the fuse blew or the ground or something got all dirty. The ground is on the drivers side, a wire that is connected to the top of the strut tower, you can take a look at that, make sure it's tight and clean. Next I'd check fuses. I'm not sure which fuse it could be, but it should be in the underhood fuse box. Something worth checking out.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I'll check it out and let you know what I find, I also think I have the known problem with the intermediate shaft, is there a thread on how to fix this, the car makes and awful scrunch when turning past 30 degrees or so both ways. Thanks again.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

There is a how-to on G6P on adding lube to the intermediate steering shaft. This can likely fix that scrunch problem, I wonder if that shaft being all gummed up could be causing the steering to be difficult...

Here's that how-to: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10931
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Well I have checked my fuse, it is good, and as for the Intermediate shaft the thread says not to lubricate it if it is in fact painted, which mine is. So I have no idea why my car makes the scrunch noise. I have read that maybe the strut mounts may cause that as well. Seeing how the car is over 7 years old maybe they need replacing. I am the third or fourth owner of this car so god knows whether or not it has been done. I am slowly losing my patience with this piece of crap. Maybe my motor is dead/dying? Also thought you might like to know that on gravel the wheel is really easy to turn which in my mind would be hard if the motor was dead. Tires have plenty of air as well. Anyway let me know what you think. Thanks again.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

So, I found this on youtube, and think my problem is the factory yoke in the steering rack. maybe. I hope so as it seems to be a pretty cheap fix.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Could very well be that, Weird how it's easier to steer when not on pavement. It does sound like a motor issue. This electronic steering has been such a pain on these car, The fact your intermediate shaft is painted makes me think it has been replaced before. Being an '05 I would have expected it to be the non painted shaft.

I unfortunately am not sure what else to check or look at. There is a user on here that goes by "greenman" they usually post within the problems and solutions section. He would know what else you could try. If the motor itself is on it's way out it could be a pricey fix. Hopefully though it's something less serious.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in