Intermediate Steering Shaft - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Intermediate Steering Shaft

I own a 2005 Pontiac G6 and I've been having a clunking noise coming from the steering. My mechanic tells me though it is annoying, it's not a safety issue and it won't give out. Should I be worried about this? I am a person who does alot of travelling with my family and knowing I have this problem is a bit scary. I've spoken to other G6 owners and most, if not all of them has had the same problem. After they had it fixed, the problem still comes back. Anybody have any advice on this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Simple lube job will last 6 mon to a year, don't even need to remove a panel.
Under dash.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

There's a how-to on lubing that shaft here: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I've had it done several times, and it doesn't last long at all though.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:53 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

What kind of grease did you use? I think the GM grease they want you to use is thicker and stickier, but I'm not sure...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 07:39 PM

Is there a fix for the painted shaft? I have a 2009--early build date, and I'm pretty sure it's the painted one. I also noticed that the picture in post #2 seems to be the painted shaft that you're not supposed to lube. Any thoughts?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
Is there a fix for the painted shaft? I have a 2009--early build date, and I'm pretty sure it's the painted one. I also noticed that the picture in post #2 seems to be the painted shaft that you're not supposed to lube. Any thoughts?
Post 2 pix is from a GM TSB, so doubt it's painted.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6owner_1980 View Post
I own a 2005 Pontiac G6 and I've been having a clunking noise coming from the steering. My mechanic tells me though it is annoying, it's not a safety issue and it won't give out. Should I be worried about this? I am a person who does alot of travelling with my family and knowing I have this problem is a bit scary. I've spoken to other G6 owners and most, if not all of them has had the same problem. After they had it fixed, the problem still comes back. Anybody have any advice on this issue?

Man, I am having a rattling/shaking problem in the steering column, a friend of mine said its a baring and I need to replace it. It starting happening around 40 mph and higher, and if I turn slightly it goes away!

Does this detail help you any?

Anybody have any tips/pics on this?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Man, I am having a rattling/shaking problem in the steering column, a friend of mine said its a baring and I need to replace it. It starting happening around 40 mph and higher, and if I turn slightly it goes away!

Actually quote on quote, if I turn slight left it goes away, gets kinda worse turning slight right.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:

gearhead,

Would you please PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I can check my resources for any known issues for you?

Louis
GM Customer Service

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 AM

Left wheel bearing, jack it up and check it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
gearhead,

Would you please PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I can check my resources for any known issues for you?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Vin# 64216550

Any help would be great, thanks so much...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slls View Post
Left wheel bearing, jack it up and check it.

Really?!?! I thought wheel baring s cause grinding?

I mean "by all means" I will check it out!!

Thanks for the help...

You would think with the G6 having so many steering issues that some recalls would start happening. Lol
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Vin# 64216550

Any help would be great, thanks so much...
gearhead,

Thank you for providing the last 8-digits of your VIN. I have researched your vehicle, however, there are currently no open recalls or known steering issues as you’ve described.

I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to provide more information after doing so.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
gearhead,

Thank you for providing the last 8-digits of your VIN. I have researched your vehicle, however, there are currently no open recalls or known steering issues as you’ve described.

I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to provide more information after doing so.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Thanks for checking!

Any other tips or advice on what this may be??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in